Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They're "rated" to withstand as much or more power as the more mainstream brands. Any ideas?

·
Registered
101 Posts
i know their pistons are made by JE, and i have the 9cc modmax's in my car and car runs like a dream. I dont know about the ratings, but they couldnt be any better then other big names i'd imagine

·
Registered
51 Posts
I use mod max products in all of my engines. CP makes the mod max pistons. They do sell JE but from what i have seen the CP's are better for a couple of reasons. The ring lands are flater and the tops of the pistons are thicker. Also the rings are moved down for use with high boost. I have used Ross, JE, SRP and the CP has worked the best for me so that is what i use in mine and all my customers motors. They also run a tighter clearence so there is no piston slap at idle.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Randy. Now I can make an informed decision. One question, though, are the rods the same quality as Eagle or Manley? Thanks again.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Close

micool said:
Thanks Randy. Now I can make an informed decision. One question, though, are the rods the same quality as Eagle or Manley? Thanks again.
All three look almost alike. You will able to spot the Manley's though. If you pick them you will also notice they are lighter. Now we are talking grams not pounds. FYI Ford selected Manley's for the 2003 S/C Cobra.

HI Randy. Nice driving at Bristol.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The mod max rods are modeled after the manley rods but with the arp 2000 rod bolt. The bolt is the weekest part of the rod so use the arp 2000 . Also scat makes a really nice rod to.

Thanks john

·
Registered
511 Posts
micool said:
You must have just missed the whole ModMax valve spring thing...

Sometimes the humor is lost on the Internet.

I don't really care for ModMax products so I went with Carrillo rods and CP pistons.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ayrton said:
You must have just missed the whole ModMax valve spring thing...

Sometimes the humor is lost on the Internet.

I don't really care for ModMax products so I went with Carrillo rods and CP pistons.
Yeah, I guess I did. I'm not brand loyal by any means. What I'm concerned about is paying for a name. If the quality is the same then I don't care what the box says on it. I thought Modmax pistons were manufactured by CP, though. I guess maybe they have their own design.:confused:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Well you can’t go wrong with CP pistons and the Manley rods are fine with the ARP bolts, but I am still trying to work out the valve spring issue.

Check out the DOHC forum for some info on the valve springs.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Saleen 96-084 said:
my modmax's showed up in a JE box, sorry if i misinformed
You're not misinformed. Modmax sells (or sold) both J/E and CP. I believe they have stopped selling the J/E's though.

As far as the whole modmax spring thing goes, I think it's a load of crap. The majority of the problems were people running regrinds. Another thing you have to remember, a large amount of people that are running aftermarket springs are running Modmax. Therefore, if someone does break a spring, it will most likely be a Modmax spring. Not because the springs suck, just because there are more of them out there.

Ken

1 - 14 of 14 Posts