My 2v to 4v Project

+ Reply to Thread

Default My 2v to 4v Project

Alright, first,

I got a buddy offering me his 4v long block to include up to the lower manifold. I will help him pull it and it's got 79,000 miles on it. He offered it to me for 1200 bucks. It's a 01 coming with Heads, Cams, Timing assembly, lower manifold, oil pan, and lots of other parts. He's got a built teskid he's putting in with worked 03 heads on CC 106300's or whatever n/a cams they are.

I started my research and what do you guys think on the price. I've found valve covers for 65 bucks, front cover for 50 bucks, and stock COPS for 75 bucks. I would need ECU and brackets for my Blower to bolt up. Will my alternator work? Will my harness work because I just replaced it. i was dead set on building my 2v but I think this would work pretty good.

Last dyno numbers at 10 psi i put down 405rwhp and 431rwtq, with 10 psi on the 4v with a ported lower and upper what should i expect? My ultimate goal is a T-Trim or a Turbo setup with 650 rwhp after i build the bottom end of either of them.

This would be all my mod money until winter, so it wouldn't be a built block, I would be putting other plans on hold for a higher milage motor. Would you all do it?

Just second guessing my decision, but right now I stand to get it for 1050 with the deal we are working, is that a good price, I was going to pay 600 just for a Teskid short block the other day.

Also, if my memory serves me a 96-98 intake manifold won't match up to a 99 up will it?

sorry for all the questions, and yes, I've been searching and searching but there's so many freaking questions concerning this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array

Default Re: My 2v to 4v Project

4v when to a Tumble Port head in 99
    To-98 4v was a B head

Piecing one together will be harder. You will want to try and use the same year 4v engine as your 2v car is. Use the 2v wiring harness and ECU, and flash the computer with a 4v custom tune. If you use the 4v harness, you're in for bigtime work... PATS, dash harness, etc. You might want to swap to a return fuel system too. It would make your life easier I think.

The 96-98 intake will not work on the 99+ motors, unless you put 96-98 heads and IMRC plates on it.

Timing covers vary from year to year, but you will probably want to use the timing cover for a 4v for your year car. Otherwise you could get into trouble I think, with accessories.

96-98 cars use Waste Spark ignition (2 coils, one per side). 99+ cars use 8 coils. For this reason, the valve covers are differnet for 96-98 and 99+ cars.

If you get a complete motor, this will solve you trying to figure out which valvetrain parts are correct for what you're doing. On my 97 swap, several wires in the engine harness had to be lengthened because of the location of the sensors on the 4v were different than 2v. Some Cobra electric things were not used in my car, since I used the GT harness. I believe they were IMRC controls, Variable fuel pump voltage, and knock sensors. Those things may be different in 99-up cars. A GT alternator will not work on a Cobra motor, so get the Cobra alternator and as many brackets and such as possible. Motor mounts are the same. Exhaust is different. You'll need the 4v blower bracket.

The swap is not all that bad, but it's going to require some thinking. And probably a Ford electrical manual. The 2v radiator and AC compressor worked in my car, as well as reusing my stock T-45 tranny. Bolted right up. 4V exhaust is a bitch, so consider buying a tubular K-member.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Well the engine is an 01 and my cars and 02 so as close as I can get on that one.

My 2v harness is new and I would pay for a tune. The brackets have been priced etcc. I'm second guessing it now because for the price it work out for I could proabbly have about 580-600 hp from my 2v.

I could get a built bottom end, blower cams, and P51 and various other stuff for about the price to get the 4v in between the wheelwells when I'm researching it, all I really want from this car is about 6-650 rwhp, I'm almost certain i can do that on a 2v with a T-trim. I'm still not decided on this but I'm getting a little less motivated when I have two other projects sitting at home in the states waiting for my return, this car will be my fun car, not my designated track car, but it will see action on both types of tracks

Thanks for the input so far guys, and for the tranny comment I've got a viper spec so that's not an issue either way, and I'm already running 4:30s

Given what a pain it is to work on a 4v, I would give a 2v some major consideration. A friend of mine has a built 2v with all the goods and a T-trim, and nitrous. As I recall, he hit maybe 580 on the motor and 700 on the spray.

A t-trim 4V could probably beat that, but for the money involved? A 2v with a turbo would probably be better off. And there's some new intake choices out there for the 2v as well. A 4v swap is fun though. They don't see it coming...

Building a 4V isn't that bad or expensive if u do it right. I got out of my 2V stuff and into a cammed 4V for just a little bit more than I sold all my 2V **** for. Do it. Go 4V and never look back.

9. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread