Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was asked a question about issues using a 99 instrument cluster in a 2001 car, so I did a quick analysis of the differences between 1999-2000 and 2001-2004 clusters.

I posted the results of the analysis at the bottom of this page: Ford Cluster Information

With a cluster pinout comparison here: 99-04 Cluster Pinouts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I have a 99 cobra cluster in my car. I did nothing other then take mileage prom out of the cluster. Worked perfect.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I swapped a 99 Cobra cluster into my 2002 GT and at first I had issues with the rear defrost slways staying on. Eventually, it burnt the fuse (after 5 - 10 minutes). I ended up swapping the circuit board (large one and odometer) from my 2002 cluster to the 99 Cobra cluster and it's been working fime for a few years now.

Riley

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Including the rear window defroster? Doesn't make sense...
What I should of said I changed the mileage prom and the main circuit board.

So, if you want to use a '99 Cobra cluster in a car with the defrost button by the shifter ('00+ I think) you can either:

1) Swap the odometer board AND main circuit board from your original cluster to the Cobra one (ideal)

or

2) Pull the wires at position 9 and 10 (yellow/black and black/yellow) out of the left harness and this will disable the rear defrost.

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's right, except the 00 cluster is the same as the 99 cluster. 2001 and newer clusters have the defroster timer built into them.

Or you could try hacking up an 00 or older rear window defroster button to allow the newer button to control it, and having the button electronics provide the timer function that is in the newer clusters and the external relay also in the newer cars. It should work, no problem, but it hasn't been done yet as far as I know.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I'm really not sure what you're getting at. If you search this forum you'll find a couple of posts with this swap info. Everything works fine on my car, including the rear window defroster.

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I was helping a guy who swapped clusters, found he was popping fuses and wanted to know why and how to make it work properly. I did not find any posts on the electrical differences between 99-00 cluster electronics and how to make them work, other than swapping electronics modules. Since I figured out the differences, I figured I'd write them down and share in case someone later wanted to understand the differences when they do the swap, especially if they do not want to swap cluster electronics, and they do want it all functional.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I swapped a 99 Cobra cluster into my 2002 GT and at first I had issues with the rear defrost slways staying on. Eventually, it burnt the fuse (after 5 - 10 minutes). I ended up swapping the circuit board (large one and odometer) from my 2002 cluster to the 99 Cobra cluster and it's been working fime for a few years now.

Riley
i’m having the same issue do you where i can get a circuit board for one

·
Registered
757 Posts
i’m having the same issue do you where i can get a circuit board for one
I just used the PCB and Odometer module from the stock cluster.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts