Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i had to try it and so i did lol...Im running a magnaflow catback and x pipe with cats and the other day i pulled the tailpipes off and gave it try......the sounds was great allot deeper and sounded freekin awesome when i got on it. The surprise to me was that it wasnt really bad in the car at all and i didnt install a dump i just left the muffler open,im guessing with an actual dump on it it would be even better. there was a very slight smell of exhaust in the car when i first started it and after that it was all good.
the only problem is that there isnt any hangers on the mid pipes on these cars so you gonna have to make a bracket to hold up the mufflers.

Ok now for my question ....does anyone else run like this? can it hurt anything? and will it give me more power? also if anyone knows where i can get an actual dump that would be great.I know one thing ,peoples heads almost ripped off there shoulders if i opened her up ........NICE.:D

G

·
I had told Pete to try that at the last dyno session....I dont think he had a chance. The 93 coupe prototype of the 96 cobra I had ran over 2 tenths quicker out the flowmaster mufflers than with the tailpipes...also..stock 5.0 tailpipes for 93....but that was on that motor..no supercharger...no headers.....but it seems like something to definitely check out.....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i couldnt tell if it made more power or not. it spun through first and second same as usual lol

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i was thinking of just extending the dumps to the side of the car ...not really side pipes but good enough for me ....then i could open my door and listen to the exhaust pipe lol:shocked

·
Registered
516 Posts
There is a company that makes an oval slash cut side exit exhaust for the mustangs that looks awesome. I can't think of the company name right now but they advertise in the back of either MM&FF or 5.0 mag. The pipes exit right in front of the rear tires. I would have put these on my 03' if the rear bumper didn't have cut outs for the exhaust. I don't care for the rear bumper look without exhaust pipes. I have driven some Cobras with Classic Design side exhaust and the sound is unbelievable. They use a very similar muffler and pipe exit design as the pipes I am reffering to.

·
Registered
282 Posts
spintech maybe....???

Kevin

G

·
No..not really......finicky had just asked me if anyone has tried running without tailpipes....dumps are still known for exiting before the mufflers.....like just after headers ...also the F body Camaro and Firebird LS1 and LT1 crowd use them alot in their single exhaust one huge muffler systems ....to dump after the cat and before the muffler.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com
(74 cars owned through the years...a true motorhead)

·
Registered
7 Posts
F-Bod Guys

My bud with a Z28 was picking out everything from the headers back by looking asking listening at a show, being their cars are a lot different exhaust wise, I was mostly looking at girls.

One thing I liked a lot though was twin down pipes right about behind the drivers seat. Sound was great. I too prefer rear pipes, but those sure sounded sweet. They have a lot of "systems" read -expensive to choose from.

I am not a big fan of pingy Flowmasters, might be that is the one and only mod people do to their 'stangs here.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
I have turn-downs on my 93 LX. Exhaust as usual then 90 degree elbows pointing straight down right after the mufflers. It makes things much louder in the car. But what would the 03 rear spoiler look like with turn-downs instead of tail pipes? On my LX it looks really good because there's no tail pipe cut-outs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts