Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 99 Rio Red Cobra with 26k on it and lets just say everything is new including tranny and rear end and has 4:10's and all Maximum Motorsport Suspension options for my car and CAI, and exhaust. I currently have 308rwhp and 310rwtq with out headers, or tuned chip. I could trade in my car since it is in mint condition and get an 03 or I can get an engne from VT engines and get there nice 302 Stroker Bullitt and put a nice S-Trim on it and run 15lbs of boost through it and get a nice number like 520rwhp. What would you guys recommend due to I have so much into my car now. I even have coil overs and Brembo Brakes and stupid little things done to it. I understand that the 03 Cobras are done and make crazy power so much that even with the Vortech the Stock 03 Eaton Blowers make Power way sooner. I have no idea what I want to do maybe you can chime in ASAP due to tomorrow is decision day at 9 am. I even still have warranty on my car that is the funny part.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I vote 03 Cobra. I traded in my 02 z28 that I had put over 10,000 into. I could have easily put a sick block in it for the money I lost when I went to the Cobra. But I have had not one moment of regret. I love my 03.:blob :blob

BTW you can get a brand new 03 Cobra at Brandon Ford in Florida for $30,000.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I'd say stick with the 99, it sounds like you've got one sick build-up going.

Drop in the built 302 from VT and throw on a ATI D1 or F1-SC and never look back.

EDIT: instead of a SC have you thought about a Turbo? A T76 would blow away anything and everything :evil

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have an 03 Cobra and love the car. You can't go wrong with that decision...........however...

You already have the makings of an awesome car....more so than what the 03 is

Depending on your finanical situation.....I would personally send it to Jake Lamotta and have him do the twin turbo set-up.

Ben Dorn

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I would keep the 99, I already had the suspension mods and braking covered, but the the motor crapped out so I ended up swapping in a 03 motor and 6-speed. I kept the stock hood and bumper so from the outside looks like a stock 99 cobra. So my final verdict is stay with the cobra. U can even do a 302 or stroker with a kennebell from a 03 cobra and put in your car. Thats some food for thaught:D Ed

·
Registered
145 Posts
It all depends on how much work you want to do and how long you can be without your car. If you decide to keep the 99 and go with a forged stroker w/blower pushing big psi you will definately have a one of a kind car that is crazy fast. The only problem is that you will be without your car for weeks and it may be a PIA to work out the tuning bugs. It may also end up being more expensive. If you can live with that, I would keep the 99.

If not, the 03 Cobra can be had right now and will make big power for very little extra investment, reliably. I would think you could take most of the suspension/brake stuff off the 99 and put it on the 03 but that may not be true. I am lazy so I would go with the 03 for quick, easy power with a warranty (and you get the 6 speed with 3.55 gears).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts