Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it is pretty common knowledge that the water/air cooler is the unit of choice of hardcore racers, but how much better is it? I know the discharge temps have to be lower, but how much is it worth to a 600rwhp car? Is the air/air cooler a better option for a street strip car? I would like to hear some feedback with people running each of these with their experience to better give me an idea of what to do in the future. I am wandering where the air/water is actually prefered. What HP, boost level, headunit, etc is the turning point for such needed intercooling? I know it would be an advantage on ANY forced induction car but when is it a must. thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
air to air is less hassle, more reliable <---recommended for street cars, and occasional strip use

air to water produces more power, however it is less reliable due to all the factors (water pump, have ice in the cooler, etc.) :D

·
Registered
245 Posts
Air to air is street friendly,works better when moving,easier to set up. Air to water is harder to set up(pumps,coolant res.,lines etc)but can give a VERY large drop in air temps if you put ice in tank.
Call Lance Styck-his car has air to water.
Fogging CO2 or NOS over air to air works well.
Air to air can only drop temps to just above ambient air temps.
Air to water can drop temps below ambient.
Kincaid Performance has an elec intercooler for $1299.00-does it work????????
As little as you drive on street,boost,and hp level-go air to water!
Go to www.turbobuick.com and check out thier Alcohol,nitrous,and propane section of the forums. Lots of guys running 25psi in race trim w/pump gas(normally requiring 116+octane) and alky or propane inj.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Liquid vs. Air?

Air/Air intercoolers under ideal circumstances ( Bar and Plate core with good end cap design at highway speed air intervention ) are 85-95% efficient, and on most street car applications that is good.

A well designed air/liquid intercooler should be 100-110% efficient at ambiant water temp, add ice to the water tank and get the transfer pump flowing the perfect GPM and look for 125-130% efficeincy and that means more timing, less detonation and lots more power.

All this said, you can run a transmission cooler on a air/water intercooler with out ice for every day driving and get your water temps in the cooler to 100% efficiency for daily driving and always add ice at the track or under race conditions.

No Limit Racing is right, you will pick up a nice power increase with out adding timing, just beacuse the charge is cooler and the combustion chamber burns more efficiently.

The cooler the charge the more timing you can put to the engine with less chance of detonation, and more power with more timing.

Hope this helps,

Keith

·
Registered
37 Posts
Seems to me that the racers like the air to water cause they can load 'em up with ice when they go to the track. That's what I'm going to get.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Another thing to think about is your hp level, intercooler size and placement.

You can run a fairly small sized air/air that will handle 700hp and be easy to mount because it is small. When you go over that hp level, it takes a larger size and limits your mounting options...you don't want it hanging below the bumper or blocking airflow to your radiator.

So when you get into the big hp numbers, the intercooler (air/air) becomes quite large, so it's better to go with air/liquid. I think the air/liquid are the superior setup, but they are more expensive and are a more complex installation, plus there are parts that can fail.

The CryO2 intercooler sprayer from DEI is also a great product. They are working on a user-adjustable switch right now where you can set it to come on at X-psi so it will conserve your C02 or N02.

So it really depends on what your goals are.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Can you use a CO2 system on a air-water cooler. Mine is mounted in the front bumper. I think that it would probably work to add just a little extra drop in temp.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'm sure you could. Have it spray on the heat exchanger instead. I don't know how much benefit it will be, but it could be done.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The alcohol injection is something to look at. It's economical and very, very effective. I peronally own the smc kit and have a friend running it also. The guy is very helpful and the customer service is awesome. Install time of about an hour.

Check it out.. http://www.smcenterprises.com/

Just so you know, I don't work for this guy or get kick backs. I just know it works:)

·
Registered
245 Posts
alky

It works. Go to www.turbobuick.com and check out the alcohol and nitrous forum. Lots of those guys run it. I personally know a guy with a T that runs 20psi on pump gas with a high timing race chip that requires 110 oct race gas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts