Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may not be a big deal to some, but to me it is.
When I drop almost 4 grand for a blower, it had better be perfect in every regard.

I have the Crusher inlet, and when I took the stock inlet off, I was immediately drawn to the blow off valve hose. It was 90+% kinked! I will be the first to say that as shipped, it will function as advertised. But.... the choice of hose used and orientation of the vacuum fitting leaves a lot to be desired. I could honestly see this hose becoming a problem down the road.

Here are the pics as shipped:

Here is the hose removed and me duplicating the exact bend:

I fixed this quite simply with some high temp silicone hose I had left over from a KB kit.
As you can see, this is waayyyy better. Hope this helps some of you.

·
Demented and old
5,322 Posts
my 3.4's hose is not kinked like that, it looks like you did a great job of putting a new one on though:tip:

·
Registered
889 Posts
I Had The Same Issue, Just Cut It Shorter.

·
Demented and old
5,322 Posts
Ehhh that's very minor, in my opinion. I think it's common to have to make small adjustments to just about every blower kit on the market to make it work.
aint that the truth, LOL

·
4.6 ways to waste money
1,940 Posts
I think the only way to get past all the Whipple and KB stuff is to go turbo...

·
Banned
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ehhh that's very minor, in my opinion. I think it's common to have to make small adjustments to just about every blower kit on the market to make it work.
Sign of the times and plain lack of caring I guess!

If I owned a Supercharger company there would never be issues.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
That's no guarantee of no problems either. There's a lot parts to a turbo kit.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Sign of the times and plain lack of caring I guess!

If I owned a Supercharger company there would never be issues.
wishfull thinking on your part. There will always be something to fix along the lines with things like this. The term "Bolt-On" needs to be taken lightly. Nothing ever is easy when going for major power. THings slip past in the process and I know Whipple is a company that will make good on any issues that may pop up.

·
Registered
617 Posts
While we strive for the best, sometimes issues arise. While this small hose is certainly a small issue, and would still in fact function, it was an oversight that I've done my best to take care with the assemblers. If someone contacted us, emailed us a photo, we could've easily fixed this. Shortening the hose, slightly rotating the fitting, and slightly rotating the hose would've done the trick. While the silicone hose is certainly a viable option, the zip ties are not ideal for high boost applications. I would highly recommend running a small clamp, as the silicone hose will soften over time and with 20+psi, may pop off and it's a nightmare to get to afterwards.

We use a very high grade rubber hose that is emissions legal for Evap and is made to take the constant abuse. Silicone works very well, but is not pass an Evap test. And while this is not exactly an emissions compliant setup, we try to keep the same hoses/fittings, etc. It's a SAE30R9 rated Gates hose.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
There are very very few truely bolt on parts that require no modification. Most modified parts need some bit of modification to work. Nature of the beast.
Others have said it also, but you hit the nail on the head. There is rarely an aftermarket part that doesn't need modification before it fits perfectly on my car.

·
Registered
593 Posts
That may be true for some.......the turbo needs and auto trans to make it right at the strip= more money + fab work, two step ignition for the track= more money + tuning, and all that extra stuff that's unaccounted for = a hell of a lot more money.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Someone already mentioned but at least clamp that line. Zip ties won't hold up at all.

·
Registered
439 Posts
My 3.4 came shipped the same way. I believe I rotated the fitting a little bit to adjust. Or maybe I didnt? Damn

·
Registered
617 Posts
My 3.4 came shipped the same way. I believe I rotated the fitting a little bit to adjust. Or maybe I didnt? Damn
That would be the simple fix, but even if it's slightly kinked, air will still pass through the hose, especially under boost. The passage can nearly neck down nothing and will still operate.

Thanks,
Dustin

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Wow, this is like reading one of the bimmer boards I'm on.
If that posses you to take pics, piss and moan on the internet, you are in for a LOONNGG, rough road ahead on modding Mustangs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts