Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
G

·
I think your putting words in my mouth.....

All we did was make and install a 26 spline input shaft in a cobra T-56, which will make it alot stronger.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
billetflow is dougwg on svtperformance if you don't know.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Doug and I have learned that the Terminator T56 IS quite a bit stronger than what we'd previously believed...

with the glaring exception of the 10 spline input it's actually close to a Viper with many of the same parts being used :D

G

·
JB said:
Doug and I have learned that the Terminator T56 IS quite a bit stronger than what we'd previously believed...

with the glaring exception of the 10 spline input it's actually close to a Viper with many of the same parts being used :D
Not many... Most, like steel shift forks for 3-4 and 5-6 (aluminum1-2 just like the Viper)

·
Pushrod Dinosaur
1,006 Posts
toofast4u said:
billetflow is dougwg on svtperformance if you don't know.
HE IS?!?!??! No way!!!!!!!!! No wonder you never see them both at the same race. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

LMAO

gary

·
Registered
11 Posts
So is this a conversion that will be available soon? Looking to swap out my TR-3650 to something stonger but don't want any of the other Tremec 5spds because of noise concerns. My trans is already a noisy, clunky, chattery POS!

With the price of the Viper trans being alot more than the Cobra trans, this could be a good alternative. I have a turbocharged '01 GT so I'll need a trans that can handle some torque!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Try picking up the phone and calling someone in the know.
I got the viper unit for my car after i snapped the input shaft.
Yes you could upgrade the input shaft however you would be fighting a losing battle because the output shaft is even smaller in diameter.
Call Don at D&D

·
Registered
105 Posts
How many people have broke output shafts????

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
G-Force is suppose to be coming out with a kit that replaces the internals and increases the T-56 strength to handle 900 hp. They have a kit for the T-5 now that costs just under 1,000 for all the gears including the input shaft.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The point of my statement is the transmission is under engineered for its intended application.
Their not breaking output shafts yet because they cant get past the input shaft.Once you correct or eliminate this weak link you have simply moved the problem farther back.
Dont take my word for it call D&D and talk to someone who works on them dailey.
Hears whats going to happen IMO.The 26 spline input will be released,someone will install it and then think"now my tranny is bullit proof,hammer it out of the hole,bust a halfshaft.Hmmmmm
Now we replace the halfshafts with stronger units "which IMO are a joke".Again hammer it out of the hole and snap,now we have a weak output shaft busted.
Give it time.
This is exactly why i chose to put the viper unit in mine.
When you fix one weak link you have simply moved it to another area,so why waste time and money doing it a piece at a time?
As soon as you stuff that 26 spline input in that transmission your warranty is shot anyway.

·
Registered
250 Posts
toofast4u......any time table that you know of for the T56 kit? Sn8kbite seems to have a point here and I am wondering if this might be the answer.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
predator said:
toofast4u......any time table that you know of for the T56 kit? Sn8kbite seems to have a point here and I am wondering if this might be the answer.
I have no idea I just saw them talking about it in the current article about there T-5 kit in the current MM&FF issue. I will be very interested in the timeframe also as the transmission is my main concern holding my power at this point.

G

·
sn8kbite brought up a very good point…

If we install a stronger input shaft then the Haft shafts will go next! (Amazon Racing has taken care of this with they're new heavy duty units)

After the haft shafts are upgraded we must then look back to the trans for the next weak point… specifically the output shaft(main shaft).

I talked to my guy and he said "No problem" so I had him install a 31 spline output shaft in the trans, replacing the stock, weak 28 spline output shaft.

So here is what all we had done:

New input shaft (26spline)
New output shaft (31spline)
New rear seal (for the 31spline)
New slip yoke (for the 31spline)
Professionally installed with a warranty

I was also assured that this "Upgraded Trans" will handle anything the Viper T-56 can.

Approx cost of upgrading your Trans will be $1250.00 + shipping of coarse.

Given that the other guys want to sell you a whole new trans for $2500.00 that's a savings of about $1250.00(money for wheels and slicks?!?!?!)

Remember…. This is not a core…. but YOUR TRANS for your Cobra…. Just a lot stronger!

Hope This Helps!

Also,
JB's trans is done and we will be putting it in tonight along with his new SPEC 3 Clutch setup……

·
Registered
277 Posts
Not many... Most, like steel shift forks for 3-4 and 5-6 (aluminum1-2 just like the Viper)
Wait.. I'm confused. What does our Cobra's have for 1-2,3-4,5-6 alum or steel. I believe I bent the 3-4 and no one makes a strong fork yet, I know because I called D&D.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Doug.....just want to make sure I understand.....the parts are available now? The price of $1,250 covers the parts you mentioned? Or is this a kit with clutch assembly also? Who do we order from? Thanks for all the info and work. Keep us posted on how JB's project works out.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts