Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked about this before but got no replies so I'll rephrase it hoping somebody knows what's going on here...

I recently picked up a CHEAP 04 GT. Runs and drives great besides a non functioning speedometer and a digital odometer that doesnt add any miles at first and then after 10 minutes it displays "-------------." It also has a check engine light with a Vehicle Speed Sensor low voltage trouble code and the traction control turns off when the odometer stops displaying the last mileage it was functional at and turns to "---------------"

The door jamb sticker says it's a trans code K which indicates it should have a TR3650. But upon closer inspection it's got a Borg Warner Tremec trans that appears to be a T45 which somebody swapped in there. The VSS in the T45 is a mechanical style with a plastic gear that rotates with the trans. The VSS in a TR3650 has a magnetic pickup and is a different diameter.

Does the mechanical style T45 sensor have the ability to interface with my 04 digital odometer? Is there a way to adapt it? Can I swap the gauges out for a 96-98? It may not fix the traction control though. Did 96-98 have traction control at all?

Is the traction control a function of the ECU or is it a separate control module that i can fiddle with?

Perhaps it's just a bad wire. I don't know. So many variables with this bass ackwards trans swap. As soon as I fix this issue I plan to flip this car and double or triple my money but I won't get much if it has these minor issues. And I really dont want to do a whole trans swap over something so dumb.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
The 99 and 00's came with a T45. So it's possible to make work. Chances are the traction control issues stems from the VSS. Once you fix that the traction control will probably be fine.

TBH you'll probably be better off selling the T45 and picking up the correct 3650. You'll probably spend more time and money trying to get it to work over swapping in the right trans.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking into finding a 99-00 T45 tailshaft with the magnetic VSS and swapping it for the 96-98 tailshaft it probably has in it now, but I'm starting to think that's a good idea to just find a 3650. The previous owner put a monster racing clutch in this T45 and the springs are so stiff it snapped my clutch cable. And the syncros are pretty fussy before its warmed up. Especially 2nd and reverse. I just replaced the snapped cable... cant believe that trans doesnt have a hydraulic clutch. Does the 3650 in 04 have just a cable clutch too? Is there a good hydraulic upgrade for it? Maybe if I put a more street oriented clutch in itll be fine... that clutch is pretty bada$$ though once you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 99 and 00's came with a T45. So it's possible to make work. Chances are the traction control issues stems from the VSS. Once you fix that the traction control will probably be fine.

TBH you'll probably be better off selling the T45 and picking up the correct 3650. You'll probably spend more time and money trying to get it to work over swapping in the right trans.
I was looking into finding a 99-00 T45 tailshaft with the magnetic VSS and swapping it for the 96-98 tailshaft it probably has in it now, but I'm starting to think that's a good idea to just find a 3650. The previous owner put a monster racing clutch in this T45 and the springs are so stiff it snapped my clutch cable. And the syncros are pretty fussy before its warmed up. Especially 2nd and reverse. I just replaced the snapped cable... cant believe that trans doesnt have a hydraulic clutch. Does the 3650 in 04 have just a cable clutch too? Is there a good hydraulic upgrade for it? Maybe if I put a more street oriented clutch in itll be fine... that clutch is pretty bada$$ though once you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ford didn't start using hydraulic set ups until 05. It's all cable before that. The clutch makes a big difference. As well as making sure the cable is lubed.

I have an RXT in my 04 and found it easier to push than the stock set up in my wife's 06 GT. I'm not saying run out and get a dual disc clutch. Just saying it's possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts