Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i, bought my 2k2 lightning last year,i was not aware of the weak rods and the spark plug problems.Dont get me wrong,i love the truck,but it kind of makes me nervous.There is a white '03 cobra at my local ford store with 2500 miles on it.Thinking about trading.Is there any hidden suprises with the cobras?:confused:

·
Registered
87 Posts
HUBCAP said:
When i, bought my 2k2 lightning last year,i was not aware of the weak rods and the spark plug problems.Dont get me wrong,i love the truck,but it kind of makes me nervous.There is a white '03 cobra at my local ford store with 2500 miles on it.Thinking about trading.Is there any hidden suprises with the cobras?:confused:
Check the FAQ in my sig for your answers...

·
Registered
237 Posts
It might be surprising how much fun it will be -- IF you don't have one of the dreaded well-documented problems (tick, driveshaft vibe, stall come to mind.)
My car has had zero problems that I did not cause.
Do check the FAQ.
I'd snoop pretty hard on why the car was sold by the first owner.
JW

·
Registered
661 Posts
You will love the car , if you get one . Its a super car, or should I say a muscle car, the motor will handle all you put to it .
nitro

·
Banned
572 Posts
Hot Rod Harry said:
All I can say is get ready to smile constantly and get ready to spend money on mods. Cause there is no way you can keep it stock. Tooooooo addictive!!

Harry Mager
www.HotRodHarrys.com
www.Nitrous.com
and a case of WINDEX to clean the bottom
and dust rags to wipe it down from sitting in the barn

WHAT'S UP!! HOTROD"I DON'T DRIVE MY CAR"HARRY
sean

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nitrous pete said:
You will love the car , if you get one . Its a super car, or should I say a muscle car, the motor will handle all you put to it .
nitro
Yeah,my friend injector dude really likes his,i drove the car before any mods and all i can say is :jawdrop

I could just imagine what your cobra would be like!!In your opinion,should i worry about my lightning?Ever sense i heard about the spark plug thing,i have been on edge...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hubcap, I just picked up my '03 Sonic Blue about 2 weeks ago. I love this car. Ford did this one right. Here is a little info that may be of some help. I have a friend who is an Regional Service Engineer for Ford. Ford shut down the Cobra line in late October for approx 2 weeks due to a cylinder head problem. Every Cobra built after Nov 1, 2002 will have updated heads on it. You can tell by checking the driver's side cylinder head for blue paint just above the intake and below the valve cover. This is probably old news to most on this board but you stated the car you are looking at has 2500 miles on it so verify when it was built and if the heads have been updated. My car was built on Nov 14 and it has the blue paint on the driver's side head. This is not meant to down the cars, they are great but it is something to be aware of if shopping for a used one. You won't be sorry with the performance though, it is as great as everyone is saying.

G

·
Updated heads? Why should someone worry about that...with all the 03's out there that were built before the so called....updated heads?....there is not that many problems at all. Shoot...most of the fast guys have first run and second run cars that are in the 10's and they have had no problems except a broken axle or two :D We have guys with a tick in the motor here or there(usually a loosened up cam guide bolt..something like that)..and there are even cars built in December 02 and later that are doing that tick dance.

So in short......if an 03 Cobra runs and sounds good to the human ear and sense....buy it . The internet is a breeding ground for false claims that spread rapidly, which are just a drop in the bucket to how many happy owners are out there with no problems at all.

I own a second run Cobra built in Sept. (I have had no problems at all) and I am pushing 20 lbs of boost.

My dad has a first run Cobra and his car is just perfect also.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

Sonic03 said:
Hubcap, I just picked up my '03 Sonic Blue about 2 weeks ago. I love this car. Ford did this one right. Here is a little info that may be of some help. I have a friend who is an Regional Service Engineer for Ford. Ford shut down the Cobra line in late October for approx 2 weeks due to a cylinder head problem. Every Cobra built after Nov 1, 2002 will have updated heads on it. You can tell by checking the driver's side cylinder head for blue paint just above the intake and below the valve cover. This is probably old news to most on this board but you stated the car you are looking at has 2500 miles on it so verify when it was built and if the heads have been updated. My car was built on Nov 14 and it has the blue paint on the driver's side head. This is not meant to down the cars, they are great but it is something to be aware of if shopping for a used one. You won't be sorry with the performance though, it is as great as everyone is saying.

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
I just drove home my dark shadow grey 03 last night, put about 80 miles on it, I just couldnt park the damn thing, its like a drug. Im still having a hard time beleiving I actually own one.....well ford credit owns it :) but you get the point.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I say go ahead and get the Cobra....I know a buddy of yours that is going placed an order today for a new part for his 03 Cobra which is going to require him to sell his 6# lower pulley setup, I am sure he will give you a good deal on it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Injector Dude said:
I say go ahead and get the Cobra....I know a buddy of yours that is going placed an order today for a new part for his 03 Cobra which is going to require him to sell his 6# lower pulley setup, I am sure he will give you a good deal on it.
The part in question wouldnt have the initials KB would it?? :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Harry, in response to your reply on the cylinder head issue I am just relaying information I received from people inside Ford. I have found what I have been told to be true. Like anything it does not mean everyone will have issues or every car built before this will have this issue. I am just relaying what I found as I researched the car before I bought mine. I agree that if the car runs and sounds fine go for it. I just wanted to offer some of the info I found when I looked. As far as the car goes I, like most everyone on this board, feel it is the best thing that has come out to date. Hubcap, go for it...............

G

·
No Prob buddy! Thanks for the info...
Hot Rod(I get very defensive with my 03 Cobra)Harry :D

Sonic03 said:
Harry, in response to your reply on the cylinder head issue I am just relaying information I received from people inside Ford. I have found what I have been told to be true. Like anything it does not mean everyone will have issues or every car built before this will have this issue. I am just relaying what I found as I researched the car before I bought mine. I agree that if the car runs and sounds fine go for it. I just wanted to offer some of the info I found when I looked. As far as the car goes I, like most everyone on this board, feel it is the best thing that has come out to date. Hubcap, go for it...............

·
Registered
11 Posts
I hear ya Harry. I absolutely love my Cobra and will stand behind it bar none. I have a Vortech supercharged '93 Mustang coupe and a (gasp) 1987 Buick GN but this Cobra really has the refinement. I realize we are talking about a much newer veh but still..........The biggest problem most Cobra owners are going to face is what modifications to make and I know everyone will agree on that one. Take care of that car and have some fun!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts