Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have this setup and the noise of the two by-pass valves sucks. Before the intercooler I had one by-pass and that sounded great; one loud blow off sound when I got off of the gas. Now, the 2 valves blow off at separate times over and over again and it sounds nasty. I am wondering if going to one race by-pass valve (like Vortech's mondo valve) will help? I add the second valve after the cooler for better drivability; will changing to one big valve cost me drivability? Any info would help.

Thanks,
Derrick

·
Registered
9 Posts
How much boost are you seeing? If you're seeing below 15 psi, you could probally get away with a mini-race bypass... but i've never used two bypass' like you are using...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jason Kitchens said:
How much boost are you seeing? If you're seeing below 15 psi, you could probally get away with a mini-race bypass... but i've never used two bypass' like you are using...
I am currently seeing between 12 - 14 PSI.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are you venting one or both bypass' to atmosphere? Where is your mas? What you will probally want to do is to run one big oversized bypass. Probally the mondo. Espically if you are using the meter as a blow thru meter. you want the airflow going throught the meter to be as uniform as possible. too small of a bypass can cause surges in the flow of air in an air to air intercooler system.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jason Kitchens said:
Are you venting one or both bypass' to atmosphere? Where is your mas? What you will probally want to do is to run one big oversized bypass. Probally the mondo. Espically if you are using the meter as a blow thru meter. you want the airflow going throught the meter to be as uniform as possible. too small of a bypass can cause surges in the flow of air in an air to air intercooler system.
I am not venting either into the atmosphere. The mas is in the fender well before the blower. Both the valves vent into the intake tracked after the mas. I know that a race by pass would help, I was wondering what it would do for drivability?

Thanks,
Derrick

·
Registered
9 Posts
Done correctly a race bypass would do wonders. We tuned a 99 procarged car with an intercooler and return style fuel system. With a mondo race and a good tune it ran great... no surging and made around 530 hp on pump gas. We built a shield inside the inlet to the supercharger to make sure the bypassed air didnt get anywhere near the mass air sensor...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds good! Thanks again for all of your input. I guess I am going to add a Mondo by-pass valve to my Christmas wish list. So you say you "tuned a 99 procharged car with an intercooler and return style fuel system." Forgive my ignorance, but do you work for or own a speed shop? If so, which one and where are you located?

Thanks again,
Derrick

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm the tuner for Higgins Ford Performance, we are located in Douglasville Ga. We are a full service Ford specific independant shop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts