Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
still trying to figure out what my tapping noise is....wrist pin piston slap maybe?? the car has a good tune.....anything else to look for in the valvetrain....replaced all lash adjusters. i hear if it was my cam bolts it would have imploded by now.

phil

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
the noise doesn't appear till after 2k rpm, then the more rpm, the more rapid it gets.

phil

someone please help!!!!!!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Definitely sounds like something has come loose. Have you done a compression check? All cylinders should be the same if you have. What kind of headswap did you do? Just a straight 99+ PI heads, or were they worked? New or used?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
did a comp test, all is well.

phil

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kinda what i figured.....working on a loan for forged sb as we speak

phil

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Whenever we hear that tick or a customer does its a spun rod bearing...:(

Just for the hell of it,check your spark plugs.Had a lightning doing that and it wa a plug that was about to fall out of the head.I hope thats all it is,but my guess is a rod bearing.WTF is up with ford.We have built 6 motors in 2 months for people with spun bearings.
Had a 01 GT with 40k from Wisconsin send his motor to us.3 freakin rod bearings were spun.I have an 02 Lightning on the floor with 2 spun.One was spun so bad it was almost completely eat up.Not much left.
Hey,when you do a shortblock,pay the little extra for ARP mains.. Its worth it.

Sorry man,I hate it for you.

Tim

·
Registered
180 Posts
Also might be as simple as an exhaust leak at the header flange. check there also!

joe

·
Registered
138 Posts
yep mine has had a light ticking since the swap and it has about 5 K on it now and I have ran it to 6300 several times and still going strong no smoke just that dang noise

1 - 9 of 9 Posts