Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thumbing through a 5.0 Mag and I saw the Venom nitrous kit. I've always been under the impression that nitrous goes on and off. so one minute you've got just V8 power and then BLAM it just takes off, and I couldnt figure out how you'd get any traction with such a jump, especially with torque cuz Mod motors make crazy torque with spray. So anways, the venom kit has a linear mode that ramps more nitrous as throttle is fed. Thats F'n sweet! Has anyone used a Venom kit? They look a bit pricey. If so I'd probably use a 125 shot b/c my car is stock. Any comments? I heard ZEX has a "smart" system but their website isn't too clear on how it actually activates the good stuff. Well. if you guys know anything I'd appreciate the knowledge. THANKS!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I have never heard of that Venom kit. I am a big fan of the NOS 5115 dry kit. It is simple, cheap, and it works. Traction will not be that bad.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'm a fan of NX - Nitrous Express. The new NXL kit is NICE - I'd have that over the Venom or ZEX.

My first nitrous kit was an NOS 5115, and all the parts looked cheap. The solenoids out of the box didn't work, and their tech said wash them with mild soap and water to fix them. I did, and they still didn't work. Cheap solenoids, feedline broke, hate the cheap plastic bottle brackets etc. The only thing I liked about the NOS kit was the blue bottle. I got the NX kit, the solenoids where way larger, all the lines were quality, and the solenoids worked out of the box - flawless. The NX solenoids are lifetime guaranteed too.

See my homepage for more pictures. http://hometown.aol.com/nxnitrousmustang/

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Does NX make a dry kit? The one on your engine appears to be a wet kit. I have used the NOS kits for years and have never had a problem with any of their solenoids or lines. As a matter of fact, I have never really noticed a difference in any nitrous company's lines. I Know NX makes some nice stuff, it seems a little pricey to me though. You can pick up a good used 5115 kit for ~$300 or so. It is also much safer than running a wet kit.

·
Registered
302 Posts
One of my friends just put the 5115 on his 91 coupe, and after about two weeks the selenoid started acting up.

I am probably going to go with a TNT kit...

·
Registered
630 Posts
Yes, it's a wet kit, and I haven't had any problems with it at all. Just follow manufactures directions, keep bottle pressure and fuel pressure where it's supposed to be and have fun.

I can take a picture of the broke line and small solenoids the NOS kit has, and compare them to the NX if you like. Then you can compare quality. It's in everyone's opinion and from experience as to what they like. To each his own though.

Look at the size of the solenoids in this picture and look at your dry kit. Maybe that picture is close enough for you to see the difference in the feed lines also. The AN fittings are of better quality upon a closer look.

Not flaming, just informing. - John

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
How much did that system you have cost? Did it come with a throttle position activation switch? or do you use a momentary switch?

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have the NX Nitrous Express Kit 20113-Up215 Ford EFI Race (100-250hp) Single Nozzle. The Up215 means upgraded to a 15lb bottle. I think the kit when I got it was about $635 shipped or so from Wynne Speed. That was a while ago and has went up a bit since. Look in MM&FF or 5.0 magazine at Wynne Speed and the prices are listed - 86-02 EFI kit (50-150hp) $553.99 and 86-03 EFI Race kit (100-250hp) $599.00. Not bad considering what you'd pay for a stage 2 NOS dry kit or a race NOS kit. It activates on a WOT switch. Not the type that clips in the throttle position sensor, but you can order that as an upgrade. - John

http://hometown.aol.com/nxnitrousmustang/

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Nos eats the TEFLON COATING on the Eaton rotors

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Jim Vaccaro said:
Nos eats the TEFLON COATING on the Eaton rotors

Hmmm, where have I seen that picture before? :)

MJ

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Mark, I think that is Plagerism(SPL) whatever!

Teflon Gone
How serious do you think that is?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Jim Vaccaro said:
Mark, I think that is Plagerism(SPL) whatever!

Teflon Gone
How serious do you think that is?
Well, doesn't seem very serious to me if it is from the nitrous. However, there is a theory that some of the coating wear is from seriously overspinning the blower causing the rotors to deflect and the interference tolerances to shrink. If this is the case, is it then possible that with enough rotational speed and heat that the rotors could then lock up? That could be ugly.

MJ

1 - 12 of 12 Posts