Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To my knowledge I'm the second one that has had the following happen..

Let me set the stage for a scary story...

I run the AFS 17x10 standard finish 03 Cobra wheels with the BFG KD G-Force 315/35/17 tires in the rear with the BFG KD G-Force 275/40/17s in the front. I also run Mr. gasket 7/32" spacers, AFS extended reach lugnuts and the "UNDY" rear suspension bolt mod.. (I'll talk more about the mod later)

I was going home from work this afternoon and I noticed a vibration that I've never noticed before. My car from day one has been as smooth as silk so this was extremely unusual. I don't know why I though of it but a thread over on SVTPERFORMANCE.COM came to mind.. This guys wheels and spacers were similar to mine only his spacers were 1/4" vice 7/32". He had the same type vibration, but he couldn't find his.. He checked the drive shaft and other things, all except the wheels.. To make a long story short he lost a rear wheel totally and messed up some other stuff too. I pulled off on the interstate shoulder and proceeded to check my wheels.. Low and behold my left rear wheel had three busted lug studs with the two remaining lugnuts being slightly loose. I immediately called AAA and had it towed home on a roll-back. I got home and pulled the wheel, caliper and kinocked out all three broken stunds along with the two good ones. Where they sheared were at various heights on the studs indicating their snapping was caused by the nuts loosening up. I'd torqued them to 100lb ft myself the last time I had them off so I've no one else to blame. The dealer had new ones for $1.15 each and I replaced them all. The whole repair took less than a half hour, piece of cake. I checked all three other wheels and they were still at 100 ft lbs, none loose.

My advise to all is to routinely check the nuts' torque so something like this doesn't happen to you!!:shocked

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A little info about the "UNDY" suspension bolt mod..

Everyone's running around tryiing to find a button head bolt to provide clearance for the 315s when they're fully dropped down. Replacement bolt stength has constantly been in question.. There's absolutely no reason to replace the bolt! The hex head portion of the factory bolt has a very tall height (distance from the top of the bolt shoulder to the top of the heax head). All that's needed is to grind the head down on the bolt while it's in place enough where it clears the tire but not too much so you can't wrench on it (about 1/4"). I tried and I can still loosen and retorque it with no problem. This was accomplished with no structural weakening of the bolt. Biggest thing is that it's free n' fast!!:p

Attachments

G

·
glad it turned out OK for ya and it just goes to show how important it is to "be in tune" with your vehicle....

by being observant, you realized something wasn't right and probably avoided a disaster

·
Registered
661 Posts
Wheel spacers are no good. That is exactly why we dont use them. nitro

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
nitrous pete said:
Wheel spacers are no good. That is exactly why we dont use them. nitro
Word. No way in hell I'd put them things on my vehicles. Hub-centric ones, maybe, but I'd rather put the spacer money towards wheels with the correct offset.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called AFS Wheels today and talked extensively to Tim about this. He's contemplating making a wheel with the correct backspace to work with our 03s but nothing's in the mill yet. We discussed the optimum backspacing for the 03 Cobra being 7/32" to 1/4" less then the wheels he sells now. Everyone's correct about me not running a "hub-concentric" spacer. Nobody has the correct width spacer of that type "off the shelf". He refered me to me to www.wheeladapters.com . For those old farts out there like myself the company's owned by a 60s/70s famous drag racer named Fred Goeske. I called and talked to Fred and he's going to custom fabricate me a pair of billet aluminum 7/32" hub concentric spacers for 80 bucks. He said the Mr. Gasket ones like I'm running are a POS, not hub concentric and made of an inferior grade "crushable" pot metaled aluminum. As I've found out they're dangerous as hell! He has a long list of horror stories about people utilizing them. He just finished fabricated 80 sets of custom hub concentric pacers for Ford for some R&D work. By far he's the most knowledgeable person I've talked to thus far on this subject. I'll report back after I get them. Till then I'll do a little torque wrench duty evcery other day..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Undy why didn't you replace the stock studs with ARP instead. The ARP should be much stronger. Also Maximum Motorsports makes 1/4" spacers specifically for the Mustang which I think are hub centric for $50/pair.

At least you cought it in time. That could have been a real mess.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
toofast4u,

The Maximum Motorsport's 1/4" ones are not hub concentric. I've got plenty of thread contact with the factory studs. The issue isn't poor quality wheel studs, just the wrong type spacer. The standard off the shelf ARPs are 3" long and custom ones are real pricey.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
AFS lists theirs as 27mm. So with those 24mm ones from OEconcepts, you'd only pick up 3 mm, or .12 inches. Not quite enough. I think it would take at least a 20 or 21 mm offset. Right?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts