Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have an S trim on my 99 cobra and would like to convert to the 8 rib kit. I was told that I could use the pullies from a 98+F150 which are 8 rib. I was wondering what problems I might come across while doing the install. I know that I will have to space out the blower> is there enough room for the power pipe to fit? I understand that I will have to get an F150 belt tensioner also> and then change the pulley? Anyone have more detailed info. that what I already have. I dont know much about the process> but would like to get all the info as possible to make for a much easier install. I am pushing 15 psi. of boost> w/o ice in the cooler my car made 623rwhp> then my belt smoked when we added ice in ther cooler> I think the 8 rib kit will help some.
THANKS for any help!

·
Registered
115 Posts
have you considered a reichard pulley. i would suggest one of them first as it would be less costly then a entire 8 rib set and install. i know i didn't answer your question about what problems you might encounter. maybe someone else has the answer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have considered it> but I dont think It will give me as much grip as the 8 rib setup> I dont mind spending the money to do it right> so that I will have less of a chance of belt slipping. Maybe the reichard pulley with the 8 rib setup> now that would be something.
Thanks for the reply :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
wikd281

I am running the 8 rib set up..Yes came off of F150 Lightning..Need to grind alittle on the blower bracket and alternator..Had trouble with idler pulley supplied by Vortech (too short) and come to find out they do not use the hi rpm bearings in their pulley. After frying 2 idler pulleys I had one Mfg. to fit the case for 15 $ more than Vortech charges for thier off the shelf.Last blow in pulley Vortech reimbursed me for a new blower bracket and pulley..no questions asked.

I am runnin the S trim with 3.125 pulley, aftclr, anderson pwr. pipe and pulling 16 lbs in 1st and 2nd and 15 in 3rd and 4th.

Have not dynoed since the drop in pulley size and the 8 rib set up Last dyno still had break in oil and 700 miles on my 4th motor. So for everything is holdimg together well Stock T 45 tranny.:D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply! What manufacterer did you go with for the high speed bearings? I was told that SHM has a kit that will work> but> a friend of mine installed it and must of not shimmed the blower properly> because he kept blowing belts> blew around 7 of them and then went back to 6 rib> never could align it properly. Is your motor built> those are some nice numbers you pulled there! If you want to put in a 6 speed> I have one for sale> that came out of my car. I am have about the same setup> the 3.125 pulley> and I see 15pounds.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Do not have to do any shimming.:D
Blowing blower belts is due to the wrong size idler pulley made by Vortech..1/4" too short. Causes belt to shred and blow.. I went thru 3 belts and 2 idler pulleys.

Had Auto Specialities Plus make me the new idler pulley...they have the engineering to mfg. anything you need.
In Stafford Tex.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So> you didnt have to shim out the blower to fit the 8 rib pulley in between the valve cover and the blower? I dont think on my 99 that there is enough room there? I was told that you will have to shim it around a 1/4 ". Thats great if I dont have to shim it! So> on your setup> all the pullies bolted right on from the F150> but the only piece that you had to buy from auto specialties was the idler pulley> if I call them> will they know the size and all> or will I have to measure it out for them?
Thanks for the help!
:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
They will know! (281) 261-8845 I have a new 99 block. I do not know what the differance could be.

should bolt right up! I did at first try shimming , but was not necessary. Alignment was perfect without shimming. Grind lt. side of alternator and blower bracket where idler plulley connects and some small spots wher belt will hit bracket . the belt you use is critical, depending on pulley size. Had to go directly to Gates to purchase belt . Not on the West Coast:D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right on man! Thanks for the reply> when you going back to the track? I think that we have talked before on cafords.com? You are friends with Crash? Good to hear from you again and thanks for the vital info. > I will start with some phone calls tomm.
Thanks!
Harold.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Your Welcome..Good Luck! Yes Jason is a friend along with a few other hot rods in Manteca. All good people!

Larry/ sometimes know as the little Pea****.:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you guys use the lightning tensioner or did you use the stock one with an eight rib pulley? I hear that you need to move up to the f-150 tensioner because you need more tension on the 8rib over the 6 rib............

·
Registered
41 Posts
Stock

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Streetracer> thanks for the reply! I checked out the website> its got some really usefull info> perfect! Hey> which car was it that made 1000rwhp? Was that your cobra with the T trim?
Crazy stuff man!

·
Registered
98 Posts
hehe

WIKD 281 -- yep, the website has some good info. No, that wasn't my car (if you're referring to the "pegged" dyno run) :) Although I shouldn't be too far behind with the 5.4 dohc/88mm turbo setup..

·
Registered
98 Posts
yup

hey there. yup it's there. i wish i had some results to share :) for some reason it's not wanting to start back up. i drove it down to TBP march '02... did some tranny/rear end work, was going to do the t-trim/intercooled setup... scrapped that idea and brought it to PTK in San Antonio... brought it back to TBP to be finished up and started but now it won't start! lol

hopefully mark @ turbo tune can get it going. something probably came loose or a frayed wire of some sort.. who knows.

the underhood wiring is a snake's nest. :) worse comes to worse it will just be pulled out and redone, neatly.. hehe

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Chico> I just wanted to make sure I was straight on all the info. that I gathered from your posts. You used your factory 6 rib tensioner? Did you change the pulley on the tensioner to the 8 rib from the Lightning? Also> you changed to the high speed idler pulley? Thats the only two things that I will have to get other than FORD?
thanks for any help!
Harold.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts