Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it necessary to remove the power steering unit/pully when removing the front cover on the 4.6L 4V?

Any other tips/shortcuts, etc., will be appreciated!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Is it necessary to remove the power steering unit/pully when removing the front cover on the 4.6L 4V?

Any other tips/shortcuts, etc., will be appreciated!
Yes. Are you doing this in car? What is the reason for pulling the cover?

·
Registered
162 Posts
You can actually get the whole assembly off without pulling the pulley off if you dont have a puller/installer. It will take a little longer but you can stick a wrench through the pulley to loosen the bolts. You can get a ratchet and socket on a couple of the bolts. To answer your question though yes it has to come off.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You can actually get the whole assembly off without pulling the pulley off if you dont have a puller/installer. It will take a little longer but you can stick a wrench through the pulley to loosen the bolts. You can get a ratchet and socket on a couple of the bolts. To answer your question though yes it has to come off.
I agree with pulling the whole pump, I hate pulling pullies. Three bolts are accessible with a socket from underneath. The fourth won't come out because of the pressure hose underneath but leave that one for last and the pump will come out as you loosen the bolt.

The cams should really be degreed even if they are stock and it's a lot easier out of the car. Just a thought.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I used to hate pulling that 4th bolt until I figured out how to get it from the front! Before I would take the hose off, which is a real big pain if you leave the pulley on. Taking the pulley on/off thing isn't much fun either, they go on tight.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I used to hate pulling that 4th bolt until I figured out how to get it from the front! Before I would take the hose off, which is a real big pain if you leave the pulley on. Taking the pulley on/off thing isn't much fun either, they go on tight.
I work on a rack so pulling the hose is no big deal. Funny thing on tight, the three bolts go on easy and thread by hand the fourth though feels cross threaded the whole way but still tightens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts