Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a car suffered from some detonation for one run (lets say just 1st to 2nd gear) would there be any short or long term affects on the engine if it was taken care off and did not suffer any more detonation for now on?

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
KevinJKD said:
If a car suffered from some detonation for one run (lets say just 1st to 2nd gear) would there be any short or long term affects on the engine if it was taken care off and did not suffer any more detonation for now on?
Check the Plugs.. If the Plugs look good that is a good sign..Bad detonation will melt plugs.Detonation could also show little aluminum spots on the Plugs..

·
Registered
447 Posts
Worse case, bad detonation can put little specs on the top of your piston. It can definitely ruin the electrode on your plug or even burn it off. Denso Iridiums are bad for cracking porcelein also. Best solution is to get a reburn on your chip. The culprit is usually too much timing and/or not enough octane.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response guys, I appreciate it. Next week I want to check the plugs and run it on the dyno again. My chip is fine. What happend was, when my heatexchanger was installed a little rubber cap was left on one side of the H.E. so the coolant was not flowing through the intercooler under the blower. The shop thought there was air in the system so they let the car idle for a while and then took it for a 3-5 minute test drive. They couldn't figure it out so I had to come back the next day. Needless to say I did NOT get into boost when I drove the car up there the next day but I could feel the power loss.

So I was just wondering if this would have hurt the car in anyway, I hope the shop didn't get on it with no intercooler because it might have detonated. The pistons should be fine right?

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Just to describe the worst case scenario for detonation, here is what happened to one of my engines. Not on my Cobra (luckily!)
Back in the seventies I used to race a turbo Kawasaki out on the Dry Lakes (el Mirage) in Southern Cal. At 11,000 in fourth (172mph), a fuel pressure regulator failed, shutting off the hi pressure boost referenced fuel feed. The bowl in the carb ran low and the engine detonated, BIG TIME. It split the head open, sending burning fuel and oil down the side of the bike. Also turned the 9.25/1 pistons into 7.4/1 pistons. The amazing thing was the engine still idled fine, all the way back to the pit area. And the rider wasn't hurt! By the way that was using H&H super blue race gas, about 125 octane and all the lead in the world.
33psi boost. Engine was dynoed at 330 hp. Not bad out of 998cc

1 - 5 of 5 Posts