Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to find them online or wherever sites I know.. how come there aren't Aftermarket CNC Heads out there ?

and also what about cams ? All I found were the FordGT cams .. how many ponies do they add and are there any better ?

any good sites that has lots of GT500 engine parts ?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
no one has a head package out for the GT500/GT heads that I am aware of. You have to send your heads out to be ported. Our heads are going to Champion Racing here in S. FL for their port job and we have custom cams being made by Crane.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The stock GT500 castings are the same as the Ford GT Supercar head castings. Some of the best engineers in the industry got together and designed these heads for the Ford GT project. I believe Roush was involved. These heads are so well designed from Ford that I can't see any Aftermarket company coming in to make a better head. And that goes for all DOHC cylinder heads that Ford made. They really did their homework and provided factory parts on Modular motors to have HUGE potential. You could send them to Fox Lake, they have a CNC program for the GT 500/Ford GT heads, but unported from Ford, they can take you to 1000 HP and beyond with a power adder. As for the Ford GT Cams, they do make more power, but mostley in the higher RPM range where you will need aftermarket connecting rods to rev high enough to reap the rewards of these cams. How much power they add depend on your combo, but I would say around 30 - 40 HP at the flywheel on a GT 500 with a KB or big Whipple. Some good site's for GT 500 parts are Lethal Performance, Evolution Performance, D'agostino Racing,VMP Tuning, and MMR Racing just to name a few.

http://www.lethalperformance.com/07-09-shelby-gt500-c-2052?zenid=q0ej4sf0pn7dodfisncc17o8n3

http://www.evoperform.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=11

http://dagostinoracing.com/index.ph...78_124&zenid=9e7f88c463c3a01b6aea7b5ae8853c9e

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?p=catalog&parent=88&pg=1

http://www.modularmustangracing.com/

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow Thanks...

Lets say I wanted to buy the ford GT heads ( not to exchange the gt500 heads ) but because am planning to order a 5.4L shortblock.. who is the shop I could talk to about them ?

Springs, Retainers,seals, valves ,cam gears and all those itsy bitsy parts in the heads .. where can I get them from ?

I guess I will go with Ford GT cams better than going with stock gt500 cams.

which company sells a full pulley kit ? all prefferably in 8-ribs and really Light weight.

Oil pump.. stator..powersteering.. air compressor who is my man ?

am going with mezier E.water pump for the shortblock.

Thanks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I wouldn't buy the heads bare. I would buy them completely assembled, Ford racing sells them complete with the Ford GT High Lift Cams, http://dagostinoracing.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2678_124_17562_21424 ,I just hope you realize that to build a GT500 motor from scratch, it will cost around $15,000. This stuff adds up fast.
Cylinder Heads 3500
Front timing cover 800.00
Pulleys, idlers, p.s pump gt500 only a.c pump altenator
Balancer stock 280.00
Timing chains,gear,tensioners, 300.00
valve covers, 350-500 depending on what gears you use.
Wiring harness 550.00
oil pan 100.00
oil pump and pick up tube. 125.00
t.b, all engine sensors, fuel rails, injectors. 1075
Oil filter/cooler is 850.00
ECU engine control kit with 2nd Wiring Harness 1800
Plus you still have to buy the short block, and all of the engines gaskets and bolts.
These motors cost big money to build.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
True might cost me around that. But I think it's worth it when am getting the 5.4L engine in Aluminum and all that.

+ I am getting the leftovers from my friends GT500 things like

Stock S/C ( for time being )
Injectors
Stock Throttle body
JLT AIR FILTER
Stock harmonic balancer
metco 12-14 psi with auxilary idler
Stock fuel rail is there but am not gonna use it cuz am getting upgraded ones.

Wiring harness won't be a big deal too .. so yeah it may be expensive but for a gt500 moded power and with LESS weight I think its worth it.

I have a GT... if you didn't know so whats better ? selling gt and getting the gt500 or selling my motor and other aftermarket parts and getting the lighter engine and with more power = more FUN ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well, the GT 500 has a Cast Iron Block. If you want aluminum you need the Ford GT block now your talking $7000 + to build just the short block. If you can afford it than more power to you. I just wanted to clarify what it really costs to build one of these motors because people under estimate the final cost. If your running the stock blower, you don't need aftermarket fuel rails. The stock rails support 1000HP with a boost a pump. You really don't need the GT Aluminm block either unless the extra $3000 over a cast iron $500 GT 500 block is worth the weight savings.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I won't be using the stock supercharger as I will be converting into twin turbos in the future.. but ofcourse after paying for all the aluminum 5.4L block I will need to save more money for the twin turbo kit.. so just to make sure am ready for it ..

and I wont be able to run stock GT fuel pump with the gt500 s/c ofcourse thats why I will upgrade to whats the best on the market.

I know that alot underestimate the building cost of these motors.. Yet and finally when looking to overall outcome the thing will rip day and night and street or track... Leave traction aside we all know even a pulleid gt500 lacks traction.

+ this is just a list and ideas for the next year project.. so untill next year nothing will happen now but only buy the parts seperatley and once everything is ready I have it assembeled and ready.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well, good luck, your speaking jiberish and It's hard to understand. Hope you got 30 - 40K laying around to build an aluminum 5.4 Twin Turbo motor and drivetrain!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Ford GT heads will not fit our cars. Bill
Bill

The heads are the same, Even the gt valve cover will work and you can install the motor with the valve covers on engine. Only reason ford went to the small timing chains/vavle covers was to make installation of motor easier as the Ford Gt vavle covers will rub going in. I have Gt heads and valve covers on my motor.

Anyways to the guy doing this. I added up my alum build and it was around 18500 for the long block complete with cnc'd heads, customs cams, etc this was valve covers to oil pan, No intake. Look atleast at spending 40000 grand to do what you want to.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so your saying I should not go with the kit that ford made ? ''the Ford GT Head assembly ''

ModManiac: I'll do the best I can to build this thing and I will go with all suspension work on my GT first so that I can atleast be sure that when the build starts I won't have to go buy anymore stuff and just save for the motor/trans build.

Any Idea who has great engine internals ? I couldn't find in livernois, modmax racing and neither of anyone.. I found the complete block assembly @ JDM but still I wan't to compare prices.

Thanks and if my writing is hard to understand thats because english is my second language.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
The GT Supercar and Shelby head are identical. Some of the early production Shelby's had "Shelby" stamped in the head, but that changed and they are now all stamped "GT".

Here are some photos of a recent build.

Specs:

• Livernois Motorsports Built 5.4L Aluminum Longblock
  • GT Supercar Aluminum Block
  • ARP Pro-Series Studs
  • Carrillo H-Beam Rods
  • Custom Diamond Pistons Engineered by Livernois, Manufactured by Diamond
  • Livernois Motorsports CNC 4-Valve GT Supercar Cylinder Heads
  • Ford GT Supercar Camshafts
  • Canton Oil Pan

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you

Regards,

Rick LeBlanc
Livernois Motorsports

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dan/Rick,

I thought the FGT valve covers don't have a provision for oil filler cap because of the dry sump system? I'm not home right now, but I don't think mine do.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
You are correct, the FGT valve cover does not have an oil fill cap.

There were 2 head designs for the Ford GT Supercar. The 2nd revision, or latest head is indeed the same as the head used on the Shelby. The first, original head was different.

I have a palette of the 2nd revision castings here and just compared it to a set of Shelby heads to be sure and it is the same head.

-Rick

Dan/Rick,

I thought the FGT valve covers don't have a provision for oil filler cap because of the dry sump system? I'm not home right now, but I don't think mine do.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Thanks men, I was misinformed concerning the heads, I called Foxlake and spoke with Ron, he said the heads were of the same casting and I asked what he would offer for our heads to support 1500 HP. He recommends larger valves, different seats, bronze guides and changing out the springs, besides the porting and flowing the heads. So what does anyone know of this company, so far it looks like I'm sending my heads to them. Bill

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
We did ours with him, they are a beauty, they are already installed and running, haven't dynoed or tuned the car yet.

In that time there was no bigger valves (about a year ago) available but he did to them all the other stuff he said to you, he did a beautiful job with ours. We are running FGT cams in a 5.8L 3.70 bore. We are targetting 900+rwhp.

We are just waiting for Justin to send a signal that he is alive so we could tune the car.

I would go with him or livernois with my eyes closed.

I think I have some pictures of them done somewhere, I'll post if I can find.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thanks men, I was misinformed concerning the heads, I called Foxlake and spoke with Ron, he said the heads were of the same casting and I asked what he would offer for our heads to support 1500 HP. He recommends larger valves, different seats, bronze guides and changing out the springs, besides the porting and flowing the heads. So what does anyone know of this company, so far it looks like I'm sending my heads to them. Bill
Bill
Ron did my heads also. He has been doing my heads for 13 years now since i was 16. Great guy and knows his stuff.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That really sounds nice. I spoke to [email protected] and I am going for their block for sure now. I was thinking of geting the assembled heads for the FGT that Mod Maniac posted. But now since everyone is talking about fox lake do you think i will need them since my future plan is to go Twin turbo ?

I am planning on slowly building this project as in step by step, but the first thing I will get is the engine so I better plan for it from now.

so what do you all think ?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts