Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how much if any slip I would have with this combo over my existing combo, which is 2.80 single 100mm idler and a 74 gates/napa belt. My good friend runs a 74.5 gatorback with the SPHQ idlers which look like to me they do nothing for belt wrap and he also runs the 2.80 and his car has always mph'd better than mine and about the only difference in our combos are the belt and idler setup, he and several other have suggested that the 100mm idler causes some drag on the blower pulley by the increased belt wrap it gives and cost some power, I figured by removing the 100mm idler and installing the same length (74) gatorback it would do 2 things, 1 loosen up the belt a bit by not having the idler and 2 decrease belt wrap and drag, if I can get by without belt slip it should go faster??? Any opinions and does anyone run this or a similar combo????

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Why not use 2.80 with 73.5in Gatorback Belt..I used 3.00 and 2.93 with 74in Gatorback and with both setups,,
I needed no Idler.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I could try the 73.5 , I have talked with some guys recently that have used the 74 with the 2.80 and had good luck, I am gonna try it and see if I get alot of slip, I dont think I will. When did you go to the 2.93 JV????

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
trey193 said:
Yeah I could try the 73.5 , I have talked with some guys recently that have used the 74 with the 2.80 and had good luck, I am gonna try it and see if I get alot of slip, I dont think I will. When did you go to the 2.93 JV????
UPR uses 74in Belt with 2.80 Pulley with there VENOM Package..
I know SFPH has 73.5 in GB Belts and they work great..

I tried a Lighning Pulley and the 3.00..I think i'll stay with the 2.93 Lightning Pulley because it's steel..I prefer running Steel Press on as opposed to Alum pressed on Steel shaft..

On Aug 23rd I'll dyno and see if the 2.93 added anything..
With my new HE and LT's ,I think the difference going from 3.00 to 2.93 won't sacrafice Efficiency and might add a few ponies ..We will see.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I will be interested to see the results. You do things the right way J.V. I would think your car would pick up everywhere with the 2.93!

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
trey193 said:
Yeah I will be interested to see the results. You do things the right way J.V. I would think your car would pick up everywhere with the 2.93!
Thank's,,,I enjoy sneaking up on the car..Makes it more fun..
Eventually..I will go for the Gusto!!!!
I'll slap on a bigger blower..Just Have not made up my mind yet which one...;)

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have a 2.80 w/ a 74 and it dosent matter if the idler is on or off, there is no change is boost

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was getting ready to ask you Tommy what size belt you were running with your 2.80. So you run the 74 Gatorback a 2.80 and no idler to get your times?

·
Registered
285 Posts
my recent dyno with the minmal mods was 455/476

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine made 456 and 478 with a race tune and an Accufab over ya.:mad:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Last year with the setup your describing I made 476 SAE/ 503Trq
2.8 74 inch belt exhaust, 12 inch filter, and a JDM superchip

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No idlers Matt?????

·
Registered
285 Posts
ill add the accufab and redyno when the car is back from the "tick" cyl head replacement.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
trey: quit worrying. I will bring down my NAPA 740 if ya want and my 745 with my chip, see what works the best.

My best MPH has came from a 740 Gatorback w/2.80 and 100mm idler

1 - 20 of 27 Posts