Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Moving on up...
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ALCON, (<--Military abbreviation for all concerned)

I was wondering if anyone has rigged their power steering system, cooling system, or any other system (other than fuel system because we all have that, LOL) with braided stainless lines? If you have, can you please explain what you have done, why you did it, and post up a few pics if you have them? The reason I'm asking is because I keep burning through my power steering lines (even though the header AND power steering lines are wrapped with header wrap :angry: :wallbash:) and I would like to put some non-plastic crap on it. I don't think coming up with the end fittings will be an issue...I'm just more interested in seeing/hearing from those that have done it. I will most likely switch to a braided stainless teflon lined type line with AN fittings on everything that holds fluid. Fix it right the first time LOL! So post up what you have. :rockon:

· Registered
1,644 Posts
I know guys that have gone to manual brakes usual use braided hose between the ps pump and the rack since the hydroboost is removed. I know MM sells the proper rack fitting to use AN fittings. Racer parts wholesale sells premade high pressure braided hoses made for manual brake lines but can be used for the power steering as well.

· Registered
1,644 Posts
I've used it on another platform, it rubs through everything it comes into contact with including rubbing paint off metal.
I think that's the general consensus on any stainless braided hose. That's probably why the stainless brake lines at the calipers are tightly sleeved in some sort of plastic.

· Registered
919 Posts
I used the website at the bottom of this post for help when I went with braided line for the power steering system on my 97. It's a site for factory five cars which apparently use our hydro boost setups quite often. The worst part is figuring out what size fittings you need and even with the schematic you'll see on the link it's still confusing. I got the rack fittings from maximum motorsports, and the low pressure return fitting from the booster to the ps reservoir from Hydratech, everything else you can get from Summit. If you have any questions let me know.

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/45-for...r-steering-hydroboost-schematics-updated.html

· Moving on up...
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yeah...that's a great picture that guy made. I posted it below for everyone because it's truly good info. Should help me out a lot. When I get back in country guys, look for me to do an entire swap to AN fittings and braided line. Thanks a lot Roush.

Light Product Font Engineering Machine

Anyone got any example of the cooling side of the house?

· Registered
919 Posts
You're welcome. I will be done with mine in a few weeks so I can post some pictures of the finished product.

· Registered
919 Posts
One other thing, there is an alternative to braided line. I used Aeroquips high pressure line which is wrapped in a soft blue braided material which I guarantee won't rub anything. You just have to be okay with the bright blue color of the braid.

· Registered
919 Posts
That diagram is a save for later, going in the folder with the vac. diagram that was posted earlier this year. :thanks:
Save the link also. There is some good information in it.

· Registered
149 Posts
That is what I had to do. Thanks.

Here are some pics I took today. I put the lines in so you can see how I ran them. Still alot of mock up going on here. I used an aftermarket reservoir mounted on the frame rail. Using a perma-cool power steering pump cooler. i had to use a 90* an fitting (female to male) adapter to be able to fit up to the pump. This is a 97 GT that is getting a teksid/terminator type motor in it. Any questions just ask.

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive tire Gas Machine

Motor vehicle Light Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

Electrical wiring Wood Shipping box Engineering Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Hood Rim

· Moving on up...
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Very cool man. This is almost precisely what I had visualized in my head. I will be doing this the moment I return from freaking russia.

· Registered
919 Posts
I finally got most of my lines finished and installed tonight. My lines are all Aeroquip with -6 Eaton fittings except for the low pressure from the master cylinder to the reservoir. There I used the brass fitting and hose from Hydratech. I don't have it mounted yet but but the reservoir is going to go the same place as xtcnagt's.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.