Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Jan,

I think the books and what they offer vs what a prospective buyer wants to believe they offer is problematic with some consumers. For example, you were critical of the book for,

These sorts of disappointments are not uncommon for readers who do not understand the basics of a particular device, in this instance the MAF meter. The calibration of a MAF meter is not done from scratch with pencil and paper or a spreadsheet. The calibration requires a MAF flow bench and instrumentation to measure the actual air flow and where necessary correct for ambient conditions. You can use Excel to flesh out the curve once you have the basic curve but you need to do the heavy lifting with the flow bench first to get that curve to flesh out.

You obviously went into the book purchase experience expecting to find a mathematical formula to build a MAF transfer function table. As you discovered through first hand experience it doesn't work that way. You were disappointed. The origin of your disappointment was your own lack of knowledge and experience with these devices. The problem was not with the publication.

Whenever a potential enthusiast approaches the learning experience like this it is probably better to forego the educational process and just buy the knowledge from a tuning shop as part of their tuning service. Continued attempts to turn the proverbial sausage grinder backwards waiting to create a steak from the ground meat never works out well.

Ed
Interesting comments even though I don't agree with any of them. As I mentioned earlier, the advanced tuning book that I harshly criticized failed to present any relevant or specific instruction or information on calibrating Ford engine management systems. In fact, the following document from Ford performance has plenty of good information that was absent from the "advanced tuning book."
Ford Performance EFI Tips

In regards to MAF sensor calibrations, As enthusiasts, many of us don't have access to a flow bench for MAF sensor flow testing and calibrating. However, depending on the engine management system and MAF sensor being used, us enthusiasts may have access to value files and known MAF transfer functions that will allow us to make MAF sensor transfer function adjustments and calculations if needed.

Finally, the following response besides being condescending, may not be a solid recommendation:

"Whenever a potential enthusiast approaches the learning experience like this it is probably better to forego the educational process and just buy the knowledge from a tuning shop as part of their tuning service. Continued attempts to turn the proverbial sausage grinder backwards waiting to create a steak from the ground meat never works out well."

When I say " not a solid recommendation" I suspect that you forget to take into consideration that some tuning shops are incompetent and unable to provide an acceptable level of service.

For example, many years ago, I purchased a life time Ford EEC V calibration service from a tuning shop in the Eastern USA that was named after the Amazon jungle in South America. The tuning shop in question was highly regarded and recommended on one SVT Cobra forum as being the best in the country. In reality, what I experienced was substandard calibrations that resulted in a vehicle that never ran properly and when I would request a tuning revision, emails and calls would go unanswered, Furthermore, if I did get a response from the said tuning shop, it would be a lady who sounded like she had down syndrome while delivering excuses such as "your email must have been sent to his spam folder" to cover up for their poor service.

My disappointing experience with the tuning shop I mentioned earlier angered me so much that that I cut my losses and took over the engine management calibration duties myself with SCT pro Racer software. I also received training and support from SCT and with that, I have a properly running vehicle that I can quickly calibrate myself rather than have some one else do it and that's a win in my book.

The point that I cannot stress enough to protect your self from running into an incompetent tuning shop or questionable individuals offering instruction is to deal directly with the manufacture of your particular engine management system when seeking instruction, training or a referral for a shop / dealer offering calibration services and this is the approach I have followed ever since I took over the tuning on my car and so far, I haven't experienced any headaches.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Apparently it's been a while since you've accessed any of the SCT forums. They're ghost towns now. And with the EPA on their backs they've limited some people's access to the software they bought. I posted a question that I forgot about. It took 6 months to get a response. I don't call that great service. I still have my SCT software, but mostly because I can't sell it and if I did I would feel bad doing so.

·
Administrator
9,417 Posts
Jan,,

You experience challenges at a frequency and a level disproportionate to most anyone else I know. Whenever those sorts of events appear on a regular basis for an individual it is usually related to the individual, the selection process and the criteria they use.

One of the beauties of our free market system is that the substandard product and service providers are typically weeded out of the universe of potential providers relatively early. While there are exceptions to every 'rule' by and large the consumer group dynamic will weed out the bad eggs over time.

Similarily the consumer of the parts and services will typically become more educated about the endeavor he is engaged in and will become less likely to imbue a product or service with attributes he believes it should possess when the offerer never stated they did.

Interesting comments even though I don't agree with any of them. As I mentioned earlier, the advanced tuning book that I harshly criticized failed to present any relevant or specific instruction or information on calibrating Ford engine management systems. In fact, the following document from Ford performance has plenty of good information that was absent from the "advanced tuning book. "Ford Performance EFI Tips
While everyone is entitled to their own opinion they are not entitled to their own facts, as the saying goes.

In the example above you are disappointed with a publication that did not deliver on what you believed the book should contain vs what the author said and wanted the book to contain. While you are certainly entitled to your own selection criteria, when you find something that does not meet your criteria the solution is not to purchase it. To purchase it and then critically review it for not being written in a fashion you think it should have been begs the question why didn't your prepurchase review evaluate the product or service more carefully before spending your monies?

In regards to MAF sensor calibrations, As enthusiasts, many of us don't have access to a flow bench for MAF sensor flow testing and calibrating. However, depending on the engine management system and MAF sensor being used, us enthusiasts may have access to value files and known MAF transfer functions that will allow us to make MAF sensor transfer function adjustments and calculations if needed.
What you are saying now and what you complained about earlier are differs issues that you are conflating into a victimization event where you proclaim yourself as the victim. You previously said,

The problem with the Engine Management Advanced tuning"book was that it had very generic and basic information about EFI systems and lacked any specific or detailed information such as calculating and creating a MAF transfer function for example.
Steve Boeing's Tuning Workbook Pro v14.02 provides all the SCT MAF xfer curve data and all it takes is a mouse click. Some of the Non SCT MAF's can be flowed by Pro-M Racing. There is no difficulty in obtaining MAF transfer data. You just have to open your eyes a bit and use search functions readily available to all.

You followed up with,

The Engine Management Advanced tuning"book is a useless book as it left the impression of it being written with the intent to show off one's perceived knowledge rather then serve an "advanced tuning reference book" that it clearly is not.
What you have here is nothing less than a consumer not doing his prepurchase due diligence to determine if the product (a book in this instance) or a service is in fact what they were looking for. After not exercising your prepurchase due diligence to determine the publication was what you were looking for you then decry the author and his publication for not being what you think it should be.

This is not a provider problem this is a buyer problem with the buyer again setting himself up as a victim and looking for someone else to blame for his own lack of pre-purchase dilligence.

Finally, the following response besides being condescending, may not be a solid recommendation:
"Whenever a potential enthusiast approaches the learning experience like this it is probably better to forego the educational process and just buy the knowledge from a tuning shop as part of their tuning service. Continued attempts to turn the proverbial sausage grinder backwards waiting to create a steak from the ground meat never works out well."
When I say " not a solid recommendation" I suspect that you forget to take into consideration that some tuning shops are incompetent and unable to provide an acceptable level of service.
The recommendation is not only not condecending, but repeatedly setting yourself up as a victim does not serve to further anything that might help you. The use of third party service providers or products is very likely one of the very few alternatives available to an unknowledgeable consumer of specialized products or services like you, if they want to get that product or benefit from that service. Of course we once again have the pre-purchase demon rising up in front of us that must be successfully defeated if we are to select wisely.

The point that I cannot stress enough to protect your self from running into an incompetent tuning shop or questionable individuals offering instruction is to deal directly with the manufacture of your particular engine management system when seeking instruction, training or a referral for a shop / dealer offering calibration services and this is the approach I have followed ever since I took over the tuning on my car and so far, I haven't experienced any headaches.
The point you are attempting to make is — not being made. You are missing the fact that all three Detroit auto manufacturers have repeatedly contracted with this individual for calibration services when they get painted into a corner. Three F-100 class companies would not make the same mistake repeatedly. Their own internal due diligence investigations and their real world service delivery experiences has long ago confirmed, for them, that this guy is the real deal as we sometimes say.

Over a decade in the industry, repeated consulting / service contracts with the big three, good review after good review and you dismiss the resource as insufficient. Again, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. There are many others who have used his services and publications with offer a different perspective

The fact that you can not swim in the same end of the swimming pool as he can just says he possess knowledge and skills you do not. You could, if you wanted, learn but you are dismissing the opportunity out of hand because you wanted him to write a book for you that was not on his agenda.

Try not to turn yourself into a victim. Embrace knowledge and learning wherever you can find it. Do not buy products and or services that require knowledge and or learning experience levels and requirements you can not satisfy. You will be better off, happier and more knowledgeable for the effort.

Ed

·
Registered
2003 Azure blue Mach 1. Built and Boosted
15 Posts
Shawn,

I forgot to respond to one of your questions about the BAP and amperage draw. If you have a 40 amp BAP then you have a 40 amp draw on the electrical system that you have to provide for.

Ed
OK thanks for confirming that for me

·
Administrator
9,417 Posts
... What does MDM stand for?

Shawn

Shawn,

This should add a little more to the answer to your question about what is an MDM.

The actual unit looked like this;

It's purpose was to allow the use of three FGT pumps using a single FPDM without the FPDM going into a thermal overload shutdown. At the time Fore Precision, now Fore Innovations, made both the billet MDM case and also a three pump hat for the FGT pumps.

The MDM substantially simplified the required wiring required to drive three fuel pumps at max current draw. This is a wiring diagram that MJ Chip (the designer) built to illustrate the simplified wiring;

Ed

·
Registered
15 Posts
Impressive looking unit! That would cut down on a bunch of wiring and would make the install so much cleaner.

Would this be an alternative to using 2 FPDM's? I'm asking because I have an extra FPDM and was wondering if it would be any advantage for me to wire the extra FPDM in to work with my cobra pumps (OEM). My understanding for using the second FPDM is to reduce the duty cycle on each pump. Also it will keep FPDM's from going into thermal shut down since they are not working as hard. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks
Shawn

·
Administrator
9,417 Posts
You are basically right about the use of a second FPDM. That is the way Ford built the FGT fuel system for the high performance (at that time) multiple pumps that were necessary to fuel the FGT engine.. This approach will not reduce the pump duty cycle. The duty cycle is determined by the ECU and communicated to the FPDM which in turn drives the pump at the duty cycle specified by the ECU.

What it does do is reduce the potential to send a single FPDM into a thermal overload shutdown because of current draw — which turns out is a pretty big deal whenever you are not in your garage. If you want to use multiple FPDM's in your build, here is the proper wiring diagram to drive two FPDM's and two pumps without the using an MDM.

I don't remember who actually did this drawing. We used to have a very gifted member, Steve Boeing, on the site who built the Tuning Workbook Pro spreadsheet tool that I linked to earlier in this thread. Steve may also have done this but I don't recall anymore and for some reason I can't find any accreditation for it — but it does work which is the important issue.

Ed

p.s. I think you indicated you intended to use a Boost-A-Pump (BAP) in your build. If you do this is the correct wiring for a BAP and two FPDM's w/o an MDM,

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
You are basically right about the use of a second FPDM. That is the way Ford built the FGT fuel system for the high performance (at that time) multiple pumps that were necessary to fuel the FGT engine.. This approach will not reduce the pump duty cycle. The duty cycle is determined by the ECU and communicated to the FPDM which in turn drives the pump at the duty cycle specified by the ECU.

What it does do is reduce the potential to send a single FPDM into a thermal overload shutdown because of current draw — which turns out is a pretty big deal whenever you are not in your garage. If you want to use multiple FPDM's in your build, here is the proper wiring diagram to drive two FPDM's and two pumps without the using an MDM.

View attachment 175601

I don't remember who actually did this drawing. We used to have a very gifted member, Steve Boeing, on the site who built the Tuning Workbook Pro spreadsheet tool that I linked to earlier in this thread. Steve may also have done this but I don't recall anymore and for some reason I can't find any accreditation for it — but it does work which is the important issue.

Ed

p.s. I think you indicated you intended to use a Boost-A-Pump (BAP) in your build. If you do this is the correct wiring for a BAP and two FPDM's w/o an MDM,

View attachment 175602
Thank you Ed. I already have the BAP installed when I initially turbo’d my car. The drawing showing how to do it with dual FPDM’ s is much appreciated. Big thanks to all who contributed to this thread so far. It was and is very helpful.

Shawn

·
Registered
427 Posts
Apparently it's been a while since you've accessed any of the SCT forums. They're ghost towns now. And with the EPA on their backs they've limited some people's access to the software they bought. I posted a question that I forgot about. It took 6 months to get a response. I don't call that great service. I still have my SCT software, but mostly because I can't sell it and if I did I would feel bad doing so.
I guess I'm one of the fortunate SCT Pro Racer tuning software users, because after the shit hit the fan with the EPA, I received training from SCT and I was able to keep the full adjustability of the Pro Racer Software so for now, the SCT software does what I need it to do. However, in the future i plan to launch a serious assault against the LS powered cars and that means spinning the MOD motor well above 8000 RPM and I don't think the stock PCM can allow the motor to rev that high so in case I'll take a serious look at a replacement PCM such as the Haltech Elite 2500 or a Motec.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I guess I'm one of the fortunate SCT Pro Racer tuning software users, because after the shit hit the fan with the EPA, I received training from SCT and I was able to keep the full adjustability of the Pro Racer Software so for now, the SCT software does what I need it to do. However, in the future i plan to launch a serious assault against the LS powered cars and that means spinning the MOD motor well above 8000 RPM and I don't think the stock PCM can allow the motor to rev that high so in case I'll take a serious look at a replacement PCM such as the Haltech Elite 2500 or a Motec.
I kept my full access for a while. But when I needed to replace the dongle they dropped my access to a lower level. It didn't bother me too much as I was stand alone by then anyway.

·
Administrator
9,417 Posts
This kind of behavior and worse is standard procedure for SCT. A half dozen years ago (maybe more) before purchasing a PRP package from a licensed user who wished to sell his package, I checked with SCT customer support about their position vis-a-vis buying an already licensed PRP package from another individual. The customer support representative assured me that would not be a problem. I asked if I would be required to purchase support or if it was simply a matter of calling up for help. I was informed that it was just a matter of calling up and they would be more than happy to help me.

Before leaving the call, I asked a final question about the licensing and how to use the package on a car with a different VIN number, because my car would necessarily have a different VIN than the current owner. I was told that would need to be addressed by marketing and they would need to send me to the marketing folks to resolve that issue. When the woman I was sent to picked up my call and I explained my question she began to communicate at an elevated volume and pitch—she was literally yelling at me for asking the question!

Aside from all the unpleasantries she threatened me with, including some type of apparently illegal behavior / transaction involving theft of their intellectual property, she quickly demanded to know who told me to ask her this question because they were now fired! I was more than a little surprised at the reception and refused to give her the name of the customer support person.

This kind of behavior is simply uncalled for, but characteristic of a company you do not want to do business with under any circumstances. I can't imagine working for SCT and knowing what I now know, I certainly would never buy any product they offered. With that kind of pre-sale experience the post sales customer experience is simply unimaginable.

SCT is one of those companies you should do everything possible to avoid supporting with any purchases whatsoever!

Ed

·
Registered
427 Posts
Steve Boeing's Tuning Workbook Pro v14.02 provides all the SCT MAF xfer curve data and all it takes is a mouse click. Some of the Non SCT MAF's can be flowed by Pro-M Racing. There is no difficulty in obtaining MAF transfer data. You just have to open your eyes a bit and use search functions readily available to all.

Try not to turn yourself into a victim. Embrace knowledge and learning wherever you can find it. Do not buy products and or services that require knowledge and or learning experience levels and requirements you can not satisfy. You will be better off, happier and more knowledgeable for the effort.

Ed
Don't bother contacting Pro M racing unless you plan on purchasing products from them because over a year ago I approached Pro-M racing about flow testing a Ford Cobra Jet 123MM Maf housing that I had and Pro M essentially told me to get lost so I simply loaded a value file from SCT into my factory PCM and made adjustments from there.

Additionally, I disagree with your last statement and my counter argument is that as long as you source training directly from the manufacture of your product, then you will not run into problems. As an example, after I received instruction directly from SCT on how to use their Pro Racer product, I was able to use the Pro Racer software to successfully calibrate the PCM in my Mustang Cobra myself.

Finally, later on down the road if I decide to use a new engine Management system such as a Motec or Hal Tech, then I will deal directly with them and if Hal tech or Motec refer me to one of their dealers then that is fine. While I have mentioned that there are lot of incompetent individuals and shops that offer substandard calibration services, I do know that there are some dealers who do know what they are doing when it comes to engine management systems. For example, Accufab Racing has extensive experience and a proven track record with Motec engine management systems so I wouldn't think twice about dealing with them If I decided to use a Motec engine management system.

·
Administrator
9,417 Posts
Don't bother contacting Pro M racing unless you plan on purchasing products from them because over a year ago I approached Pro-M racing about flow testing a Ford Cobra Jet 123MM Maf housing that I had and Pro M essentially told me to get lost so I simply loaded a value file from SCT into my factory PCM and made adjustments from there.

Additionally, I disagree with your last statement and my counter argument is that as long as you source training directly from the manufacture of your product, then you will not run into problems. As an example, after I received instruction directly from SCT on how to use their Pro Racer product, I was able to use the Pro Racer software to successfully calibrate the PCM in my Mustang Cobra myself.

Finally, later on down the road if I decide to use a new engine Management system such as a Motec or Hal Tech, then I will deal directly with them and if Hal tech or Motec refer me to one of their dealers then that is fine. While I have mentioned that there are lot of incompetent individuals and shops that offer substandard calibration services, I do know that there are some dealers who do know what they are doing when it comes to engine management systems. For example, Accufab Racing has extensive experience and a proven track record with Motec engine management systems so I wouldn't think twice about dealing with them If I decided to use a Motec engine management system.

Again, Jan, while I accept your representations of your personal service experiences with Pro-M they are inconsistent with my own and those of others I have sent there. As I indicated there are some MAF's that Pro-M will not flow. Sometimes that might be because of a manufacturing issue (quality?) sometimes it is because of other issues. They will not and do not provide MAF flowing services for all MAFs.

Your SCT experience is very different from mine and others, Jan. I think if you have a good working relationship with them then you should continue to foster it. Many others, myself included, do not and have not. More importantly there is no reason to put a new enthusiast into an unnecessarily challenged position with a difficult (to be polite) service or product supplier. Of course, if your personal experience differs then you should do what is right for you.

For those who will read this thread later, you should know that SCT does not provide calibration classes over the phone. In fact they refer you to their user forums or a dealer for tuning. The SCT tech support department will help you to properly use a given feature if you are misusing it, but they do not teach you engine fueling calibration over the phone.

The Calibrated Success multi-day training course will teach you proper EFI calibration. As of today they are the only comprehensive hands on training you are likely to find commercially available. Because of covid considerations, the training has not been available during the pandemic. If you want to attend one of the training sessions, the availability date is going to necessarily be some time post pandemic.

While the Haltech and Motec ECU's are impressively featured they are also impressively priced. I find it surprising that someone who finds difficulty in buying an additional $13 bearing from a bearing supplier or even a full bearing set at around $50 to get a fully flanged upper for his engine build would find no difficulty opting for an $8,000 to $10,000 aftermarket ECU's for his build when so many less costly alternatives would be more than adequate — not intuitively obvious to say the least.

For others reading this thread in the future, the kind of information you source on the internet can either be helpful or not depending on how you filter what you find. In general you want to go with the preponderance of good experiences rather than the occasional but suspect one off or extraordinary experience.

If you are like most of us you will need to pace your parts and service expenditures to fit your budget and lifestyle. Like the old carpenters adage, 'measure twice, cut once!' Always test your assumptions and the data those searches return. If it looks or sounds like a needle in a haystack, it probably is. The process takes a bit longer but you will be better offf in the end.

Ed

·
Registered
427 Posts
Again, Jan, while I accept your representations of your personal service experiences with Pro-M they are inconsistent with my own and those of others I have sent there. As I indicated there are some MAF's that Pro-M will not flow. Sometimes that might be because of a manufacturing issue (quality?) sometimes it is because of other issues. They will not and do not provide flow flowing services for all MAFs.

Your SCT experience is very different from mine and others, Jan. I think if you have a good working relationship with them then you should continue to foster it. Many others, myself included, do not and have not. More importantly there is no reason to put a new enthusiast into an unnecessarily challenged position with a difficult (to be polite) service or product supplier. Of course, if your personal experience differs then you should do what is right for you.

For those who will read this thread later, you should know that SCT does not provide calibration classes over the phone. In fact they refer you to their user forums or a dealer for tuning. The SCT tech support department will help you to properly use a given feature if you are misusing it, but they do not teach you engine fueling calibration over the phone.

The Calibrated Success multi-day training course will teach you proper EFI calibration. As of today they are the only comprehensive hands on training you are likely to find commercially available. Because of covid considerations, the training has not been available during the pandemic. If you want to attend one of the training sessions, the availability date is going to necessarily be some time post pandemic.

While the Haltech and Motec ECU's are impressively featured they are also impressively priced. I find it surprising that someone who finds difficulty in buying an additional $13 bearing from a bearing supplier or even a full bearing set at around $50 to get a fully flanged upper for his engine build would find no difficulty opting for an $8,000 to $10,000 aftermarket ECU's for his build when so many less costly alternatives would be more than adequate — not intuitively obvious to say the least.

For others reading this thread in the future, the kind of information you source on the internet can either be helpful or not depending on how you filter what you find. In general you want to go with the preponderance of good experiences rather than the occasional but suspect one off or extraordinary experience.

If you are like most of us you will need to pace your parts and service expenditures to fit your budget and lifestyle. Like the old carpenters adage, 'measure twice, cut once!' Always test your assumptions and the data those searches return. If it looks or sounds like a needle in a haystack, it probably is. The process takes a bit longer but you will be better offf in the end.

Ed
It would be surprising if Pro-M decided not to provide flow testing of my Cobra Jet Maf over quality issues. I use the Ford Performance Cobra jet billet Maf and a stock Ford Shelby Gt500 Maf sensor and in my opinion, the quality level on those parts is high and why wouldn't it be because it's all Ford parts.

Interesting you mentioned my choice of engine bearings in this discussion and I'll say that cost was not the deciding factor in choosing Mahle Cevite bearings over an other brand. I have no problem spending money as long as it is justified and makes sense. For example, I purchased a set Manley 300M I beam rods with ARP 625+ bolts rather than go with significantly cheaper rod options. I was just simply not comfortable with the other brand of bearings.

·
Administrator
9,417 Posts
Jan I believe the exact words I used were

Again, Jan, while I accept your representations of your personal service experiences with Pro-M they are inconsistent with my own and those of others I have sent there. As I indicated there are some MAF's that Pro-M will not flow. Sometimes that might be because of a manufacturing issue (quality?) sometimes it is because of other issues. They will not and do not provide MAF flowing services for all MAFs. ...
And, unless I have mis-read your commentary, I believe that is entirely consistent with your experience.

With respect to the bearings you did say,

... I don't see the need to spend more money on two sets of main bearings just to use a fully flanged thrust bearing for my Teksid build...
That is clearly a statement of your personal cost preference to not spend $13 for a single insert or ~$50 for a bearing set to obtain a fully flanged upper. These remarks clearly reflect a monetary decision that you subsequently support with your stated preference to never run an automatic transmission.

Your reluctance to spend $13 on a single flanged bearing insert certainly pales in comparison to a willingness to spend 8 to 10 thousand dollars on an engine management system. That engine management system is nearly three orders of magnitude more expensive than the $13 bearing insert. This sort of component selection logic has no logic. Additionally this sort of commentary begs the question, is this individual being argumentative just to be argumentative or is something else going on here?

This kind of behavior brings us back to that victim mantle you so frequently like to put on. You repeatedly use this sort of monolog in an attempt to illustrate how you have been victimized. This sort of behavior does not wear well in a technical forum and moreover has no place in these technical forums.

Please bring any and all technical commentary you would like — especially when supported by fact. Save the victim status commentary for social media forums that cater to and encourages that sort of behavior, it has no place here.

Ed

·
Registered
427 Posts
Jan I believe the exact words I used were

And, unless I have mis-read your commentary, I believe that is entirely consistent with your experience.

With respect to the bearings you did say,

That is clearly a statement of your personal cost preference to not spend $13 for a single insert or ~$50 for a bearing set to obtain a fully flanged upper. These remarks clearly reflect a monetary decision that you subsequently support with your stated preference to never run an automatic transmission.

Your reluctance to spend $13 on a single flanged bearing insert certainly pales in comparison to a willingness to spend 8 to 10 thousand dollars on an engine management system. That engine management system is nearly three orders of magnitude more expensive than the $13 bearing insert. This sort of component selection logic has no logic. Additionally this sort of commentary begs the question, is this individual being argumentative just to be argumentative or is something else going on here?

This kind of behavior brings us back to that victim mantle you so frequently like to put on. You repeatedly use this sort of monolog in an attempt to illustrate how you have been victimized. This sort of behavior does not wear well in a technical forum and moreover has no place in these technical forums.

Please bring any and all technical commentary you would like — especially when supported by fact. Save the victim status commentary for social media forums that cater to and encourages that sort of behavior, it has no place here.

Ed
Final thing I will say that you are not understanding what I am saying. As I mentioned earlier, cost was not the deciding factor in my decision to use Clevite engine bearings. Simple answer is that I am very particular about the brand of product that use on my mod motor engine so even if the other brand of bearings were given to me for free, I would not put them in my engine. Now I am not suggesting that the other brand of bearing is garbage, all I'm saying is that I am choosing what I think is the best part for my application. simple as that. And I will allocate the required funds for good parts if there is a good reason for it. For example I ignored the recommendations of many people who said that the 300M rods are not needed but I proceeded to spend over $2700 on Manley Billet Ibeam 300M rods anyway because I wanted the strongest rod possible and I'm the one that is building the engine not some one else so I'm the one that gets to decide what part is best for my build. Of course I do not have all the answers but I know were to get expert MOD motor advice and in that regard, Accufab Racing in Ontario California has provided me with invaluable advise.

Finally, you keep mentioning "victim mentality" as if you somehow know what my intentions are but you are incorrect. all I will say is that for sure I have made a few mistakes along the way in dealing with individuals and certain companies but the important thing to me is that I learned a great deal from those experiences and I am applying those lessons to my current Modular engine build.

·
Administrator
9,417 Posts
Jan, words have meaning. When you use them and then say that is not what you meant, not withstanding what the words are saying, your communications become very difficult to decipher let alone understand.

When you say;

... I don't see the need to spend more money on two sets of main bearings just to use a fully flanged thrust bearing for my Teksid build...
Your words were very clear. This was a cost based decision that you determined did not justify the expenditure of more money. For you to come back and restate it as anything other than what you first represented it to be, is where the confusion begins and the credibility disappears.

The words are simple, the sentence structure is simple and neither obviously fit your later logical argument so you simply ignored them until they were introduced as your stated position on the matter — which disagreed with your then current position on a different but related matter.

You can't have it both ways and frankly your communication subterfuge makes it difficult to determine which position if either is really the way you evaluated a particular event or item. You own this one and you have no one else to blame for the mis-messaging than yourself.

Your self victimization is an ongoing phenomena that you practice with amazing alacrity and frequency. It has become so second nature to you that you may not even recognize that you are doing it anymore. To help you regain your perspective on this, you should check out this video => Self Victimization

While I recognize you probably do not recognize that you are practicing this sort of behavior, those watching you do and I would encourage you to stop doing that in a technical forum unless you want to be permanently removed from the forum. This forum is about tech and none of the other social nonsense. Please do not bring it or I will terminate it.

Bring all the tech you wish and please bring any supporting, factual data, it is all welcome. The other stuff — not so much.

Ed

41 - 60 of 60 Posts