Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2002 gt with a vortech, i finished the install last week and the car started with no tune or any chip, it runs fine but i can hearndetonation in 5th at just part throttle. is my car fine to drive with no tune as long as i baby it? im trying to get a autologic tune from apex because shawn at socal diablo cant be civil with me...opinions.....

also what kind of horsepower numbers should i be looking at and what 1/4 mile time should i aim for?

·
Registered
131 Posts
tune it

if you can actually hear the knocking then it's way to much. and needs tuned. especially if it's only under part throttle.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what if i baby it and dont get detonation? i dont floor it at all because i know the ecu dosnt pull timing without the chip.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its a stock block but detonation is only heard in 5th when the accelarator is pushed. does this mean im detonating all the time? when i baby it i hear nothing at all.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
stock blocks dont last long under boost... so be careful... det. is always a bad bad bad thing... tune it get it on the dyno... and make sure everything is cool before you drive it any more...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i need to drive 1.5 hours to get a dyno tune.is this safe at a consistant speed with no detonation being heard?

·
Registered
492 Posts
You say the stock shortblocks dont last long under boost, right? It should if your not pushing TOO much, and driving it with detonation. Atleast thats what the people who have had theirs on for quite some time are saying. I hope thats true cause I want to push about 400 to the wheels with a KB. Even willing to detune it to keep it there so my stock drivetrain lasts for atleast 3 more years.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im hoping for 400rwhp but may never see it if i cant make it to apex.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
there are always exceptions to the rule, but they are few and far between. I have seen a few guys run 400+ rwhp on stock internals, however their days are numbered. I know how ruff it can be only haveing one car to drive. Just be sure your not det. take your time, and let the pros handle it for you. If you can get it towed I would suggest doing that.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I've had an Edlebrock nitrous kit, a procharger and now a vortech on my car beginning at 900 miles and the car now has 9k miles. The first blower was put on at about 1500 miles so I've had a steady amount of hp on this car almost since new. I don't drive like a moron but I don't hesitate to stab the throttle either. As stated above, don't risk your motor by driving it with detonation. Tow the car to the shop. When I pulled the ati to install the vortech I even had my car towed to the tuner for a new tune just to be on the safe side. At these power levels you can pop a motor anytime and it would be a real bummer to have a new blower with a rod sticking out the side of the block. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Eric Brooks said:
Come on guys, answer the question!

Yes, you car is fine to drive, just don't get on it. KEEP IT OUT OF BOOST and you will be safe.

It's detonating in 5th, because it puts more load on the engine.
well you said it... just not in as many words as I tried... *shrug* oh well :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Eric is correct.

NO BOOST and you'll be OK.

Pretend there is an egg under your gas pedal and drive like you don't want to break it.

No 5th gear to play it safe.

I have 3.73s and in "D" (the same as your 4th), I can cruise fairly comfortably at 55-60mph.

I drove my car for about a week without a tune. I left in the stock injectors and maf for better driveability and swapped them ay my dyno-tune.

Good luck,
Howard

·
Registered
492 Posts
You bastard, I was just going to suggest the same thing. Thanks for stealing my thunder :p J/K, as long as the factory belt doesnt interfere with the blower, it should work.

·
Registered
802 Posts
stanggt00 said:
Not sure how it will work, but can you put the factory belt back on without the blower getting in the way? Then you wouldnt have to take anything off, just put the new belt back on.
ATI and Vortech both are designed for you to be able to run your factory belt in case of blower failure. Paxton probably is too.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well that belt is in there good, can i run my stock intake with the pro m and remove the discharge tube and powerpipe, so the belt would still spin the blower but the blower will boost to nothing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts