Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sucks that they are plastic, but i dont really want to buy alum covers since they dont make me faster, lol. I figured i could buy some aluminum color rattle can engine paint and see how they turn out. Anybody painted their's and have any tips?

·
Registered
683 Posts
You need to clean them really good. I used Simple green and water, then I wiped them down with MEK or you could use acetone.

Here is a pic of one of my covers with Dupli-Color Cast Coat Aluminum #DE1650. I think they turned out good.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
sucks that they are plastic, but i dont really want to buy alum covers since they dont make me faster, lol. I figured i could buy some aluminum color rattle can engine paint and see how they turn out. Anybody painted their's and have any tips?
I did, Degrease, wash in bathtub after that with dish soap, get as clean as possible and paint with primer, high temp if possible, I prefer white primer. Then paint the color and finally paint with high temp clear. I prefer Rustoleum for all stages. Mark.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Damn!

Thats a good looking Valve cover! I've painted valve covers before, but I'd always end up with a few runs here and there. Very nice!

You need to clean them really good. I used Simple green and water, then I wiped them down with MEK or you could use acetone.

Here is a pic of one of my covers with Dupli-Color Cast Coat Aluminum #DE1650. I think they turned out good.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
man, that did turn out nice. i'll def paint them. I just didnt know if the cast alum sprays would stick to plastic since they usually say for use on metel. But if they are working on yours, i'm going to give it a shot

·
Registered
683 Posts
man, that did turn out nice. i'll def paint them. I just didnt know if the cast alum sprays would stick to plastic since they usually say for use on metel. But if they are working on yours, i'm going to give it a shot
The key is wiping them down with MEK or Acetone, I used lots of it. It will suck the oil out of the covers. I didn't even use primer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I painted mine too. They looked exactly like the pic in post #2. After being in the engine bay for 2+ years, they look like poop. Fuel and oil spills have stripped the paint off in spots and caused discoloration. Maybe I should have cleared them after painting?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I painted mine too. They looked exactly like the pic in post #2. After being in the engine bay for 2+ years, they look like poop. Fuel and oil spills have stripped the paint off in spots and caused discoloration. Maybe I should have cleared them after painting?
+clean the crap off spilled on them :dumb:

·
Registered
47 Posts
+clean the crap off spilled on them :dumb:
What I'm saying is that the fuel stripped the paint off in spots. Its no longer there. There is nothing to clean.

I guess if you're really careful and never spill gas or any other kind of solvent on them you'll be good to go...

·
Registered
683 Posts
What I'm saying is that the fuel stripped the paint off in spots. Its no longer there. There is nothing to clean.

I guess if you're really careful and never spill gas or any other kind of solvent on them you'll be good to go...
Did you bake the paint on after you painted them? That's what I plan on doing, I don't know if it will help. Keep a rag handy and wipe that stuff off before it has a chance to ruin the paint.

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
I had a couple sets painted with automotive paint by a friend, but I did notice I should have done more "body work" on them before hand. The paint shows up all the flaws afterwards even though they are not easily spotted once in the engine bay. Next time, I will prep them really well and sand out the bad spots and factory flaws.

Here's a few pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did not bake it. How hot do you have to get it to bake?
I think it depends on the type of paint you are using. I forget which brand engine enamel (duplicolor or platikote) i was looking at but it said 200 degrees for an hour.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts