Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the old style Kooks header pictured here http://www.modularfords.com/f17/old-kooks-vs-new-kooks-181450/

Long story short there was a paper gasket (2 cylinders long) in the front 2 and a stocker in the rear 2 without leaks. Had to back all 4 off for another part install, retightened and it leaked which is fine as I didn't expect it to reseal. After reading the forums I installed a 4 cylinder long OEM gasket, it leaks. I've since purchased a Remflex gasket but wondering which of the following orientations I should use;

1. Hack it in half and install like the original paper/OEM was, IE 2 part.
2. Install as 1 piece, ie all 4 cylinders connected.
3. Install as 4 individual gaskets, ie 1 at each port.
4. Use one of the top methods in conjunction with the OEM (seen this method too). If so which of the 3 above?

FYI...I called Kooks who recommends using a "carbon type gasket" or OEM WITH high temp orange sealant. They noted the Remflex is a "good one" when mentioned.

Thanks in advance for any help you can lend.

· Registered
111 Posts
I'm using stock gaskets dry (without sealant) on my mac headers and stock studs without any sealing issues. Stock are reusable as well, thats the path I'd take

· Registered
111 Posts
Try taking a foam sanding block to the header and cylinder surface and lightly remove any stuck material, then use copper RTV with the oem gaskets. I fail at reading comprehension

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.