Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone run a Stacker 8, Plasma Booster, or KB Boost-a-Spark long enough to determine if it really makes a difference?

A key benefit is a cleaner burn. However in running one, you should be able to increase the plug gap a little more, without creating a spark blowout situation. Thus resulting in more ponies. I know a few people have tried them. Just wondering if they are still running them. And if so, notice any improvement.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I think I can comment on this being I just installed the Kenne Bell Boost-a-Spark on my car last night. For starters, the kit was well packed and included everything needed to do the job right. The install was also a breeze. You can install this thing at the track if you had to in just a few minutes. It does not have all the bells and whistles that a MSD DIS-4 has, but is much simpler and if you were to have a problem it would be easy to locate with this ignition. My car was having a problem getting over 7000 rpms; which was the point it sounded like it was hitting the rev limiter (spark blowout) I think the origin of the problem was not my MSD box itself but in one of the connecters in what I call a complex wiring system for something that does a simple operation. With the Boost-a-spark installed my car will easily rev to 8000 rpms with NO problems. It definatly works! no doubt about that. I actually bypassed the hob switch on it and checked the voltage at idle and seen upwards of 20volts with the box turn wide open.

On a side note, I ordered the box from PJ's Performance and dealing with Pete was TOP NOTCH. Pete even went as far as to messgage me several times to see if I had gotten my order and also helped me reassure myself on how to wire the thing up. This is my first dealing with Pete and his shop but they will definately be getting more of my business in the future.

Thanks Pete!!:king

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
I have the plasma booster on my ATI supercharged 02 F150, seems to work well, nice smooth idle and acceleration. I havent done any real testing on it however.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
boost-a-spark

I have the boost-a-spark on my car and it was only worth 5hp at the wheels. My car makes 500 hp at the wheels so I think that it isn't that beneficial for cars making less.

·
Registered
41 Posts
GRNENVY-
I'm approaching 500hp w/the Eaton. To me, 5hp gain would be significant and would be worthwhile to invest in the boost-a-spark. What plugs/gap running? I'm currently running TR6s @ .035" gap.

MJ

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
They key to an inginition upgrade isnt really the HP or TQ numbers that you see. The benefit is in better combustion, fuel economy etc. I remember reading back about a test the did with the plasma booster on a stock honda. The power/TQ gains were only about 1% which is not significant and if that all your looking for hardly worth the price. However, due to the increased efficiency of the ignition system the car actually reached max HP 1 second earlier with the plasma booster than with out. So, even if it didnt net much of a power gain, if it could help the car seek redline faster and knowck .5 off your 1/4 mile times, then it would be a cheap upgrade at $250.

·
Registered
661 Posts
They sorry for the delay , Just super busy. Glad to help. and glad it worked , I knew it would , NOW go lay down some ####rs
:) have fun Chad check the gap on the plug now and then. and color
96blkcobra said:
I think I can comment on this being I just installed the Kenne Bell Boost-a-Spark on my car last night. For starters, the kit was well packed and included everything needed to do the job right. The install was also a breeze. You can install this thing at the track if you had to in just a few minutes. It does not have all the bells and whistles that a MSD DIS-4 has, but is much simpler and if you were to have a problem it would be easy to locate with this ignition. My car was having a problem getting over 7000 rpms; which was the point it sounded like it was hitting the rev limiter (spark blowout) I think the origin of the problem was not my MSD box itself but in one of the connecters in what I call a complex wiring system for something that does a simple operation. With the Boost-a-spark installed my car will easily rev to 8000 rpms with NO problems. It definatly works! no doubt about that. I actually bypassed the hob switch on it and checked the voltage at idle and seen upwards of 20volts with the box turn wide open.

On a side note, I ordered the box from PJ's Performance and dealing with Pete was TOP NOTCH. Pete even went as far as to messgage me several times to see if I had gotten my order and also helped me reassure myself on how to wire the thing up. This is my first dealing with Pete and his shop but they will definately be getting more of my business in the future.

Thanks Pete!!:king
:cool:

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
spark

I guess 5hp is pretty good when you get to the point where every little bit helps. But like I said for those cars making 400 at the wheels it might be better spending your money some where else. Don't get me wrong I like the boost-a-spark I was just hopeing for a little more out of the system. It just tells you one thing ford did good job on these engines and there ignition systems.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
At this time I'am running denso plugs but I also like and run the NGKs to. Gap is 40 with the spark box

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input guys.

I just wanted a general thought, because I was planning on upgrading the ignition. I know it might not give big HP numbers, but that is not really what I am looking for. Just really want a cleaner burn, and if I possibly install the little "10 lb. soldier" in the trunk, I want to feel confident on the fire.

The coil on plug does do a fairly nice job with fire. However, I think there are other reasons why we don't see any issues with the stock ignition. I think it's more in how efficient the combustion is with these motors, vs Ford upgrading the ignition. The ignition on our cars are basically the same as any Ford coil-on-plug system. These motors are just very efficient, and it seems to show. Thanks again guys. Anyone else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts