Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems that with the centris, you need to run lower gears. But I really hate gears and don't like having to shift 4 times before getting across the intersection.

I'm interested in getting feedback from anyone running like say 3.73 or 3.55 w/ their centri and how it performs. Thanks!

·
Registered
218 Posts
gears

I run 3.73's on my vobra and love them. I think this is the perfect gear for the car.....especially with my 6 speed.

·
Registered
218 Posts
breaking loose

I've got a 97 pacific green cobra. It will break loose from a standstill just letting out the clutch and hammering on it. The car also has 626 rear wheel horsepower so this helps. It did the same with just an s-trim though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have the 4.6 or is it the 5.0? I'm not sure...

Wow, 626?? So with the S-Trim, you still good power off idle? How much total power did you have with that one?

Also, when you're just cruizing, like say at 50 or so, and you hammer it, does it really pull?

I'm just trying to get a feel for the torque characteristics of a centrifugal. There's no doubt that a roots/twin screw offers more, but I may not have that option of KB doesn't put out a kit. If I have to "settle" on a centri, I just want to know what to expect. As you know, the 4.6 engines just don't have much torque... I want to try and get some more torque out of it, without using gears... I hate gears!

·
Registered
218 Posts
vobra

You must put 3.73's in your cobra if it's a 4.6. You will love it. You won't regret it. The rpm's are really decent at highway speeds. At 50 depending on what gear, she pulls. My car is a SHM 4.6. My blower is still an s-trim but upgraded impeller and pullied for 15 pounds of intercooled boost. Your right about the roots type or screw type blower for better bottom end but they don't deliver any top end rush like a centrifugal. At 50 if I'm in a lower gear the car just brakes loose. In 5th or 6th she pulls.

·
Registered
131 Posts
if you go any lower then 3.73 (numericaly higher ) with a blower you will need to shift into 5th in the 1/4, atleast w/ a gt you do. 5th runs very lean so i would not go any steeper then 3.73

·
Registered
47 Posts
DanTheCobraMan said:
If I have to "settle" on a centri, I just want to know what to expect. As you know, the 4.6 engines just don't have much torque... I want to try and get some more torque out of it, without using gears... I hate gears!
If you have to "settle" on a centrifugal? :)

With a centrifugal S/C you need to rev it to get the boost going - so gearing is a necessity. Engines like the 4.6 (especially the 32v) that make torque at higher rpm benefit more overall from gearing than engines that make (more) torque at lower rpm. Since gears multiply torque from the engine to the ground, cars with optimal gearing but less engine torque are capable of outrunning cars with more peak engine torque and comparable HP. What really matters is how much torque is going to the *ground* over time.

96stang46 said:
if you go any lower then 3.73 (numericaly higher ) with a blower you will need to shift into 5th in the 1/4, atleast w/ a gt you do. 5th runs very lean so i would not go any steeper then 3.73
For a GT yes, but the 32v 4.6 has about a 1000 more rpms to work with, so they can handle a bit more gear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts