Installing CAI and CMDP-Tune Before or After?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Senior Member Array

Default Installing CAI and CMDP-Tune Before or After?

Hello. This weekend I am installing a CAI and the charge delete plates. Simple question. Do I flash my car with my SCT prior to begining this work or do I do the modifications, start the car, then flash it? Thanks alot.

Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Premium Member Array FireFighterHill's Avatar

Default Re: Installing CAI and CMDP-Tune Before or After?

Install the parts, plug in the tuner, flash the PCM, start the car , drive.

Why does the car need a tune when you install the CMDP? Steeda has an economy delete and they also have one that is port matched. Would the more expensive port matched one be worth the extra cost? My car is just going to be a NA car and not a FI. I hope I didn't hijack this thread.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array

It changes your A/F ratio so you need a tune. Anyway, ok, I have never flashed a car before. I'm assuming you put the key in the "On" position and flash? Thanks for the quick response, hopefully I'll get this all done tomorrow and post up a report.

Mike

Plug the programmer in, follow its prompts. It will tell you what to do. It will tell you when to put the key in the on position.

Senior Member Array ClemsonS197's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 05BlueGT View Post
    Why does the car need a tune when you install the CMDP?

You need a tune for the CAI intake because it changes your A/F ratio, plus you get a lot more HP over the conservative factory settings. You need a tune with the CMDP because you need to turn of the motor that controls them.

Ford had delete plates for the around $80. Steeda strong armed them, and Ford caved, so Steeda's economy plates are what Ford used to sell. I wish Ford drowned them in litigation, but didn't. Don't spend the money on their $$$$ set, it's a waste of money.

RPMOutlet.com still advertises the FRPP plates, I would much rather buy an FRPP part than a Steeda part.

They are asking $129 for them though not $80.

Be warned, RPMOUTLET is the biggest bunch of retards crooks and thief's. They have screwed over many many many Modular fords members as well as others. You get what you pay for and with them you get even less then you payed for.

Premium Member Array Eric Brooks's Avatar

You need to have the CMCV controls turned off in the tune. The factory setup adds timing when they are opened.

Senior Member Array

I ordered my SCT X-Cal 3 from JMS Chips. They did the tune for me. They told me to KEEP the motor plugged in, and that they do not turn it off in the tune, and that it is necessary to work right.....Any thoughts on this? I spoke to 2 different people at the company, Monty is the guy who did the SCT programming for mine.

Mike

Why anyone would want to install delete plates in an N/A car is beyond me.

The factory plates open at about 3200rpm, below that they are closed.

With the plates in the closed position intake air is being drawn in at a high velocity and due to the plate design the air is swirled into the combustion chamber making for a better air/fuel mix. Torque and performance is increased.

When the plates are opened, above the setpoint of 3200rpm, more air is allowed to enter the combustion chamber, but a lower velocity. As Eric has mentioned a new tune would be required. In fact you would want to datalog the pull monitoring several input points to include STFT's, timing and where the engine goes from closed loop to open loop on the rpm scale. Datalogging your dyno pull is a valuable tool for your tuner.

I can understand why you would install delete plates with a twin screw blower because the boost is instantanious.

Other blowers and turbos dont build any real boost until the engine is well into the rpm range (above 3200rpm) this can be verified by looking at pulls that have these type of systems on them. In this case I dont think that installing delete plates is very beneficial because the plates will already be open.

Your money would be better spent on reducing the weight of the car by installing an aluminum drive sahft, BMR front sway delete kit and BMR "K" member. These are all very noticable mods. Put on some good drag radials and youve got yourself a 12 sec car.

Just my $0.02.

Im N/A and after putting the delete plates in I noticed a power increase in the upper rpm's The car deffinetly pulls stronger now. I also have UDP's and a electric water pump so getting my RPM's up fast isnt hard A good tune is the key.

Quote Originally Posted by FireFighterHill View Post
    Be warned, RPMOUTLET is the biggest bunch of retards crooks and thief's. They have screwed over many many many Modular fords members as well as others. You get what you pay for and with them you get even less then you payed for.

Good to know, as I haven't bought anything from them yet.. Guess I will just stick with good ole Brenspeed.

Senior Member Array

Ok, well here is what I can tell everyone. I just installed my JLT, DELETE PLATES, and SCT Xcal3 tuned by JMS. All I can say is I believe santa brought me a new car. Loss of low end??? HELLL NO. The car runs bad ass now. Part throttle performance is night and day increased over the stock setup, low end is increased over my stock setup, top end, mid range, it all increased. Now this car is fun to drive. And as far as the charge plates go, yah I understand the open at 3200rpm, but they still are an OBSTRUCTION. When they are open the air is split going around the blades, the blades take up space...on a N/A car gains might be minimal, but gains are there. On a supercharged car whether it be Centri or roots I'd have to bet gains would be alot higher. Either way, regardless of the debate, with the parts I just installed today my car is much faster and throttle response is much better, and the studder that is common upon shifting is all but gone, instead the car charges forward upon shifting. Take care.

Mike

18. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last