Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'vehad my Terminator Fox running for about 5-6 years and now going to tackle thetask of hooking up the A/C. The engine is wired with a hand built standalonefactory 03 cobra harness, and was hoping I could get the A/C working as astandalone with just sending a signal to the ECU that the AC system is on toincrease RPM's.

I'mgoing to use the Fox HVAC box and modify the cobra A/C line and dryer so Idon't have to pull the dash out. This is the simple part the wiring on theother hand may not be. I built the standalone harness off schematics and pretty knowledgeable of the wiring just need as much info as possible before I start this new project.

Afterdoing some research it seems the Cobra A/C system is on a network and can notjust get a simple 12 volt signal to adjust for the A/C compressor engaging. I'mnot 100% sure on this hopping its not true and I can just send a signal to theECU.

Anyonedone a terminator standalone engine harness and the A/C systemseparately?

Ihave another ECU and power distribution harness but was not wanting to rewirethe entire car and cut holes in my smooth engine bay.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I ordered the ford wiring diagram book and pretty sure i got the wiring figured out. Next step is the low and high pressure hoses.

Any one have pictures of the AC hoses routing and the how the dryer mounting on their swap. I'm using the factory 03 terminator AC hoses and dry but cant seem to get the dryer to fit in a way that routes the line around the air intake.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'vehad my Terminator Fox running for about 5-6 years and now going to tackle thetask of hooking up the A/C. The engine is wired with a hand built standalonefactory 03 cobra harness, and was hoping I could get the A/C working as astandalone with just sending a signal to the ECU that the AC system is on toincrease RPM's.

I'mgoing to use the Fox HVAC box and modify the cobra A/C line and dryer so Idon't have to pull the dash out. This is the simple part the wiring on theother hand may not be. I built the standalone harness off schematics and pretty knowledgeable of the wiring just need as much info as possible before I start this new project.

Afterdoing some research it seems the Cobra A/C system is on a network and can notjust get a simple 12 volt signal to adjust for the A/C compressor engaging. I'mnot 100% sure on this hopping its not true and I can just send a signal to theECU.

Anyonedone a terminator standalone engine harness and the A/C systemseparately?

Ihave another ECU and power distribution harness but was not wanting to rewirethe entire car and cut holes in my smooth engine bay.
Could you please tell me about your standalone factory harness? I have a similar setup but cant get the factory to work.. what do i need to do?

·
Administrator
9,679 Posts
Something to keep in your consciousness as you perform one of these swaps of a Terminator ECU is the PATS. If you have not turned it off in the tune then you need to fully implement the PATS system which is all but impossible because your generation Mustang does not use the PATS hardware that the ECU is looking for. That only leaves you with the disable it in the ECU alternative. If you don't then the PATS logic will think the car is being stolen and prevent starting the engine.

You would find it decidedly to your advantage to replace the OEM ECU with an MS3PPro Plug and Play aftermarket unit. Much better tuning feature set, much better engine protections, flex-fuel capable, and on and on. Oh, BTW it also runs the OEM dash in the 03/03 cars which means it might run the Fox dash also. Am I correct when I suspect the 03/04 dash will fit into a Fox dashboard? If I am, a trip to the salvage yard could get you a dash also.

The other thing to remember is Ford quit manufacturing new ECUs for the Terminators, years ago. If you ever need a replacement it is all but non-existent. That generation of car is coming up on 20 years old and even the aftermarket begins to step back from supporting selected parts. The logic is pretty straightforward, a car that old that needs that level of replacement part has depreciated to the point that it is more likely to be scrapped than to have someone spend the money to have it repaired. Additionally, the enthusiast community has multiple aftermarket alternatives to replace the ECU with. The normal aftermarket suppliers that you get at the corner parts store move on to more current models where they can sell parts.

Reactions: mercenvy
1 - 4 of 4 Posts