Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A friend of a friend just got a new Mach I and has done many upgrades including supercharger...

To make a long story short, his motor was dyno'ed at the flywheel and rearwheel...

RearWheel HP: 434hp
FlyWheel HP: 510hp

I know that they have a different transmission, but... it seems that it is 15% drivetrain loss...

So, if stock Cobra's are dyno'ing at 360hp...
then that equates to 423.5 flywheel hp...

What does everyone think about this...???

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
TopRacer said:
Flywheel HP: 434hp
Rear Wheel: 510hp
I think you have your numbers backwards for one. I would expect our drivetrain loss to be approximately 15-17%.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Forgive me for not being sure what transmission the Mach comes with, but assuming your "I know that they have a different transmission" comments means they are automatic...I would say it would make a big difference.

One thing that may even the score a bit is the IRS. Wonder what rwhp is lost in that sucker.

From this I would assume the 15% is worst case for the Cobra.

When the '03 first started to roll out, some expressed an opinion that the '03 would be in the 12% range.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
I am sure that the 15% drivetrain loss is accurate for the 03's as well.

Jim Bell did extensive testing on the 03 motor in both engine and chassis dyno.

In the following technical article, he states:

"Divide RWHP by .85 to determine engine HP"

http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/ford-techinfo/cobraBoostPulleyRatio.pdf

That is the same calculation...only in reverse. Using his calculation on this car's RWHP, you come up with 511 at the crank.

Automatics will have more drivetrain loss but manual transmissions will all be about the same.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Topracer,

Do you know if your friend's flywheel dyno numbers included full accesories on the engine and an exhaust system?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts