Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

INSTALL QUESTIONS / MM caster camber plates with stock springs

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  cmperfmnce 
#1 ·
These struts are gas struts and do not compress easily.

How did you compress them to remove the stuff we are supposed to remove?

Exactly what was removed and what is retained?

Regarding the MM bump stops.. Are they required with our OE Bilstiens? I thought Bilstiens had internal bump stops...:hmm:

Anyone know of a good 03/04 Cobra specific how to with pics??

Thanks...:thanks:

#2 ·
I followed the MM instructions. It was a fairly easy install. Don't use the provided bumpstops. Bilstein's have internal bumpstops as you mentioned. It helps to remove the struts completely when you locate and drill the hole for the cc plates. If you don't have the instructions you can view them on the mm website.

#3 ·
I know, the supplied instructions are for the aftermarket Bilsteins. You really should try to get the aftermarket bilstein boots before you do the job. The factory boots are a real pain to get them to work properly with the CC plates. I did not use the mm supplied bumpstops when I installed my plates. To remove the strut, I put the front of the car on jackstands (under the frame, control arm must be free to move). Place a jack under the control arm to support to support it and remove the sway bar links. I then loosened the upper stud bolt, then the 2 lower spindle bolts. raise, or lower the jack until you are able to completely remove the UPPER spindle bolt. then raise the jack slightly to completely remove the upper strut stud bolt. lower the jack slowly. the control arm will swing all the way down and the strut will come free from the upper mount. BE SURE TO REMOVE THE UPPER SPINDLE BOLT BEFORE DOING THIS OR THE STRUT SHAFT WILL SWING OUT WHEN IT COMES FREE FROM THE UPPER MOUNT AND POSSIBLY CATCH THE LIP OF YOUR FENDER.

#4 ·
MM instructions say to remove the factory bump stop and use theirs so leave in the factory one and don't use the MM one?

#6 ·
It appears from doing a little more searching and asking around....(here and SVTperf)

If we are doing conventional springs and OEM Bilstiens we are to delete the factory bump stop and dust boot altogether and just put it in naked.

Anyone else come to that conclusion???

#5 ·
Thanks guys!!

I am going to remove one of the sway bar connections to allow the lower arm to drop down more so I don't have to wrestle the gas charged strut shaft down any more.

I think MM could do a better job on the instruction by making them less generic and stating more clearly what gets used and what doesn't with regard to coilover vs conventional springs...... and aftermarket vs OEM struts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.