Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Kinda goes by hp or how much boost , if you are making 430-460
the 9" is fine, 490 up the 12", I still have the 9" , I will install the 12" soon. I have them on order
nitro

·
Registered
246 Posts
Sitting still on a dyno probably not going to show much gains but going down the 1/4 mile i believe the 12"inch helps.I have seen a modded 03 cobra and a 00 lightning install 12"inch filters at the track and there mph went up over there 9"inch that they had on.I recently changed to a 12" inch filter and am very pleased on how the car performs with it on compared to the in the fender unit i was using.

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
ALLNTRL said:
FYI, S&B also makes a 10" filter, I got one sitting right here on the floor! :D The part # is R40-010PS if anyone wants one. ;)
Who carries these Filters? How good are they?Do they come with open end?

jim v.

·
Registered
459 Posts
When I was at the dyno and after the car was tuned to 463rwhp SAE I removed the 9" that comes w/ the Densecharger and ran it wide open and picked up at most 3-4rwhp so I'm not sure a 12" will get you much at that level w/ that CAI.. thats all I can say since thats all Ive tried, no track comparison which would be real helpful as well.. Jerry

·
Registered
191 Posts
Jim Vaccaro said:
Who carries these Filters? How good are they?Do they come with open end?

jim v.
Jim, I special ordered it from a company called Bakerprecision out of Califorinia. But, this place had ABSOLUTELY the WORST customer service I have ever had from ANYONE!!!! I found them on the net one night as being a S&B dealer with the correct size filter to fit the '03 Cobra listed but in a 10". So I called them to see about getting one and Of course they didn't have one in stock, so I asked if they could order me one and they said sure no problem but it would take 2-3 weeks to get it to me I said ok go ahead and get me one and I would like it with a Black end cap they said ok. Well, my time goes by and still no filter, I call and they say should be here any time, well to make a long story short 2 MONTH'S later I finally get my filter open the box and it is the correct size but it has a chrome end cap! :mad: Anyway, now that I have a part # any S&B filter dealer (Amazon) should be able to order you one. This S&B is just like the 9" & 12" one's everybody else is selling except it's just 10" instead and YES it does have the opening on the end as well, that is what the PS in the part # stands for (powerstack). I don't know if you could use a 12" filter will your PHP air box, but I bet you could use a 10". ;) :D Hope that helps.

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Thank's.. I'll find one...

jim v.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Jim, you can get the endcap in black instead of chrome(they're available either way) you just need to specifiy which you want. ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Jerry, the DC filter is a 6", not a 9". Or, you've somehow managed to do what none of us have, and got a 9" from John? :confused:

So what your saying is that you picked up 3 or 4 rhp with NO filter attached, compared to the 6"?

Some information I've seen has told me that a 6" filter is good for up to 600 crank hp, while others say 475rhp is the limit of what it can take, and that a 9" is a must at that point.

I'm one confused Toad at this point......

·
Registered
189 Posts
Would a 12" filter fit? Looks a little too tight.

·
Registered
459 Posts
OverToad said:
Jerry, the DC filter is a 6", not a 9". Or, you've somehow managed to do what none of us have, and got a 9" from John? :confused:

So what your saying is that you picked up 3 or 4 rhp with NO filter attached, compared to the 6"?

Some information I've seen has told me that a 6" filter is good for up to 600 crank hp, while others say 475rhp is the limit of what it can take, and that a 9" is a must at that point.

I'm one confused Toad at this point......
Toad, sorry you're right, it IS the 6" that I have w/ the DC. And yes when I removed the 6" filter off the DC and ran it NO filter it picked up 3-4 hp near the top end. Some of that 3-4 hp could have been run-run variance, the other was probably a slight gain.

Jerry

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
What does everyone use the open end of the filter for?? Is it so U can pull the headlight at the track ??? I am thinking of a big open ended filter for my car as well, but would like some sort of ram air like the JLP , anyone care to elaborate??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts