Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's Cobra has started to get hot, and the battery charge is running low. What could be causing these problems. I put underdrive pulleys on it over a year ago. Never had any problems until two weeks ago.

any suggestions? I would prefer to not have to put the stock pulleys back on.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I don't.. I had thought of putting one on sometime ago.. But never did.. I am thinking these two problems have to be related in someway since they started the same day. :confused:

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
The manual fan switch burnt up my CCRM twice; I would just upgrade to a better radiator. As far as the battery voltage running low, run my autozone and let them test it. I think both problems appearing on the same day is just a coinsidence. I don't see them being related. good luck

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys.. I may just end up putting the stock pulleys back on. Does anyone know if the 96-98 pulleys will work on the 99?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, it died.. I think the alternator went out today. The car died on her in the drive-thru at Subway. So, I have to go fix that afterwork in her work parking lot. Someone jumped her off and she limped across the street back to her work.

I guess I am going to pull the pulleys off and put them on my car. :D
I also need to find a local salesman for Water-Wetter, maybe that will help the cooling problem. :/

·
Registered
257 Posts
Like Chad said, I think you are jumping to fast to blame it on the pulleys. If you had them on for a yr and the car just started with electrical problems, I say its the alternator. The car running hotter could be the pulleys but the electrical is totally unrelated. Have you tested the alt to see voltage output at idle vs at 1500 rpm ? Its also possible that the ccrm is bad, not letting the fans operate properly and pulling power off the car when not being used. Like I said, I think you have a electrical problem and its not the pulleys. I know its very hot thos time of year in East Texas but didnt drive car simular temps last yr ? You mention the car heating up, does it only do it at idle ? Does it cool down when you raise rpms ?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really didn't think it could be the pulleys since I had them on for a while.. But I put the stock alternator pulley back on anyways. I put the new alt. on this evening, the other one was only putting out 7 volts. I did discover a small coolant leak where the line on the pass. side goes into the head/block whichever it is. I had a small puddle under the intake. I also wanted to ask about some stuff I found at O'Reilly's; it is a coolant that is supposed to drop the temp up to 28 degrees. it was a one gallon can that you have to drain the system, add this stuff, and then fill with water. You don't use a regular coolant with it. I think it was called "Cool like Ice"... anyone heard of this?

EDIT: I forgot.. the car was heating up driving around town, to the point of the A/C not blowing cold... But once I got moving again and revved it up good, it would cool back down. I replaced the thermostat last summer too. I might check that again if I try this new coolant stuff.

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Tony 96 Cobra said:

EDIT: I forgot.. the car was heating up driving around town, to the point of the A/C not blowing cold... But once I got moving again and revved it up good, it would cool back down. I replaced the thermostat last summer too. I might check that again if I try this new coolant stuff.

Bingo, you have a problem. I bet your electric fan isnt working. With the car cold, start it, turn on a/c. The high speed fan should come on, if it doesnt you have a electrical problem and need to trace it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts