Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a '96 4.6 Thunderbird w/50k. Car at current is totally stock save for a set of 17" Cobra rims. I want to turn this floater into the ultimate sleeper:evil Where do I start??? Help me out here guys, I'm new to the modular Ford world!

Thanks,
'96 Bird

·
Registered
19 Posts
I recommend checkin this board... http://mtcforum.zeroforum.com/

There are a lot of options for you. 4v's have been swapped in, 2v's have been built and dropped in. Some guys have gone to a five speed. I'm looking into a PI motor swap in the near future and when money allows a built cobra block and ported 2v heads.

Good luck and welcome to the minority:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
4point6Bird said:
Just bought a '96 4.6 Thunderbird w/50k. Car at current is totally stock save for a set of 17" Cobra rims. I want to turn this floater into the ultimate sleeper:evil Where do I start??? Help me out here guys, I'm new to the modular Ford world!

Thanks,
'96 Bird
There are almost as many options to modify the motor as there are for Mustangs. I started modding my car with suspension and chassis mods, which I bet Johnny Langton would agree is a good start ;). I just got done putting new '03 cylinder heads on my motor and netted almost 50hp. You can make good power with the stock heads if you open up the intake and exhaust on the car like JL did. Gears and transmission mods also help quite a bit as these cars are heavy and require steeper gears and/or a higher stall torque converter to get them moving. A chip is also a wise investment, it modifies the transmission shift patterns, converter lockup and spark curves for some more gains. Your stock exhaust is incredibly restrictive, and a headers to tips exhaust will definately free up some lost power.

Check out my website in my signature for my experiences with my T-Bird.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts