The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
WOW,,,That looks nice..
Can you explain that cooling system???

·
Registered
295 Posts
Silver03Snake,
I agree with Jimmy, it looks nice, But why is it necessary to retain the stock fluid reservoir/ expansion tank? Let us know!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought it held more than it did after I pulled it off. I had already made the bracket before I pulled it out so I went ahead and moved it. I had to have a place to fill it and I guess you can also check the level there also. Another reason I had to move it was it was too close to being level with the chiller. I figured if I was going down hill for a long enough distance it might over fill. Probably not but I didn't want to take a chance. I know the pump will keep a balance but I thought it would be best. I think I'm going to make a sensor for the level of the coolant and maybe have a red light on the drivers side panel alert if the level gets too low. I'm scared crappless of a leak.

I have 45 feet of copper coils inside the tank. This is made from a 5 gallon RCI fuel cell. Ice is poured into the tank along with ice water. I have a small bilge pump inside that will circulate the water through the coils. I could tell a difference in line temp by feel without any ice or water. This is due to the added rubber hose and coils that act as another heat exchanger even without ice, greater volume of coolant and the Water Wetter. With the copper tubing and the rubber hose, I added close to 90 foot of line. I drained the original coolant out and I added four gallons of distilled water plus the Water Wetter so I figure I netted over two gallons over the stock system. I probably lost at least 1/2 gallon trying to prime the pump. I sucked and blew on the hoses enough to make Linda Lovelace jealous. I didn't think I would ever get that thing to take. More volume of coolant means lower temps also. I'm pretty sure I can knock the intake temps down pretty good.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Will the temp decrease induced power make up for the added weight of the box, water, ice and 90 feet of plumbing...

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Silver03Snake said:
I think I'm going to make a sensor for the level of the coolant and maybe have a red light on the drivers side panel alert if the level gets too low. I'm scared crappless of a leak.
Why so worried?? All that will happen is you loose some power. It will be just like running the Heaton with no IC.........like if the IC pump fuse blew.

--Joe

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know. I thought about the Saleens and Roushes with no intercooler but they aint pulling 16-18 psi either. I found out the hard way. I got talked into running at FFW in VA by Jim D'Amore a few weeks ago. I pitted with JDM. They threw out the read carpet. When I pulled up to their tent, James and Anthony jumped on my car getting it ready to race. They pulled the cover on my intercooler breaker box and put a jumper on it so the pump would run and cool the engine. I told Mark it wouldn't be good to pull the jumper and forget to plug the module back on the connector. Well Mr. Dumb Ass (me) did just that. I drive pretty easily most of the time without pulling any boost. We were about 30 miles out of Va heading home when we passed a slower car. My buddies nephew was with me and he said what was that that came out of the hood just as I blasted by the car. I didn't see anything. I mashed back on it and saw what looked like smoke coming out the hood vent. I thought belt slip but thought it odd I never seen it before. We pull over and I have anti-freeze all over. It built up so much heat it boiled the coolant up out of the intercooler. I know I didn't hurt anything but it was just dumb. I ran out of hose Sunday and my car is a daily driver. I drove it around two days with the intercooler pump disconnected. I drove it like a little old lady.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts