Making my 96 GT into a Cobra

• Keep the gt engine and make it a 4 valve

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I am wanting to make my 96 Mustang GT into a 4 valve Cobra! I was wondering what parts were needed and what needed to be done. I am wanting it to be as close to a cobra as possible! What all is neccesary to make this happen? (Or would it just be cheaper to buy a Cobra engine? Most Cobra engines I have looked at are around $2,200)

·
Wangan GTO
1,425 Posts
There are quite a few threads on the boards with this covered. In the end it's worth it but it is costly and if you've never done a swap before then it'll take a little more time. There is a guy who's done the write up but I don't know where it's at. I'm sure he'll be in here soon. Personally, I'd just drop a P.I. 2v motor in there with cams and spray and call it a day.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would just do a PI heads, cam and maifold. I did a 4V swap a couple years ago and it came out to be cheap for me cuz i found the motor for $1000 and my mechanic only charged me $400. My friend has a 98 with a Pi sway, full bolt ons and 373, and i had intake exuast and also 373 and we were always dead even. Thats why i would keep the 2V and parts are also cheaper for 2V's.

·
Geology and Cars
1,650 Posts
I'm going 4v as well OP. If you are talking about a 96-98 Cobra engine, the only thing needing to be swapped is ECU, Instrument cluster, and of course the cooling system from a 97-up Cobra as the 96 would be inadequate and improperly setup.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Not trying to hijack your thread but,
couldnt you find a mark8 motor for less than the cobra motor.
And what is the difference?

·
Registered
889 Posts
I am just finishing up my Cobra engine swap in my 04' GT . I did my swap from scratch . As in I did not have ANY Cobra parts . It was really expensive . And needed a ton of little parts that I never thought about . I used the best of the best parts . So I got exactly what I wanted . And did not use a budget . Just bought whatever I wanted . If I were to do it again . I would look for a complete donor engine . And go from there .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
About the mark8 motor... I've been told by a few people that there are many parts on the cobra that the mark8 motor doesn't have. In the long run you would be buying parts for that too..

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Don't have to swap the computer.
The swap is worth it. I have never met a 2v that kept up with my N/A 4v when I had it. Hell a 530rwhp 06 gt barely kept up with my 363rwhp 32v. 32v + 4.30 gears = FTW!

http://www.modularrevolution.com/4V Swap.htm

Thatll help.

·
Wangan GTO
1,425 Posts
Can we sticky this ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.