Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Franco and I were at Atco the other night. It was packed like I've NEVER seen it before.

We got two passes by 6:30 PM and didn't get our last pass till 10:30 PM!!

Anyway, during that 4 hour cool-down time in the lanes, I found something out.

His satin black Kenne Bell was too hot to touch for about 3 hours.

It just NEVER cooled down...well, it cooled a little but it could not be touched for the first 3 hours.

And because the lanes were not moving, many guys got fed up and left the lanes. So there was a 10-car gap between Franco and the next car...after everyone left.

I told him to move the car up. So he started it and putted to the front of the line and killed it again.

And the blower, from that 15 seconds of water cirrculation, cooled down about 50 degrees. The minute he moved it and shut it down, I felt the blower again. It went from too hot to touch to merely warm.

AMAZING!!

The heat exchanger fans come with a relay that lets them blow and circulate water while on accessory.

It will make a HUGE difference for cool down, IMO.

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
So that tells me..We need to circulate the fluid in the intercooler with the motor off...
+ Fans will help also..

·
Registered
24 Posts
for those who don't know...

to turn (engine cooling) fan on at high speed, ground PCM pin #46 (Green w/Purple stripe)

to turn intercooler pump on, ground PCM pin #82 (White w/Orange stripe)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Can you run a wire from pin 82 with a toggle switch in between it so when you want it on its all you have to do is switch it on for the ground conn. What happens if your in manual mode and the the computer grounds it do you think anything can happen to the computer. Does the factory use ground to make it go on and off to, or I can just hook it up manual like my fan kit.

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
I wonder if it would aid in the longevity of anything is a simple timer was installed that would run the fans/heat exchanger pump for a coule minutes after the car was shut off?

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
Corner-Carver said:
Hehehe, the L guys have been simply running IC fans and the small circulation pump to solve this problem.:king
Wouldnt it be easier to just use the existing pump?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Shadowgray03 said:
Wouldnt it be easier to just use the existing pump?
That's what they do, simply wire the pump to come on and then use two small Spal fans on the IC heat exchanger. You are constantly flowing fluid thru it while the fans pull the heat from it.;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
GRNENVY said:
Can you run a wire from pin 82 with a toggle switch in between it so when you want it on its all you have to do is switch it on for the ground conn. What happens if your in manual mode and the the computer grounds it do you think anything can happen to the computer. Does the factory use ground to make it go on and off to, or I can just hook it up manual like my fan kit.
yes, a toggle switch is the way to go and to provide some extra safety, use a 10 amp fuse inline with it

the PCM will still be able to turn them on (by grounding)....if you've already manually switched them on, it will do no harm if the PCM does so also....

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
The Ls also have been upgrading their pumps as well. Most only do it with larger heat exchangers, so the detention time in exchanger is similar.

Plenty of ideas can be found for Eaton'd mod motors on www.f150online.com in their L section, and www.nloc.net

Lots of great info on KB blowers, and Works blowers.

The L guys have been at it since 99. But it still took an 03 Cobra owner too come up with the belt wrap idler that migrated to the Ls.

·
400 Posts
You guys are right the fans make a amazing difference. I put them on our 99 lightning and put a temp probe inline. They really dropped them temp quick. In the lanes and after the burnout the blower really gets heat soaked. With the fans it's like your doing 80 mph. I wanted to get them on our car before texas but everybody snatches them up before I get them on the car. :mad:
We did alot of datalogging of the delta T between the ACT1 and the ACT2. The fans make a huge difference till the car gets moving good. Remember no matter how big the exchanger is, it's no good till air is moving across it.

Rick

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AmazonRacing said:
Remember no matter how big the exchanger is, it's no good till air is moving across it.

Rick
Well said, Rick. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I still haven't installed my fan kit from amazon...kinda toying with some ideas on how to wire them...a friend of mine that has a '01 L wants to wire it to my A/C and use the A/C dial on the dash to turn them on and off....not sure if that will work or not...any ideas?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
trey193 said:
What were your 1/8 mph's, [email protected] is impressive for sure! Any idlers?
they range between 92-95 mph...I have the billetflow idler pulley on..no belt slip at all:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
here is the timeslip breakdown....broke7 driving

reaction-----.683
60 ft----------1.87
330 ft--------4.96
ET @ 594 ft-7.097
1/8 ET-------7.566
1/8 MPH-----95.92
1/4 ET-------11.663
1/4 MPH-----120.02

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
Alaskan Assasin said:
I still haven't installed my fan kit from amazon...kinda toying with some ideas on how to wire them...a friend of mine that has a '01 L wants to wire it to my A/C and use the A/C dial on the dash to turn them on and off....not sure if that will work or not...any ideas?
Is the AC knob still going to be used to run the A/C? You can easily connect to the A/C relay wire so that when the A/C clutch engages it turns the fans on, thats how I have one of my radiator fans connected on my F150. However if your goal is to gool the intercooler fluid but having fans run while car idles, I dont think adding the extra load of running the A/C while trying to cool the blower coolant is such a good idea. Ideally I would think you would want to be able to run the stock blower intercooler pump AND have the heat exchanger fans come on with the flick of a switch for cooling between runs at the drag strip. That way you are moving the blower coolant through the heat exchanger AND forcing air through it without the engine running. If your just looking for generally cooling you could have the heat exchanger fans come on when the car runs by energixing the relay from an ignition + wire.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I never thought of that....as I said I am still entertaining ideas to which way is the best and most effitient.....the air up here in Alaska is already really good...maybe the fans will benefit more than I anticipate...I hope...

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Is the mph dependent on hook, like in 2nd gear. I ran 93.7 the other night in the 1/8 but my car was spinning wildly in 2nd so much that I had to pedal it, this I feel lost momentum and therefore mph, I feel my car has 95 or so in it with good conditions and being able to hook 2nd gear up! Trey

1 - 20 of 20 Posts