Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any new info on the C&L mani? I know a couple vendors got a shipment back in december, but I have yet to hear anything further..

Whats the word?!?!

·
Registered
61 Posts
All I know about it is that it doesn't give great gains on stock motor, it's best for ported heads and cams.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats perfectly fine! That is exactly the type of car this intake is needed for!

·
Registered
510 Posts
All I know about it is that it doesn't give great gains on stock motor, it's best for ported heads and cams.
Got a dynograph to prove that claim?

I don't work for C&L nor am I associated with them in any way, but that is a false statement because nobody knows what it will do on a stock motor. Also, what do you consider a "great gain?" 10rwhp? 30rwhp? 100rwhp? People seem to expect inordinate amounts of power from something that is supposed to be modification to be a foundation for other modifications.

Nobody has any hard data as of yet or has released any. Supposedly MMFF and 5.0 are going to have test articles on it with both stock and modified vehicles to show gains from both.

I don't think these intakes have hit the public market quite yet, but according to C&L's site they are on the cusp of releasing them to the public.

·
Old School
2,801 Posts
The latest is that the vendors said months ago that it would be out in a couple of weeks. Where it is, who knows? Id like to try one out!

·
Registered
510 Posts
The latest is that the vendors said months ago that it would be out in a couple of weeks. Where it is, who knows? Id like to try one out!
I know JDM got one and was testing it, but they never posted anything up after that in regards to results. I think most of that was due to the fact it was part of an MMFF article that should be due out here pretty soon.

Kinda sucks they have to keep all hush hush about it, but then they would steal MMFF's thunder, so.......

·
Registered
194 Posts
:drugs:I saw a yeti carrying a set of those C&Lheads; he was being chased by a leprechaun with the C&L intake...

True story...:drugs:

·
Registered
86 Posts
^ :lol:

·
Registered
189 Posts
In case you might consider an alternative...we have just installed the JPC intake manifold.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If he has 1,800.00 in cash to spend on 20HP.

·
Registered
476 Posts
actually I would be willing to bet that added at least 30rwhp for steve's car...

different setups will gain more or less...steve's car is definitely one that gained more..

·
Registered
510 Posts
actually I would be willing to bet that added at least 30rwhp for steve's car...

different setups will gain more or less...steve's car is definitely one that gained more..
No offense to him, you, or JPC, but a 30rwhp gain from a $1,800.00 intake on a car that has a turbo, stroked motor, ported heads, and cams isn't impressive at all.

·
Registered
83 Posts
No offense to him, you, or JPC, but a 30rwhp gain from a $1,800.00 intake on a car that has a turbo, stroked motor, ported heads, and cams isn't impressive at all.
30 rwhp from a bolt on piece on top of those mods sounds good to me. You got to pay to play as they say lol

·
05 BOSS 302
3,947 Posts
I bet it adds 50rwhp up top. Plus being able to match the flow to each cylinder is huge in keeping a motor alive when you are running boost. Just look at the differences in flow numbers that C&L found when testing the stock manifold. Something like a 30% difference between the highest flowing and worst flowing runner. That is a huge difference in AFR between those two cylinders.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I bet it adds 50rwhp up top. Plus being able to match the flow to each cylinder is huge in keeping a motor alive when you are running boost. Just look at the differences in flow numbers that C&L found when testing the stock manifold. Something like a 30% difference between the highest flowing and worst flowing runner. That is a huge difference in AFR between those two cylinders.
Thats what I was going to say is the biggest benefit. I can always add boost to make more power , but I need for the tune up to be good. If one cylinder is 30% leaner when your pushing 24 psi's , well lets just say its going to be a bad day.

Pete

·
05 BOSS 302
3,947 Posts
Thats what I was going to say is the biggest benefit. I can always add boost to make more power , but I need for the tune up to be good. If one cylinder is 30% leaner when your pushing 24 psi's , well lets just say its going to be a bad day.

Pete
Or you are going to be leave power on the table if you tune so that the leanest cylinder is at the correct AFR, now the lowest flowing cylinder is 30% too rich.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thats what I was going to say is the biggest benefit. I can always add boost to make more power , but I need for the tune up to be good. If one cylinder is 30% leaner when your pushing 24 psi's , well lets just say its going to be a bad day
We had such a day in November at 27lbs boost. Seems like some cylinders were lean and other rich. The result was a resounding boooooom. The custom intake for us is about achieving evenly distributed gases. We have also installed EGT (exhaust gas temp) sensors and the tuners have upgraded their software to check each cylinder separately during during tuning. But hey...if we make a few extra horses at the same time....we'll take'em

·
Registered
810 Posts
Or you are going to be leave power on the table if you tune so that the leanest cylinder is at the correct AFR, now the lowest flowing cylinder is 30% too rich.
Its not an exact science, Im just trying to be extra careful.
Im not going to be running 24 psi's on the stock Intake.

What I am going to do is turn it up to lets say 18 but leave power on the table to compensate. Its really hard to tell which are the leanest without the proper sensors so Im just thinking as a whole. , I dont think with a 11.0 to 11.2 a/f it could hurt much .
This is only a temp tune for Bradenton, once I get back the return style system goes in , and hopefully the C&L Intake . Lets see what happens till then.

Pete

·
Registered
564 Posts
Its gonna show its biggest gains with centri or turbo powered applications
That would make sense.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.