Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Pushrod Dinosaur
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that really opens up at 160 or 170 degrees??? Most of the ones out there don't open up at the specified temp.

gary

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
I still don't know what T Stat we have.Mine opens at 180 but was told stock t stat is 195 and then told 180.
I know SFP advertises a 160 t stat.
Without changing temp the fans go on ,t stat alone won't help much.

jim v.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well, we use/sell the Hypertech 160s on the Lightnings, and they drop the motor temp a legit 20 degrees, and the stock one is a 180. I don't know if it's opening "exactly" at 160, but at least it's dropping the temp the specified amount.

·
Pushrod Dinosaur
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jim Vaccaro said:
I still don't know what T Stat we have.Mine opens at 180 but was told stock t stat is 195 and then told 180.
I know SFP advertises a 160 t stat.
Without changing temp the fans go on ,t stat alone won't help much.

jim v.
If I remember right, Rick told me that his program turns the fans on earlier. Hmmmmmm Sal just posted that his hypertechs have been working.

gary

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ok heres some helpfull info for you guys

stock thermo is 180
I got a thermostat from south florida pulley and it indeed opened at 170...''didnt want the 160''

With ricks chip the fans come on at about 190 and go off at 180 so i felt a 170 thermostat was a great combo....and i checked the temps of the fans with a scanner so i know there close.
During some well umm performance driving the temp seems to go up to around 195 ish and the fan just stays on till it gets down to 180 so a 160 thermostat wouldnt really help any more. the stock 180 isnt really good cause it starts to close at about 185 and the fans struggle to cool it off to 180. This is all with ricks chip not sure what stock fan operation would be....Hope this helps

·
Pushrod Dinosaur
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Helps alot. Thanx.

gary

·
400 Posts
I like the 170 the best. I feel for the street a 160 is to cold. At bowling green I talk to a SVT eng and he said the same.

Rick

·
Pushrod Dinosaur
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey rick, i talked to you a while back and you said you had to send a bunch of hypertech t-stats back. Do you have a new batch that are good?? PM me a price on the 170 with shipping. Or I can call you.

gary

·
400 Posts
Testing a new MFG right now. So far they seem accurate and also will be a little cheaper then the hypertech. It's a 170 deg. Will let you guys know asap.

Rick

·
Pushrod Dinosaur
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks rick. that's what i wanted to hear. letme know and ill pick one up from ya.

gary

1 - 10 of 10 Posts