Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently working on an 02 mustang GT's rear to build and install into the old Cobra. I hear alot about running a good anti-roll bar for straight line performance, I'm guesssing an anti-roll bar takes over the duty of an anti-sway bar, is this correct?

I'm not even sure what this part really does or helps with, and I don't want the under-side of my car to look like an erector set if it doesn't need to. In other words, I'd hate to have a ton of parts and look like a race car, and then get smoked by some other car with a less complicated suspension that works equally well or better. I do want good performance, but I don't want a suspension that should be under an 800hp car instead of what it really is, "mods in my sig below".

Please don't think that I'll just bolt stuff on without any testing or homework then complain that it doesn't work like it should on my first pass at a track, that's certainly not the case. I'm just the type of person who likes to get the most performance out of the least exotic parts as possible. I know anti-roll bars are far from exotic, but I'm just curious if they're necessary at my power level?

Keep in mind I'm not wanting sub 1.5 60' times or anything, just a respectful sub 1.9 would put a smile on my face, as I'm currently over 2 seconds with the irs.

· Premium Member
8,806 Posts
Some will call them the same thing (technically it is). If your not super worried about launching it hard at the track and low low 60's I would put a normal swap bar on it and call it a day. The anti-roll bar is tied right into the body of the car where a sway bar is just connected to the control arms. Youll feel the roll bar more on the street also....some even say to disconnect it.

· Registered
1,689 Posts
I say don't waste your money on an anti roll bar at this point, I don't have one and I cut high 1.4x sixties on a regular basis. Yes they do help a lot and I would benefit from one but I do pretty damn good without one.

· Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
04 ryan, so do you run a stock gt swaybar then?

· Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yes...along with MM lower's and new stock uppers with new bushings in the housing...welded torque boxes and axles tubes of course with Tokico Blue's and Eibach Pro springs. Hardly a drag setup....but it works ;)
I'd say it works pretty damn good, 1.4-1.6 60'ers! I'm assuming you're on slicks? I'm also pretty amazed that you're using stock upper ca's. Oh, I almost forgot to ask, are you running the weight-jacker mm lowers? I'm thinking they sell non adjustable lowers too.

· Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, I have been riding around without a front swaybar for some time now, is there a better sway bar available or is no front sway bar the hot ticket for launching? I'm still on the stock K-member with 90/10 struts.

· Registered
999 Posts
Yes I'm on 26X10 ET Drags...but was just running 275/50/15 Hoosier DR's and was cutting 1.55 60's on those. The ET Drags put me in the 1.4 60' range...I agree it works so why change it LoL. The MM lowers are not the weight jackers...they have the spherical bushing on the axle end with poly on the other end. They work great...don't make any extra noise. The stock uppers keep the rearend easy to drive on the street...but still work good enough at the track. Overall I can't complain and don't really want to change anything...it works...car goes straight...no sway on the slicks...works for me :)

· Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes I'm on 26X10 ET Drags...but was just running 275/50/15 Hoosier DR's and was cutting 1.55 60's on those. The ET Drags put me in the 1.4 60' range...I agree it works so why change it LoL. The MM lowers are not the weight jackers...they have the spherical bushing on the axle end with poly on the other end. They work great...don't make any extra noise. The stock uppers keep the rearend easy to drive on the street...but still work good enough at the track. Overall I can't complain and don't really want to change anything...it works...car goes straight...no sway on the slicks...works for me :)
I'm glad I heard from you in this thread, because you're getting it done without an erector set under your car, and I agree with you, why mess with it if it works!

· Registered
829 Posts
I'm currently working on an 02 mustang GT's rear to build and install into the old Cobra. I hear alot about running a good anti-roll bar for straight line performance, I'm guesssing an anti-roll bar takes over the duty of an anti-sway bar, is this correct?

I'm not even sure what this part really does or helps with, and I don't want the under-side of my car to look like an erector set if it doesn't need to. In other words, I'd hate to have a ton of parts and look like a race car, and then get smoked by some other car with a less complicated suspension that works equally well or better. I do want good performance, but I don't want a suspension that should be under an 800hp car instead of what it really is, "mods in my sig below".

Please don't think that I'll just bolt stuff on without any testing or homework then complain that it doesn't work like it should on my first pass at a track, that's certainly not the case. I'm just the type of person who likes to get the most performance out of the least exotic parts as possible. I know anti-roll bars are far from exotic, but I'm just curious if they're necessary at my power level?

Keep in mind I'm not wanting sub 1.5 60' times or anything, just a respectful sub 1.9 would put a smile on my face, as I'm currently over 2 seconds with the irs.
As I said in the other thread, you don't need a solid anti-roll bar to run the times you're looking for. And since you're clearly concerned about the ride quality, I wouldn't recommend one for you.

Some will call them the same thing (technically it is). If your not super worried about launching it hard at the track and low low 60's I would put a normal swap bar on it and call it a day. The anti-roll bar is tied right into the body of the car where a sway bar is just connected to the control arms. Youll feel the roll bar more on the street also....some even say to disconnect it.
Yep, that's what I said too. BTW Jake, I met you at NED's Ford Fest. I was covering the event for 5.0 Magazine. I included a launch photo of your car in my article, but I'm not sure when it will hit newsstands. Should be soon though.

If it helps me go straight down the trrack I want one!!
That's my philosophy on my own cars as well!

Also, I have been riding around without a front swaybar for some time now, is there a better sway bar available or is no front sway bar the hot ticket for launching? I'm still on the stock K-member with 90/10 struts.
No front swaybar for the best 60-foot time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.