Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i actually found out that @.550 the 96 heads out flow p.i. heads it's from .1 up to .450 the pi heads are stronger..... so shouldn't the old heads have a better peak # (hp) and less average i don't understand can some one explain this please. on the link scroll down and there are charts.

www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/0302MMFF_MixMatch/

·
Registered
24 Posts
the cam takes the valve from closed to open and back to closed at each intake stroke, so what matters is how much air gets through the valve in the whole process, not at any particular lift.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx for the info

·
Registered
257 Posts
How many times will this be beat to death ?

The Heads might flow better at .550 but here is the problem, nobody makes cams with that much lift. Another point that has been said alot is your peak numbers are not as important as the numbers where you spend more time .100 to .450 lift. You are only at peak lift for a couple degrees of the entire rotation of the cam. I hate to knock 96-98 heads and I know there are defenders of these heads but they suk compared to anything else. I dont care what kind of flow numbers have been shown, there are no fast cars with 96 style heads.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
put a 200 shot on it and then say that again

·
Registered
80 Posts
Point of interest, CompCams Extreme Energy 4.6/5.4 cams are available with .550" lift intake and exhaust.

·
Registered
257 Posts
GT281 said:
Point of interest, CompCams Extreme Energy 4.6/5.4 cams are available with .550" lift intake and exhaust.
Lemme put it this way, Lets say you have a Waterhose, Hose # 1 flows 10 Gallons per minute at peak opening but Hose #2 only flows 8 Gallons per minute. Hose #2 moves more water everywhere but peak. If you open the valves at the same rate and close at the same rate, which bucket will have more water ? Hose #1 or Hose #2 ? Now apply this to the heads, the 99 Style heads move more overall volume. The few degrees your at peak dont make up for the other 360 degrees you move nothing. Also a point that hasnt been brought up, the 96-98 might have better intake flow rates at peak but what good is that if the exhuast numbers are weak and cant move the air out of the chamber. The 96-98 have smaller valves than the 99 heads.

Get it ????

·
Registered
227 Posts
John M. said:
[BAlso a point that hasnt been brought up, the 96-98 might have better intake flow rates at peak but what good is that if the exhuast numbers are weak and cant move the air out of the chamber. The 96-98 have smaller valves than the 99 heads.

Get it ???? [/B]
the 6 cats dont help any either...if they still got the stock h pipe

·
Registered
28 Posts
Right, peak flow don't mean squat, unless your cam is ground to take advantage of it (ie; has a higher lift ground into the cam than the peak flow lift.) and your right again about time spent at the lift points, even if a cam is ground to take advantage of it, the valve will only spend a little time at or above peak lift compared to the rest of the valve event.

As for the stock cats, does anybody have reliable flow figures for the stock H-pipe?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts