Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any problems installing or removing an aluminum upper pulley like the RR non-slip on the steel blower shaft? I'm just curious due to the different metal types. Is anti-seize recommended during the installation?

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I'm no expert on the subject, but the only issues that I've heard of with them is in their removal, some folks have bent them taking them off. This may also relate to the removal tool used.

Bill

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the comment Bill.

KO

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
I think it depends on the quality of the aluminum pulley..I had an anodized aluminum pulley and replaced it with a steel pulley. ,,however the anodized aluminum pulley was on the car for 8000 miles and came off without a problem..It also performed well for those 8000 miles..The Aluminum Pulley was good enough to go on another car and it still works great.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wrecked my first 2.7rr pulley when i removed it with my asp puller, but i found the trick. Heat the pulley(heat gun) after you have your puller with light tension Heat the center and it slides of like it was buttered.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've done over 14000km with my 3.1 anodized pulley with no problems. We did'nt use anti seize on my installation and from experience in a machine shop I would not advice re using an aluminum pulley unless you can mic the pully and blower shaft for a proper .001/.0015' press fit. As Jim is saying, the quality of aluminum is very important, although I believe most aftermarket pulleys are 660aircraft or better .

Riaan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts