Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this on another site......has any one herd of this......sounds kind of crazy, but who knows.

I learned today that 1 possible cure is a right side air bag and some other small mods to the control arms. Howie spoke with someone that's been 11.20's on the independent rear set up using only this to eliminate the hop. My car will get this mod next week and I'll let you know [dry roads prevailing of course] if the problem is solved. We were told by many to replace with a solid axle to cure the problem, but I'm not the type of person to modify an '03 Cobra in such a way that I devistate it's value-

Problem solved. In my case, Howie installing an air bag in the right rear coil spring solved my problem completely-

·
Registered
237 Posts
If you can find it, post the thread address. I am reading any and everything right now.
JW

·
Registered
721 Posts
Check out a company called "AirLift", located in Lansing MI. They've been manufacturing airbags for coil springs and free standing units for years. Hell, I grew up next to that damn place...I can't believe I didn't think of this before? :banghead

May be the final answer to our wheel hop issues.

U.M.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I did not do this. I found the tread and posted it here where the experts are to see if they think it will work. I got a lot of looks but very few comments.:shocked

G

·
This setup has been used since the 50's for wheelhop and added aid in traction. I have used it and my dad on many of our musclecars through the years. Especially my 67 442 W30 that I owned...dad owns that one now...it had some aweful wheelhop an it cured it. I never really thought of using this on our cars. I might try it and let you know. Alot of companys sell airlift air bags...JCWhitney was the cheapest years ago...not if they still are. I know Summit has them too...I have a set brand new in my basement...

·
Registered
721 Posts
They already sell a system for Mustangs, but I believe it is geared more towards the "lowering" crowd vs. the drag racers. They do make custom setups though. I sent them an email and I'll fill you in once they reply.

Here's a link to the Mustang setup: Airlift

U.M.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Uncle Meat,
You are correct, in the link you provided, those are airsprings, which replace your coil springs all together. These are more for adjusting ride height, giving you the ability to lower and raise your mustang.

However, the link KOM provided, is the typical airbag that goes in the spring. This style bag has been used for years on the drag racing circuit. Keep in mind, using the bags do cause ride comfort to suffer, even when deflated very low.

Most everyone with the amazon shocks have mentioned how their ride quality has not changed significantly with the shocks. I am going to start, even though it is more expensive. If I am going to reduce the ride quality, by installing bags, I am just going to install a solid axle. I love the IRS to much to kill the quality.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So we do have a couple of folks looking into it and we will get the skinney soon, that is great. I have the AZ shockes as well,but must look into all areas.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Got a reply back from Airlift! They had me verify the spring diameter (4") on the Cobra and email them back. Looks like the 4" x 8" Air Lift 1000 (P/N 60797) is what they recommend. They also stated they have a 60 day satisfaction guarantee! For $100 I'll give 'em a try!

U.M.

EDIT! Just checked Summit Racing... they're only $62.95!

·
Registered
661 Posts
I think the air bag will not help much, Just raise the car , Make it ride harder, Maby help a verry little, but hurt the ride, and hight.
Only because you will have to keep air in them for them to work , and this will raise the rear of the car , Not good for traction :)
peace

1 - 13 of 13 Posts