Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting this for my cousin who is out of the forum scene these days. He's gotta '00 GT w/ a built up 2V pushing 565 RWHP. His car has been down for a while, getting rearend work done to it. He upgraded the axles, and diff.. The mechanic working on it said that the Side Bearing on the driver side is about ready to spin, and once it does there is nothing the mechanic can do for it. What does he have to swap out????

This is basically all the info he has given me, and i'm not educated enough on rearends. Is the side bearings, the "carrier bearings" or are they the bearings that are on the outside next to the C-clips? If i could get some education as well as some modifications that have been done to beef up this apparent weak spot, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Cody

·
Registered
106 Posts
He is probably talking about the carrier bearings. I had a customers rear-end do this over the weekend. If that's what he meant the only true way to fix it is to transfer everything to a new housing with new carrier bearings.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If the carrier races spun, yes. I wasn't able to locate a new rear-end over the weekend so we used a punch on the mains to make a knurl. As of right now its working well enough to allow him to get around until we build another one.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the carrier races spun, yes. I wasn't able to locate a new rear-end over the weekend so we used a punch on the mains to make a knurl. As of right now its working well enough to allow him to get around until we build another one.
Mark Williams offers an aftermarket cap. If the race hasn't spun yet this will buy him sometime. I told my cousin that I plan on swapping over to a moser 9" this upcoming winter. I will probably just give him my center section since mine won't be abused as much as his.

·
Geology and Cars
1,650 Posts
So are you guys getting a new housing straight from Ford?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So are you guys getting a new housing straight from Ford?
Just the Carrier Housing. No need to replace the entire axle. Just the hogs head "center section" is hurt. The carrier bearings mount to the center section which hold the differential.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts