Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 Cobra and recently put a T-trim Vortech on it. I have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, but do not know if it works with boost nor do I think it is even working correctly. I checked my fuel pressure on the fuel rail and it maxes out my 100 psi gauge. I have an intank 255lph fuel pump. Does anyone have any suggestions for a best bang for your buck regulator for boost?
I assume my 255lph pump is enough as long as I stay under 15psi boost?
Thanks in advance for your help

· Registered
1,054 Posts
The tune won't help for the fuel problem. In 96 the tune does not manage the fuel pressure. It's a mechanical return-style fuel system. But I hope you have a tune already !
I have no idea how you have 100psi at the rail, but this is *WAY* to much. It almost look like the regulator is stuck closed. You should have 39psi with the vacuum disconected from the regulator, and 29psi during idle with the vacuum connected. So base fuel pressure is 39psi, and increase 1psi for every pound of boost. Under 10psi of boost, you should have 49psi of fuel pressure.
I hope that's understandable....

· Premium Member
1,491 Posts
He's running pig rich right now, so his engine is probably safe from detonation. But if he dials in his fuel pressure to where it should be, if he doesn't have a tune, he could blow his engine before he knows it.

Some worries with running that rich are washing down down the cylinder walls and burning out his cats...

I recommend towing the car to someone who knows how to set up and tune engines.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Car does have a tune

The car has a tune, but I think the adj fuel pressure regulator might be messed up becasue the car has always run rich and has an idle surging problem. The reason for this thread was to get an idea of what people were using for a fuel pressure regulator w/ boost. I don't know how to diagnose the fuel pressure regulator so I figured I would just replace it.
Thanks for responses thus far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.