8K views 51 replies 14 participants last post by  NX330MustangGT 
#1 ·
Can we get more info here?

#4 ·
Modster said:
Can we get more info here?
Only thing you need to know is the current cost:

~ $3500.00

If you have deep pockets, they may be just the ticket.
If not, you may want to wait 'til the price comes down a bit...

#5 ·
I have some questions about the kit that do not really center on the performance issue.

What motivated the production of these kits? I mean was there really a serious problem with the stock units that someone thought about designing a product that would retail for $3500 that was supposedly designed only for reliability. I understand there was some performance gain in the MM&FF issue test, but according to the article they were not looking for a power increase.

How many of these kits will they really sell at that price and is this really a product that the market needed?

Don’t get me wrong I applaud the design and the gains from it and if it was not $3500 I would probably already ordered one, but as I am trying to get my engine project assembled and we all talk about needed real valve train, intake, and fuel options I just wonder were the idea came from.

#11 ·
Well, after reading the article in the magazine, here is what I think is the issue. It truly sounds like the lifters are collapsing under the follower due to oil pressure loss or aeration, or the valve springs are so stiff, that the lifter collapses under the follower instead of the valve.

This solid lifter setup should cure the problem.

$3500 for a set of followers is rediculous. The 2V kit should not cost more than $750.......Period.

The power gains are impressive but the article did not give gains on a stock cam. With a high lift/duration cam, these might make a huge difference..........but for $3500, I will buy a Vortech!!!!!

#12 · (Edited)
That ($750) would be the top end price point for me to consider a purchase. If it can't be done, it can't be done but I believe the market for them at that price is extremely small.

$.02

#13 ·
If the product works as advertised then I am very interested, but at a $3500 price point I just cant see that many people jumping in.(including me) I understand it cost money to design and market something, but the 32 valve kit needs to be priced considerably less to be successful IMHO.

#15 ·
I've gone plenty fast, thanks.

The hp increase from them is negligible so your "theory" is ridiculous.

Robert said he would post info later, I guess it could be called "solid"....wasn't very hard to read.

Can't speak for others, but I am not afraid to spend a buck - I have more than enough cash tied up in my car. But there's a difference between spending money and wasting money. $3500 for rockers? That T/FD territory.....

If you're just looking to up your post count that's cool, but otherwise what was the point? Start a fight? We want information and are discussing the topic....either add something constructive or don't read it. Why start flaming others?

#16 ·
Modster said:
I was hoping to get some soild info. Seems all I am getting is alot of crying about why some people will never go fast. If your afraid to spend a buck get out the game. And go get yourself some tissue's!!
Modster, you sound like an LS1 owner. Go elsewhere smarta$$.

#20 ·
Ok finnally have a free minute.......

My car is a 99 cobra with a paxton on it. It has gone 10.29 in the 1/4 mile. The reason we have made these rockers is because of persistant valvetrain problems. The first motor i had blew with the additon of the paxton. No surprise. The second motor i had made i did everything including putting in upgraded springs. On the engine dyno the evidence of valve float so we didnt run past 7200 rpms. At the end of the year before a run i Knocked of a vaccum line running the motor on base fuel pressure. The made the motor run very lean and i blew a hole in a piston. When we took the motor apart i had 6 broken springs. Luckly i have no idea when they broke because the were double springs. Springs typically break from float. We knew that a better spring was going to be needed. We looked around at that time fall of 01' the best place to go was to mod max. They were having problems with their springs. We looked around and there was not may alternatives. We finally came in contact with fords racing scca group. The were dealing with a company in California that had used a cart car spring in there cars. The spring had a much high spring wieght wich in turn wouldn't be able to be used with the hydrolic lifters. The same company that sold the springs to us also took the hydrolic lifter and changed them to a solid piece by putting a screw in them. This work but made it hard to adjust the lash in the rocker. This worrked for several months when at the track one sunday testing the car started to have a miss. We all thought it would have been a coil pack(they always go bad). We ended up taking off a valve cover and found it was a broken valve. Here something in the lifter was too soft and it was crushed like a peeny on a train track making the rocker loose. The rocker twisted and broke the valve luckly pinching it in the valve guide. when we called the place making the lifter they were aware of a problem but didnt have the fix.

So here's where the last year went....... We dicided that what was currently on the market wasn't working all the time. Lots of people at many different shop have had luck with other products. I was not comfortable with using things that do break from time to time(ie other springs) So i wanted to stay with the springs i had. Therefore we needed a new lifter. The year before we had talked about making a set from scratch. So this time we were going to do it. The final rocker is just about finished know we have gone through about four designs. We were not looking for power from these at all. The new rocker is lighter than the stock ones and are a direct drop in. the ratio is a slight bit different. I believe the reaason why we picked up power was because the hydrolic lifter will compress when in a motor running due to lack of pressure. With a solid lifter it will remain exactly where it is set at. So basically things in the valvetrain will act as they should. The motor was ran on a engine dyno the exact same way with and without the new rockres.

I have missed almost a full year of racing to have the rockers made. My motor has been on and off a engine dyno about 6-7 times know. You think the cost of the rockers is to high, i will not even go into how much is is costing me and i am getting no profit from future sales of them. The rockers i can assure you are made of the highest quality and will not be sold till proven to be ready in my own car. These where not just a design and sell peice. The springs being used are another issue as well.

The springs do not come with the rocker but can be obtained from Second street speed as well. The springs as i have stated before are a directly out of a current IRL race car. To install the springs it would require to have spring seat enlarged and some machine work on the top of the valve stem.

Well that is the history of my heads and the new rockers that will be ready for sale shortly. What other questions do all of you have????????

#21 ·
What are your thoughts now that Comp Cam and a few other reputable companies are making springs? Do you see the same issues coming into play?

It sounds like most of the issues are due to high rpm usage. I'm not sure the 2v would suffer the same fate since it has a lower power band.

I can only imagine the production costs...no one is saying that they are not high. Just how you get your ROI might be better if you try a lower price with more volume. At that rate the only people who will purchase them are those who are either currently experiencing a problem; those with sponsors; or those who race professionally IMO.

I don't believe that is where the core of the market it....the average owner who wants to modify their car (NOT the average owner) and has significant disposable income cannot justify that, no matter how much they spend on their car. Again, just an opinion. I have 175% of the purchase price already sunk into my car in modifications...with another 75% still to go into the drivetrain. At that price, it is equal or surpasses stroker kits and I don't think you'll hit the target market.

Again, if that is the price, it's the price. I would just attempt to figure out a way to decrease the cost....but what do I know....

Or we could just wait for a set to be shipped to South Florida :D

#23 ·
I figured it would lighten the mood a bit so hopefully we could stay OT about the rockers....I find the discussion very interesting actually...especially about what drove him to the creation.

#24 ·
There was a lot of R&D into making these. They will not be able to be copied easily. But if you want have at it. When they break you will know they were no originals. There is a lot of tooling cost to set up and so forth. If you cant afford or dont think there worth it then so be it. They had 10+ sets of 32v rockers ordered all but 1 set is already spoken for. They are planning an other batch. There is obviously enough people to buy them, so they will keep making them.

Robert Hnat

PS. PAtient paper work on the way to shop already!!!!!

#25 · (Edited)
pete,
i definately like his product and my machinist also likes his product. we just both wish they weren't so expensive.
it does look like a nice setup, though. your right, probably the only way to get the production cost down (which would lower the retail price) would be through a large production volume.

#26 ·
RHracing said:
There was a lot of R&D into making these. They will not be able to be copied easily. But if you want have at it. When they break you will know they were no originals. There is a lot of tooling cost to set up and so forth. If you cant afford or dont think there worth it then so be it. They had 10+ sets of 32v rockers ordered all but 1 set is already spoken for. They are planning an other batch. There is obviously enough people to buy them, so they will keep making them.

Robert Hnat

PS. PAtient paper work on the way to shop already!!!!!
robert,
i think you misunderstood me. i do not like when someone copies someone elses hard work and then turns around and whores a cheap immitation of the original product out. i was simply stating that i hoped the retail cost would come down through production volume. i imagine when danny jessel made his first shaft mount rockers, that the production cost were very high. but since the volume has increased the production cost have come down, which in turn lowered the cost to the retail customer. i do like your product and wish you well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.