Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

HPP Twin Turbo build

82K views 360 replies 60 participants last post by  Zwestrum 
#1 · (Edited)
I figured I might as well get a thread going before I get real busy. The build is starting to roll along pretty quickly. Parts are showing up on a daily basis. Tony showed most of the stuff in his thead. My build is very similar so I'll try for the most part not to duplicate what he has already shown. Twin BB 61's. So far battery relocation is done, K-Member and arms in, Intercooler and alum. bumper support(bumper support built by Brett..thanks!!!) pre fitted. Several other small tasks done as well. I know it isn't alot but alot more will follow. Wade and the HPP guys are AWESOME!!! Best customer service I have ever seen hands down. Black chrome cold side and the turbos should be enroute soon:rock:

Some misc pics to starts out.
Eboost2

HPPK-member installed

HPP K-member

Alum bumper and intercooler

Hotside

Alum bumper support, notched for intercooler.

Blurry Tial BOV

H-itemp Wastegates

Sullivan rail machined by HPP for the FRPS

Battery relocation stuff:

See less See more
#48 ·
COPYCAT :rofl2:

Just kiddin' Rod... those are some nice looking wheels but I suppose I'm a bit biased :bigwink: Hot and cold sides are SICK looking... can't wait to see this thing in person. Give me a call sometime soon about what we were discussing before and let me know what you've come up with and about when you'll be ready. I STILL don't have the vert ready to go yet and it will be a year next Tuesday :sorry: I'll be free for a convo after 9:00pm Saturday and anytime Sunday afternoon.

I swear if I don't get a ride in your whip I'm gonna be pissed :beer:

Shannon

#16 ·
Thanks everyone! I'll update the thread with more pics along the way.

Dats the plan...we'll see if I can do it justice with the stick. I'm not opposed to going auto but I'd like to see what I can do with the stick. Not to mention my bank is about dried up,lol.
Looking good Rod! Those wheels are gonna look killer on there! I gotta check it out next time I'm down that way.
Yeah they look great on the car,sorry no pics yet. I quickly test fitted them, they are a tight fit. The wheels are 7.5 BS. I may have to get some weight jackers or go to stock GT springs to keep them from rubbing on the inside of the fenderwell. I don't really want to use a spacer.
Stop by anytime man. :beer:

Heck yeah!! When you get that beast together, we need "play" a little. :beer:
That can be arranged for sure.

#15 ·
Heck yeah!! When you get that beast together, we need "play" a little. :beer:

#24 ·
Rod(highoctane) had that piece custom made. I like the idea... Still plenty of airflow with some structural purpose. The intercooler mounts to the front bumper support and it does not have to be cut for the install. We just recommend it for the added airflow.:headspin: Also, there is no need for an upgraded intercooler on our kit. The standard one supports 1300 fwhp, and Rod's is good for about 50-100 more. We used a Bell core on his setup.

-Wade

#25 ·
You could add a Turbonator to that and make an additional 25-35 rwhp according to the add that ebay just generated!

Another amazing build. Looks awesome!

Question, does the kit come with scavenge pumps to deal with drain back issues, or is it address another way?

#28 ·
You could add a Turbonator to that and make an additional 25-35 rwhp according to the add that ebay just generated!

Another amazing build. Looks awesome!

Question, does the kit come with scavenge pumps to deal with drain back issues, or is it address another way?
Our kit doesnt have any drainback issues. The turbos are mounted high enough to provide ample drain to the pan. A customer did try to "Y" his turbos into one -10 drain (Moroso Pan). It just wasnt enough flow. He put a second -10 drain and it was fine.

#39 ·
Rod build looks like its coming along !!! I'll tell ya if your car turns out similar to Tony's you will have a smile 24/7. His car on a wimpy 17lbs, virtually no timing , and a trunk full of tools who knows what it weighed pulled very very hard, super impressed with this kit and the power it made @ low boost .

#41 ·
Their setups are very very similar as far as the kit goes. The kit itself and Precision BB 61mm turbos. However, Rod has the newer style covers with a 4" Inlet and 2.5" Discharge on the compressor housing. The exhaust housing are exactly the same. The wheels are the same design, but slightly different in size. Also, Rod has ported heads and the Crower blower cams where Tony has the GT cams and stock heads. I believe Rod is using John Lund for tuning as well. Should be a nice comparison all said and done.

The biggest issue Rod will have IMHO, will be his returnless fuel system. Who knows, maybe Rod will stretch it further than others....:good:

#43 ·
I am just wondering about those Cams. Everything I have heard is they will be down on power vs a stock 03 grind with a turbo setup????

#45 · (Edited)
Trust me I hear you. I had many sleepless nights over the cams. The thing is apparently the Corwer stage III's aren't really that great of a blower cam. I talked to alot of knowledgeable guys at length. At first they all said "blower cams?Toss em!" But after more in depth conversaiton and giving them the specs they actually said they should work well. Some of the people that I spoke to that said keep them are Tim Barth, Scott fromVT sand a gentlemen from MMR( It's been about a month I can't remember his name but he was very knowlegeable about cams.) Any of these guys could have easily said take them out and buy my turbo cams, but none did. They said based on the specs they should be pretty decent turbocams.. They all said a custom grind would do better but that the Crowers would be better than stock.

The Crower specs are 228/228 on a 114 lsa. That is 0 over lap at .050

Maybe that is why the Corwer Stg III's are not very impressive on a blower car. At least not imo,I've never seen strong evidence they make any real power on a blower car. A blower cam needs more exhaust duration and a little less intake IIRC. Either way I guess time will tell. After those conversations I couldn't justify spending the money and labor based off the blanket internet statement that blower cams suck on a turbo car. If I get it together and it is down on power I guess we will know and I will have taken one for the team.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.