Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to have the rear end rebuilt here soon but i dont think it will survive another 6 months of racing without wearing out again. Was wondering if anyone has done a 9 inch swap yet? Just wondering what you did to get the driveshaft to mount up and the brakes. Thanks.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I really don't think it has been done yet. Why don't you be the first! A 9" would be cool. Maybe you got a crappy rear from the factory. I think Eaton has a posi carrier for our rears if I am not mistaken. I have been racing for a yr and 10 months. No problems yet with the rear! Hey check out the other post and answer my question please. :) -Mat-

·
Registered
467 Posts
I think Sal used the Eaton carrier for a bit then went back to the stocker.

I think even a 9" would be lighter than the stock rearend, but I am not sure I would give the stock rearend up. Thats one of the few things I havent heard of breaking very much on the truck.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its not a matter of breaking Frank. The problem is gear options and most importantly, SFI rated axles and durability. My truck see's the track weekly. Sometimes 2X a week.

I bet a 3.90 ratio gear would be the perfect gear for these trucks. We dont have that option like the 8.8 and 9.0 guys do.

I notice a lot of peg legged Lightings at the track, so there is wear happening. I think its mostly coming from the burnout box with the brakes applied that's killing these rear ends. Maybe the linelock is the cure, but i dont know.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
didn't rem put a 9 inch in their race truck they were building?

·
Registered
924 Posts
the nine inch rear end is far superior than any rear their is. I would say over 90% of drag cars use the 9" rear their are hundred of gear ratios and they can be built to take thousands of hoursepower. getting somebody to weld the spring perches and the shock mounts and make the correct length would all you would have to do to make it work. the abs would also have to be disabled. Also with the trucks getting closer to the 9 second range the trucks are not going to pass tech with the stock axles. I'm sure one of the companies out their is developing an SFI rated axles for are stock 9.5 rears witch basically are designed after the old chrysler dana 60 9.5 rear end they put in the old hemi cars and 1 ton trucks.:blob

·
Registered
467 Posts
Venomous Mofo said:
Its not a matter of breaking Frank. The problem is gear options and most importantly, SFI rated axles and durability. My truck see's the track weekly. Sometimes 2X a week.

I bet a 3.90 ratio gear would be the perfect gear for these trucks. We dont have that option like the 8.8 and 9.0 guys do.

I notice a lot of peg legged Lightings at the track, so there is wear happening. I think its mostly coming from the burnout box with the brakes applied that's killing these rear ends. Maybe the linelock is the cure, but i dont know.
I do the same, but just not during the heat of summer. I have been to the track (3 diff tracks) 4 nights one week (tues, thurs, fri, sat). However mostly just 2x's week. Considering the closest one is 105 miles one way, easy to see where miles come from on my truck.

I agree about the SFI axles and durability, plus like I said, I bet the 9" is a lighter rearend than the 9.75. (BTW conley, its a 9.75 not 9.5 rearend)

·
Registered
924 Posts
I know that just a type error I have used both rears in my race cars before thanks.

·
Registered
227 Posts
There is a speed sensor or some kinda widget on our rearends and I'm not sure how hard it would be to defeat it or adapt it to the new rear end.
Dale

·
Registered
375 Posts
It would be hard to defeat it. I couldn't picture it being "easy" to adapt it to the new rearend either. I will stick with my 9.75 thank you. :) -Mat-

·
Registered
924 Posts
If you are making your truck a race only vehicle you would not need the sensor anyway. If I had the $$$$ I would definitely do this to my truck.:blob

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would very much like the 9 inch but working like the factory 9.75. Wheres the speed sensors on the stock rear end anyways? Has to be a way to adapt this over or fool the computer in some way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts