Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm kind of a newbie to the 03(not to mustangs) I like to lurk mostly, but i think I have a kinda valid question! Anywho, I've a got a 2.8 pulley on the way, to go along with a full length header and exhaust from QMP. And soon I'd like to pick up an addtional idler pully(metco/billetflow>don't shoot me with the M60 for grouping you here!) I'm not looking for the biggest and baddest thing out there, I'm hoping i can do that with my GT:D But I would like a consistent setup, as I read in the mustang magic post a few minutes ago. Is the 2.8 pulley only a bad idea? I have yet to purchase a chip, so any thoughts on that subject are welcome, and I think I've figured out that the Gatorback belt is the one to go with, right? Thanks for any thoughts on this subject! Charles

·
Registered
56 Posts
ug, im kinda in the same boat... im being told that a 2.93 w/o a chip is ok (safe)... Rick at StrictlyPerformance in Houston www.strictlypro.com ... I was headed there Fri. to get it done. My only chip hesitation is like all others, didnt want to nuke the warranty so soon.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Some cars have been runninga relatively long time with as small as a 2.93 with no chip. I don't know that means it is safe.

There are ways to fatten the car up with out a chip (1 or both of the zone 5 products) although for those you need to tap into some wires, which depending on how you do that may be noticable for warranty denial.

I don't know how Ford is being about swapped and reswapped pullies. I don't think you could do it without leaving a mark anywhere. I wonder if they aren't going to be looking at an 03 that never had it's pulley touched and saying, there is a scratch on your pulley your warranty is denied!

In anycase, I think the key is to not have the engine need warranty work, I think a chip is definatly a step in that direction.

JT

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, I guess I didnt tpye clearly, yes a chip is planned before the pulley, I just dont know with "who" yet, so any info on that subject is appreciated. As well, I've heard people talk about heat soak, and cars losing big power after just a few runs, will this be an issue with just the 2.8? Thanks for the replies! Charles

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Charlez03 said:
well, I guess I didnt tpye clearly, yes a chip is planned before the pulley, I just dont know with "who" yet, so any info on that subject is appreciated. As well, I've heard people talk about heat soak, and cars losing big power after just a few runs, will this be an issue with just the 2.8? Thanks for the replies! Charles
Yes.

MJ

·
Registered
521 Posts
I currently have the 2.80 with the Diablo chip. Been running with this setup over 2500 miles. You will more than likely get belt slippage witht he 2.80, so you need to go with the billetflow idler setup when it comes out. I got my Diablo chip from Amazon Racing along with the Pulley. Have had no issues other than slippage. I think he will also carry the Billetflow idler setup when it comes out. Go to the ask Rick forum here at Mod fords and ask him your questions.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am experimenting with belts from Gates and Goodyear. It's very close performance wise. However Goodyear gives you the better warrenty. As for the pulley, I felt the reduction in the top pulley is where the slip came in for me. I did want to discard my shield, so the idler pully was not for me. But I may change my mind. For now I wound up going with a 6lb. lower only. This is very close to the 2.93 upper only as far as boost levels go (6 # boost). Heat soak will allways be a problem, but it is inherent in all cars. With my 6 lb lower after 3 pulls back to back (2 minutes apart) I lost only 5hp and 5# tq., it was in my opinion very consistant. As for chips, there all good. It really depends on the tuner. Superchips and Autologic are single bank program chips, Diablo is a 4 bank, which allows the tuner to access more of your CPU, But I have seen Superchip and Autologic cars perform well, again it depends on the tuner. Rick @ Amazon hooked me up, I am very happy. I like the questions he asked me when he made my custom chip.

·
Registered
87 Posts
JT said:
Some cars have been runninga relatively long time with as small as a 2.93 with no chip. I don't know that means it is safe.

There are ways to fatten the car up with out a chip (1 or both of the zone 5 products) although for those you need to tap into some wires, which depending on how you do that may be noticable for warranty denial.

I don't know how Ford is being about swapped and reswapped pullies. I don't think you could do it without leaving a mark anywhere. I wonder if they aren't going to be looking at an 03 that never had it's pulley touched and saying, there is a scratch on your pulley your warranty is denied!

In anycase, I think the key is to not have the engine need warranty work, I think a chip is definatly a step in that direction.

JT
I am one of those guys without a chip. Based on some of the things I've been through, I would suggest to others to get a chip with anything lower than 3.1. I haven't had any problems, per se, other than light detonation until I got my plugs sorted out, but that part was enough of a hassle to make me seriously wish I had just gotten the chip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts