Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone ever been injured badly, or somewhat severely?

I broke my right femur, right fibula, and tore up my knee in december from a snowmobile accident, and im still on crutches, and will be till May. Just actually got back to work this week after being off for almost 2 months. My recovery is going very well, but will take a while to get back to 80-100%.

So Im making this post from an office hahah Ive never really had an office job while being in the military for 12 years, always worked outside on the flightline in either sub zero temps and 120 degree deserts. So being stuck behind a desk for 8-10 hours a day is something new for me, I find myself very bored and I feel kinda worthless eventhough I have a job. Im used to being out in the (shit) as we call it. Definitely a change of pace.

Cant wait to get off these crutches, I have a cobra settin in the garage that needs a new longblock, and all kinds of other stuff, cant wait till I can work on the pos again, hopin to have it all done by mid May timeframe and on the dyno.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I broke my tibia and fibia snow skiing. My bindings were set wrong and twisted my leg 180*

At least you can still wipe yourself. Imagine breaking both arms. lol

·
Breaking ****
1,304 Posts
i broke a all my fingers, but not at once. I imagine breaking a femur must of been the worst pain you can feel!

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i broke a all my fingers, but not at once. I imagine breaking a femur must of been the worst pain you can feel!
I was pretty deep in the backcountry when it happened. Luckily we were able to get it straight and splinted, then I managed to MAN UP and ride it out to the the truck....good times. Never wanna feel that type of pain again.

·
I'm Your Huckleberry!
1,409 Posts
Where you at in Alaska? My wife lived in North Pole and I used to go to Elmendorf and Eielson frequently when stationed in Hawaii (yeah I know).

Man, that shit had to hurt like hell...

·
Registered
141 Posts
dude you are lucky,i broke my hip(torn it out the socket)broke my thigh bone completely in half(was sticking out of my skin)blew my knee completely out (had to get it rebuilt)and broke my femar in two.i have so much metal and screws in my leg i can put lowes out of business..had a motorcycle crash!!!been 3 yrs and i still isn't back to work yet..

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Where you at in Alaska? My wife lived in North Pole and I used to go to Elmendorf and Eielson frequently when stationed in Hawaii (yeah I know).

Man, that shit had to hurt like hell...
I am in anchorage, work on Elmendorf, I love this place. Yah, that pain I still cant describe. I know what my pain tolerance is and how much I can push myself now which oddly I always wondered if I had to push myself in a dangerous situation if I could. I did, passed out once why on the way back to the truck, but was able to control the pain a lil after that.

MVP, I hope you get better, sounds like one hell of an injury, where did you break your femur at?

I have 4 screws in mine now, which I broke mine at the knee, so I will always have range of motion issues from here on out, but I have a decent amount of it back already.

·
Registered
141 Posts
thanks broke 7,i hope that you can make at lease very close to a full recovery..i broke my femur about the half way mark and i have a rod in it the whole lenth of the femur,my range of motion is horrible,i still can drive a clutch but barely been on physical thep.off and on for these 3 yrs.i can't ride my bike anymore cause i can bend my leg enough to get to the shifter(may go air shifter)but i have pretty much adjusted to it now..

·
I'm Your Huckleberry!
1,409 Posts
I am in anchorage, work on Elmendorf, I love this place. Yah, that pain I still cant describe. I know what my pain tolerance is and how much I can push myself now which oddly I always wondered if I had to push myself in a dangerous situation if I could. I did, passed out once why on the way back to the truck, but was able to control the pain a lil after that.

MVP, I hope you get better, sounds like one hell of an injury, where did you break your femur at?

I have 4 screws in mine now, which I broke mine at the knee, so I will always have range of motion issues from here on out, but I have a decent amount of it back already.
Ahh, cool, the Anchorage area is absolutely gorgeous. I used to go there fairly regularly to work with the vehicle maintenance troops at Elmendorf regarding programs, inspections, all that shit.

Breaking a femur in my opinion is the top 5 on the pain meter for sure. Heal up brah...

·
Registered
436 Posts
I broke both of my hands, my left foot, AND my right femur about six years ago when I crashed my bike. Breaking it wasn't the worst pain I've ever felt, the medics strapping my leg to a ratcheting device that stretched my leg back out was the worst pain I've ever felt. Ya see, when a femur breaks, the quads and hamstings have nothing to support them, so they collapse, causing you to instantly be about four inches shorter on that side. SO, with no meds whatsoever, they stretched my leg back to it's normal length as I was laying there on the freeway. It was either that, or watch with a VERY noticeable limp for the rest of my life.......

ANYWAYS, get well soon Broke!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I broke both of my hands, my left foot, AND my right femur about six years ago when I crashed my bike. Breaking it wasn't the worst pain I've ever felt, the medics strapping my leg to a ratcheting device that stretched my leg back out was the worst pain I've ever felt. Ya see, when a femur breaks, the quads and hamstings have nothing to support them, so they collapse, causing you to instantly be about four inches shorter on that side. SO, with no meds whatsoever, they stretched my leg back to it's normal length as I was laying there on the freeway. It was either that, or watch with a VERY noticeable limp for the rest of my life.......

NYWAYS, get well soon Broke!!!!
wow....thats crazy......

My leg got lodged in the snow after I came off the sled. I basically folded over on it at the knee, and spun at the same time. When I looked down, from my knee down was pointed over at my other at about a 45 degree angle, and my knee wasnt bent hahaha I was like wtf.......as a knee jerk reaction I flexed my quad used my hand and luckily it all went back straight.

I think some of the worse pain was at the hospital when they were moving it around, I got transfered from the onbase hospital to major hosp here in Anchorage, that hurt even more......

Here is the damage

·
Registered
680 Posts
Last year I flipped over the front of my bike and crushed both of my elbows.

My right was basically fragmented... looked like a jigsaw puzzle and my left, which took less of the blow, only was broken in two places.

Had to have surgery on both elbows to correct with screws and all.

Doc said he would have done a joint replacement on my right, but since I'm younger he wanted to try and save what he could without doing that.

I didn't have use of either of my arms for more than three months and couldn't even take a shower while I had my splints on because they couldn't get wet... my life was a big pile of poo for a good six months.

The first time I had a shower I honestly just sobbed.... just unbelievable how good it felt.

I'm a little over a year out of when it happened and I'm just now able to really use my right arm, although it still pretty much hurts constantly. I'm hoping it will continue to improve.

You'll get better man... and I totally understand the whole worthless feeling. Hell I couldn't feed myself for three months.... or um wipe myself if you know what I mean. Were it not for my wife I would have had to hire someone to do the simplest things for me. So don't worry... you'll be good in no time.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, I knew you broke something but had no idea it was that serious. Hope you get your full motion back. At least it wasn't your clutch leg!

Good luck!
Im so glad it wasnt my clutch leg. If it was, you woulda probably been seeing auto swap threads by now. Im at a 112 degrees right now with some pain bent, 95-100 comfortably.

Range of motion is based off 0-150 degrees, With 0 being with your leg flat and 150 being with it totally bent. My goal is to get near the 115 area comfortably. I am able to ride the stationary bike and mimic walking on crutches right now.

Its definitely a gut check. Ive been in the military for 12 years now, and there is a possibility I could get medically discharged if everything doesnt go good for me in terms of recovery, but im doing everything known to man to prevent it. I have the best docs which im seen at a regular hospital vs military, Physical therapy 2-3 times per week also non military, im in the gym 5 days a week, I take supplements out the wazoo. At least if something does go wrong I will be able to look back and say I tried everything I could.

On the othernote, there will be a huge for sale add if I get booted...cobra goes bye bye........

·
Registered
89 Posts
Damn bro that suxs. A Buddy of mine broke is femur when he was stationed in Korea. Now hes exempt from running for his pt test, pushups/situps and waist is all he does.

Glad to hear your doing better. And im that cop that you thought was pulling you over on Eglin. But just wanted to check out ur cobra:beer:

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Damn bro that suxs. A Buddy of mine broke is femur when he was stationed in Korea. Now hes exempt from running for his pt test, pushups/situps and waist is all he does.

Glad to hear your doing better. And im that cop that you thought was pulling you over on Eglin. But just wanted to check out ur cobra:beer:
Small world....I remember that hahahah

I was just in Korea as well, got back last September, although it seemed like yesterday since that place sucked so much.

I shouldnt have to run the rest of my career, I will bike test, and will be qualified for everything else PT wise after I come off crutches, right now Im just waist. Doesnt bother me that much since Im a huge mountain biker.

How's eglin treatin ya?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Small world....I remember that hahahah

I was just in Korea as well, got back last September, although it seemed like yesterday since that place sucked so much.

I shouldnt have to run the rest of my career, I will bike test, and will be qualified for everything else PT wise after I come off crutches, right now Im just waist. Doesnt bother me that much since Im a huge mountain biker.

How's eglin treatin ya?
Doing good. Gettin ready to PCS to Germany. So i cant wait, bout time for me to move on from this place.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Broke- Godspeed on your recovery.

a little story about one of my friends. He played OLB in JV football when he was in his early teens. Broke his femor. The pain was unbearable. On the way to the hospital in an ambulance they injected morhpine in him. He said it was better than sex...lol. They put screws in and a rod (broke pretty bad). Long story short he went on to play for FSU on special teams and was a was on the team when they last won the National Championship. So it will heal just may take some time. Good luck.

-Mark

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Broke- Godspeed on your recovery.

a little story about one of my friends. He played OLB in JV football when he was in his early teens. Broke his femor. The pain was unbearable. On the way to the hospital in an ambulance they injected morhpine in him. He said it was better than sex...lol. They put screws in and a rod (broke pretty bad). Long story short he went on to play for FSU on special teams and was a was on the team when they last won the National Championship. So it will heal just may take some time. Good luck.

-Mark
Thanks, its good to hear about others peoples stories for encouragement. It sucks setting around not doing anything, but you find ways to pass your time.

I beat myself up every day at the gym pretty badly, Im usually in pain when I come home, but thats part of the process. I dont suppose I will ever be 100% again since the break was at the knee, instead of mid leg. I think I beat myself so bad because if something doesnt work out right I dont wanna look back and say I didnt try everything in my power. Plus it means a lil more now than what it would of when I was kid, I have a family, well set in my career etc etc....this is not a good time to lose your job.

I just hate these crutches, 1 more month if im lucky...3 months on them as of today.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
small update.....managed to get full range of motion back, was off crutches for about 4 days last week. I had knee surgery yesterday to remove all my metal/screws that were in my leg and a basic athroscopic runthru to clean all the loose material out.

so im gonna be hoaring it up on here a lil while Im laid up on the couch.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts