Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well the heart of the project just showed up earlier today. using a cobra MMR shortblock thats good for 900whp, patriot stage 2 heads, xe262ah-13 cams, twin ebay turbo, and a used MMR pro trans 900. waiting on some fox body a arms so i can get the car to a welder. im wanting to get the holes welded up in the bay before paint.
here is what im working with....

well last night was nothing but problems. started assembling the motor, starting fromt he bottom and there was no stud to attach the pickup tube. luckly after digging through some of my old stuff i was able to find an arp mainstud with the threated tip for the pickup tube. then proceeded to assemble the top and couldnt get the harmonic balancer bolt to thread in. ended up setting the motor TDC using a flywheel bolt from the back. finally got the long block assembled and now the cam gears are off with the comp cams cant degree the cams using the dots on the cam gear.
so now im waiting on a degree wheel and the motor will be done.

started on the manual brake conversion. now that the steering shaft is connected and the 87 manual rack is bolted up, the tie rod ends are to short. so i replace the 00a arms with some fox body a arms...... now to the problems.... my a arms are a little over 1/4 wider then the UPRs i had in the car. these are 89 QA1s vs. 00 UPRs.

·
Registered
895 Posts
congrats

Hey, congrats on getting things going. Seems like a typical modular build-up, nothing fits. One thing though, I was looking at that wiped-out cam lobe and was wondering if you are using that again? I wouldn't...

Sounds like you are running into the typical mix-match issues on suspension. As you combine parts from different aftermarket manufacturers and some oem parts, you will discover slight variances, like you did. You may need to switch to the longer length tie rods from the SN-95 chassis. If you are using a Fox r&p unit, you may need new inner tie rod ends also.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, congrats on getting things going. Seems like a typical modular build-up, nothing fits. One thing though, I was looking at that wiped-out cam lobe and was wondering if you are using that again? I wouldn't...

Sounds like you are running into the typical mix-match issues on suspension. As you combine parts from different aftermarket manufacturers and some oem parts, you will discover slight variances, like you did. You may need to switch to the longer length tie rods from the SN-95 chassis. If you are using a Fox r&p unit, you may need new inner tie rod ends also.
the problem with using 4.6 a arms is you have the goofy looking wheel stance. i hate the tire sticking out the front fender well. the fox body a arms will allow me to use the 87 manual rack and help bring the tires in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.